Jason K
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All I've been hearing is that the game is too easy. But I'm not sure whether that's the case or whether the "too easy" crowd is just the (brilliant) vocal minority.

Just wondering before I make a purchase. I like my solitaire games to be challenging.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason K
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I was thinking too. And so I was wondering if anyone actually played it and felt that it was actually challenging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
raven demarco
msg tools
I've only played one 2 player game of mageknight and 3-4 solo games of Frontiers. But I don't understand why people have been complaining about difficulty or game length.

Game difficulty can be adjusted by changing the level of the borg cubes, or by adjusting the # of tiles to # of rounds ratio. Or by increasing/decreasing the # of borg cubes required to win. More high level borg cubes that must be defeated in fewer rounds with less tiles to gain experience from = high difficulty.

Game length can be adjusted the same way. Less tiles to sift through to find borg and lower level cubes to defeat means a shorter game.

At least that's the way I understand it.

The Rulebook encourages these kinds of scenario customization and even offers suggestions for rules variants. I haven't put this to the test, but it's one of the things that shows promise to me. The ability to learn how to adjust these factors to tailor the gaming experience to suit different groups of players/my solo aptitude for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason K
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ezramantis wrote:
I've only played one 2 player game of mageknight and 3-4 solo games of Frontiers. But I don't understand why people have been complaining about difficulty or game length.

Game difficulty can be adjusted by changing the level of the borg cubes, or by adjusting the # of tiles to # of rounds ratio. Or by increasing/decreasing the # of borg cubes required to win. More high level borg cubes that must be defeated in fewer rounds with less tiles to gain experience from = high difficulty.

Game length can be adjusted the same way. Less tiles to sift through to find borg and lower level cubes to defeat means a shorter game.

The Rulebook encourages these kinds of scenario customization and even offers suggestions for rules variants. I haven't put this to the test, but it's one of the things that shows promise to me. The ability to learn how to adjust these factors to tailor the gaming experience to suit different groups of players/my solo aptitude for the game.

Thanks. That's good to know. I'm really leaning towards getting it.

Did your first play throughs feel easy? (At least, as far as the official rules were concerned?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
raven demarco
msg tools
GreatDebate wrote:

Thanks. That's good to know. I'm really leaning towards getting it.

Did your first play throughs feel easy? (At least, as far as the official rules were concerned?)

I didn't think so. Some of it was learning curve for the first few games, trying to keep straight the rules for how each different station/planet interacts. I admittedly ended the first two games early, before even flipping a core tile, to start a new one. I saw them as learning games just to get familiar with things.

The first borg cube (level 5) that I encountered whooped me good. I ended up facing 5 tokens at once and I wasn't able to recover in enough time to even look for the second (level 8) before the round limit ran out. It's possible that it was just my ignorance of what to expect, or how to build my deck, or when to make my move, or a tough token draw, or any number of things.

But I've felt challenged. Maybe with familiarity that will wear off, but for the following game I dropped the borg levels so that I could at least get a sense of accomplishment in finishing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason K
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much! That's exactly what I was looking for.

As usual, BGG comes through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ezramantis wrote:

Adjusting the difficulty of the Borg Cubes doesn't change the difficulty of all the other tokens, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Higdon
United States
madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only had a chance to get 2 games of Solo Conquest in so far, but I felt the difficulty was about right. With a couple caveats at least..

I lost my first game as I decided to jump right in rather than play the First Recon scenario, so I played sub-optimally to learn the new mechanics.

I won the second game against a level 5 green and level 8 blue Borg, but it went to the very end with me taking out the Blue cube right before the dummy called end of round. Final score was 176-ish if I recall correctly.

Overall it felt challenging, but a couple things were noticeable.

1) Map configuration can have a big impact. The tiles seem to be a bit richer in terrain, and I can see some setups that might be pretty condusive to an easy run (though I haven't actually compared it to MK to be sure). The game I won was actually pretty brutal as I kept finding crew that could only be recruited in areas that were well away from where I was at the time. the fact that I won may reinforce my suspicion.

2) The Undiscovered Cards (spells in MK) are pretty powerful, and unlike MK there's no resistance to their effects. I used them to great advantage late game to eek out my win. Of course there is at least one effect I have a question on, but I'll leave that for another thread once I get home and can pull out the cards in question.

For the record, I am NOT a MK guru. I've played many games, and probably won a few more than I lost, but I am in no way an expert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreatDebate wrote:
All I've been hearing is that the game is too easy. But I'm not sure whether that's the case or whether the "too easy" crowd is just the (brilliant) vocal minority.

Just wondering before I make a purchase. I like my solitaire games to be challenging.

Thanks.

Even if hypothetically you found beating the standard solo scenario to be easy that still leaves open the scoring element, namely that you can always play to beat your previous high score or set a score bar which you feel you must surpass to actually "win" the scenario. Plus there are some ways to adjust the difficulty of the Borg bosses for a little extra toughness in those situations.

Also on a tangent the game is quite fun playing against other people. Obviously NPC difficulty is kind of a non-factor when you're competing in a race against other players to earn the most victory points by the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the walkthrough scenario and the solo one. Both were easy to beat... But I think the concern over the game being easy is not very relavent. I got what I think was a pretty high score, but each turn of the game was engaging. Each offered a puzzle in how best to use my cards while still keeping me feeling immersed in the genre.

So while completing the scenario wasn't difficult, each turn offered a good challenge, forcing you sometimes to make a good result of bad cards.

In continuing with the solo game, another way to increase the difficulty is to speed up the dummy hand to draw more quickly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Aeschleman
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really new to this game and haven't played MK, but maybe one time...

I've been playing board games pretty hard core for the past 8 years and have about 70 in my collection. (I don't keep my bgg collection up to date btw)...and this is easily one of the hardest games I've ever played. I don't even know how you could beat a Borg Cube in one turn. I always feel so under prepared for everything...and the time constraints don't help. So, I got my money's worth on a challenging game. When I win with no "*" for the first time it will be glorious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.