Subject: "DIVERTHITY! YAYEEEE!" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Staff
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marvel is at it again...
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/tony-stark-to-be-replaced-by-bl...

It's pathetic that they can't create a black woman superhero that actually is good. I find it quite lame the way they replace icons like they have been recently.
Communist agenda? Destroy the heroes, destroy the family, destroy the culture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's so unrealistic. The cops in the comic told her to put her hands up TWICE and haven't shot once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Storm?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Strobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Listen to your sidekick and eat the pennies.
mbmbmbmbmb
You are easily the dumbest person on RSP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Staff
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
costguy wrote:
Storm?

Yeah, she is cool. They didn't just switch out someone for ethnic diversity. They started her as herself.
These comic and movie writers today really are lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Staff
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ilthuain wrote:
You are easily the dumbest person on RSP.

You are easily the most offended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
Superheroes get (temporarily) replaced all the time. People only seem to complain when someone who is male and white gets replaced with someone who isn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolphinandrew wrote:
Superheroes get (temporarily) replaced all the time. People only seem to complain when someone who is male and white gets replaced with someone who isn't.

Oh, I don't know about that. Fans of Hal Jordan certainly had no shortage of hatred for Kyle Rayner.

But yeah, you're mostly on point there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolphinandrew wrote:

I don't keep up with superhero comics all the time, but I can't personally recall when a hero was revamped into something not so drastically different like race or gender. What are some examples?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
Diabolik771 wrote:
Marvel is at it again...

It's pathetic that they can't create a black woman superhero that actually is good. I find it quite lame the way they replace icons like they have been recently.

Big Marvel Comic fan, are you? Whats your thoughts on Tony's decision to wage war with the Inhumans over Ulysses or the current Mr Knight direction that they've been going with Moon Knight?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's not forget there are probably what 6-8 Iron Man titles now?(I don't follow it, just guessing) is she replacing him in ALL of them or just one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the significance of misspelling "diversity"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colmustard21 wrote:
Dolphinandrew wrote:

I don't keep up with superhero comics all the time, but I can't personally recall when a hero was revamped into something not so drastically different like race or gender. What are some examples?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ms._Marvel_(Kamala_Khan)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colmustard21 wrote:
Dolphinandrew wrote:

Are you asking for times heroes were replaced by people of the same sex/gender? Your question isn't so clear.

Off the top of my head:

Batman has been replaced a few times (Az-bats, then Dick Grayson, probably a few others).

Superman was replaced by a clone, a robot, a techie (he was black though) and a different sort of robot.

Many Flashes and Green Lanterns.

Iron man got replaced by his teenage self.

Spiderman: clones, clones, clones, Doc Ock, clones,......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreyICE wrote:
Wait, they've replaced Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Blue Beatle, Dr. Fate, and on the Marvel side Captain America, Hulk, Nick Fury, Spiderman, Black Panther, Thor, Giant Man, Ant Man, Wasp, Black Widow (repeatedly), Hawkeye, The Sorcerer Supreme (many), Captain Marvel, Captain Mar-vell, and I am literally just going off the top of my head here. I'm not even positive what they've done recently.

You're literally just angry if there's black people in comics.

And yet, he isnt talking about black panther, his own original character. He is talking about replacing a character.......
Perhaps you just do not understand the OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
GreyICE wrote:
Wait, they've replaced Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Blue Beatle, Dr. Fate, and on the Marvel side Captain America, Hulk, Nick Fury, Spiderman, Black Panther, Thor, Giant Man, Ant Man, Wasp, Black Widow (repeatedly), Hawkeye, The Sorcerer Supreme (many), Captain Marvel, Captain Mar-vell, and I am literally just going off the top of my head here. I'm not even positive what they've done recently.

And yet, he isnt talking about black panther, his own original character. He is talking about replacing a character.......

All those examples involved replacing a character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolphinandrew wrote:

His girlfriend, his other girlfriend...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreyICE wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
GreyICE wrote:

I'm talking about replacing a character. Each and every character on that list has been replaced. Some quite often. There's been like three or four Black Widows.

Maybe I understand the OP, and note that the outcry over "replacing a character" only seems to happen when the replacement has certain characteristics. I heard zero cries for help when Scott Lang replaced Hank Pym here. But maybe Diabolik can point to his passionate cries about what they did to the legacy of Ant Man.

What would happen if black panther was replaced by a white guy?
Maybe it is the degree of change that winds people up.
Replacing green lantern with another guy, no big deal, making him gay? Well, are they doing it just to look PC?
Do they not think it is worth time or effort to come up witha new character that starts as gay?
Is that insulting to put little effort in?
Oh hey, let's take this pre existing character and make them gay or black just to appease people. That is easy right? No effort?
But they wont really try and put more effort into making a gay black superhero as an original character?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
GreyICE wrote:

Well, I guess here is the question: is he mad Tony Stark is passing the Iron Man-tle to another individual, or is he mad that Tony Stark is passing the Iron Man-tle to a black woman? His topic title certainly indicates the latter, but hey, he is free to make me eat crow.

As has been stated, passing the torch is not an uncommon thing in super hero comics to my understanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolphinandrew wrote:
colmustard21 wrote:
Dolphinandrew wrote:

Are you asking for times heroes were replaced by people of the same sex/gender? Your question isn't so clear.

Off the top of my head:

Batman has been replaced a few times (Az-bats, then Dick Grayson, probably a few others).

Superman was replaced by a clone, a robot, a techie (he was black though) and a different sort of robot.

Many Flashes and Green Lanterns.

Iron man got replaced by his teenage self.

Yeah, sorry my question wasn't very clear, but you interpreted it correctly. The Batman and Spider-Man replacements are more familiar to me and I had forgotten those. I just couldn't remember a white male replacement off the top of my head. Thanks for clearing that up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
GreyICE wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
GreyICE wrote:

I'm talking about replacing a character. Each and every character on that list has been replaced. Some quite often. There's been like three or four Black Widows.

Maybe I understand the OP, and note that the outcry over "replacing a character" only seems to happen when the replacement has certain characteristics. I heard zero cries for help when Scott Lang replaced Hank Pym here. But maybe Diabolik can point to his passionate cries about what they did to the legacy of Ant Man.

One of the very few black characters would be replaced by a white guy.

He was replaced by a woman at one point. Seemed to go over fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreyICE wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
GreyICE wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
GreyICE wrote:

So there's a white guy who is the heir to Wakanda's supernatural power and takes the mantle of Wakanda's Spirit animal and gains the mantle of Black Panther? I imagine given the history of the character there'd be some outcries, and they'd have to make it work. We can note T'challa was replaced with his sister after he lost the mantle following some events or another, although he later regained his powers in great handwave, and no particular outcry was noted at either event.

But then again I'd think there'd be some outcry if they made Captain America Russian. Being American has a lot to do with Captain's identity.

So Dashi, tell me about Iron Man lore, now that you're an expert. What makes someone Iron Man (hint: metal suit)

Is your superhero name Captain Condescension?

Would she really want to be called Iron Man?
Why not Iron Ma'am?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Where were the comic purists when Thor was a frog?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

Nothing too spectacular, I'm afraid. Ultimate Steve Rogers took up the mantle of Black Panther once when T'Challa was crippled. If I remember it right, he defended Wakanda for a while, and when T'Challa got better they switched costumes again. Since Black Panther wears a closed mask, only a handful of people even noticed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Diabolik771 wrote:
Marvel is at it again...

Why are you making fun of people with lisps when you advertise that you play D&D?

That nerdy style of voice is more attributable to you than the gay guys you're attempting to make fun of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.