Medina (second edition)» Forums » General

Subject: No love for this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I was thinking of picking this game up but then I had pause because it almost seemed to me that for some reason this game hasn't garnered an overwhelming amount of interest.

Only a couple videos (both seemingly extolling its virtues), not a lot of posts, complaints about reports of mold, and a surprising number of used copies for sale.

Ann I missing something? Is it that this game is too light for what it is? Is it the mold? Or something else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
Canada
Ancaster
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed the game but my copy had Mold. I contacted Stronghold and I was not happy with the response.

My local game store took it back and gave me a full credit.

I would have liked a copy, but the smell of mold gives me a headache so it was not worth keeping.

I would avoid it unless you are sure your copy is good.

As far as gameplay I enjoyed it.

I have since not bought any Stronghold games though.

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy this game... I may have to check my copy for mold though (didn't know about that issue, but now that you mention it I remember seeing a little bit of white stuff that I had assumed was dust!). The lack of posts may be due to this being the 2nd edition, and so most of the content is for the first edition (which is almost the same game, so you can use that for your purchasing decision as well).

I think this style of game is also a bit "out of fashion". It's an abstract(ish) game that can be very mean, has lots of direct interaction, and there are not loads of ways to score (you cannot co-exist peacefully)... I find it very Knizia-ish. To me, that's a compliment, but some people might find it too old-school.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game is quite cool. Fun to play, a little dry. The secret cabal guys are often talking about i think it gets enough love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently bought a copy and scrubbed all the mold off.

The game is sharp and wonderful to play (Rank #12 in abstracts), but abstract games don't really get a load of excitement. The game doesn't feature big turn-arounds or surprises in my few plays, it's straightforward and puzzle-y.

I think it's great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Mold thumbsdown
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlene Wood
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I have this game, I like it a lot. No sign of mold in my copy and I have an overworking olfactory sense so if it was there I would smell it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Maybe I'll buy a copy from someplace I can return it if it arrives moldy. Or does anyone know if the publisher has promised to replace anyone's game that arrives moldy free of charge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
The publisher will probably just politely ask that you wipe all the pieces with a bleach solution. While this is not ideal it was a simple bit of work for an evening.

I'm not susceptible to the mold smells and the mold didn't get into the paper so it was not a worry for me to cleanup.

Not ideal certainly, but something I'll accept on odd occasion that life intervenes into board game distribution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
LunaWolvesMan wrote:
The publisher will probably just politely ask that you wipe all the pieces with a bleach solution. While this is not ideal it was a simple bit of work for an evening.

I'm not susceptible to the mold smells and the mold didn't get into the paper so it was not a worry for me to cleanup.

Not ideal certainly, but something I'll accept on odd occasion that life intervenes into board game distribution.

To be honest, I'm not so sure that would be acceptable to me. Sure, if it was only a couple of pieces, I could deal with it. But if the mold turns out to be as bad as some people have described (smell and all), there's no way I'd find that acceptable after spending $40+. That's just me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:
LunaWolvesMan wrote:

To be honest, I'm not so sure that would be acceptable to me. Sure, if it was only a couple of pieces, I could deal with it. But if the mold turns out to be as bad as some people have described (smell and all), there's no way I'd find that acceptable after spending $40+. That's just me.

I've just checked my copy, and luckily it looks like only a few pieces of mine are affected. There is no smell either, but I'll definitely be giving the pieces a quick scrub just to be safe.

EDIT: Just as a followup in case anyone cares, I cleaned the blocks today and it appears that there was more mold than I first thought. The mold was confined to the castle blocks (the orange, purple, grey and brown blocks), but I'd say about 25% had DEFINITE mold, and about 50% had stuff that MIGHT have been mold, so I cleaned it just in case. The remaining 25% looked fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No mold on my Stronghold version. Cracking game but you have to play with people who don't get overly distraught if what they are working on gets gazumped by the bunch of evil players sitting round the table

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Medina is one of those games that we do like, but it just doesn't seem to hit the table enough. It would probably get played more if we had the two-player board. Unfortunately, that isn't available separately afaik (I have the first edition) and I'm not ready to buy a 2nd ed. copy just for that board and the extra bits which, I feel, the game doesn't really need anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lorthania wrote:
Medina is one of those games that we do like, but it just doesn't seem to hit the table enough. It would probably get played more if we had the two-player board. Unfortunately, that isn't available separately afaik (I have the first edition) and I'm not ready to buy a 2nd ed. copy just for that board and the extra bits which, I feel, the game doesn't really need anyway.

You could always shrink the board a bit for 2players, if the first edition had similar bits you could just move in the towers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
A great game. It even looks good when playing and seeing the completion. A bit cutthroat, but it plays quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Funky Mold Medina?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
My copy had mold on most of the buildings (the 4 colours - brown, orange, purple and grey)! ... Ack ... The mold is on all kinds of pieces ... I'll see if I can clean it ... What a waste of frickin time. Kind of just feel like burning the thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Mold or not, this is a fantastic game of tense co-creation and perfect player interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.