The Man
msg tools
Let's say Lily finds a better bow. If she has it equipped when she is captured, it goes away, and she is back to starting equipment, But if it's in her pack, it doesn't discard.So should she put the good bow back in her pack after attacking, and equip it again when it' s her turn. She is allowed to do it, unless the terrain , like water, prevents free actions.

Is this cheating?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Cook
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
conedguy wrote:
Let's say Lily finds a better bow. If she has it equipped when she is captured, it goes away, and she is back to starting equipment, But if it's in her pack, it doesn't discard.

So should she put the good bow back in her pack after attacking, and equip it again when it' s her turn. She is allowed to do it, unless the terrain , like water, prevents free actions.

Is this cheating?

I don't have the rules on me at the moment so I can't site anything, but think of the fight scene playing out in your head. Is the hero going to put the magic sword away after each slash?

It may or may not be breaking the rules as writen, but it sure feels like it breaks the spirit of the game.

Besides that Jerry Hawthorne always says to house rule all you want. If losing that weapon bothers your group that much, just don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmb
The free equip/unequip is only allowed once per turn, so if you re-equip at the beginning of a turn, you won't be able to unequip at the end of the same turn, and vice-versa.

In other words, this tactic of storing weapons you're afraid to lose only actually works every other round.

That technically cuts the chance of losing it in half, but it's also a lot of screwing around for little gain. If it bothers you and your group that much, just do as George said - ignore the rule about losing the item.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, instead of fiddling it back and forth just do a 50/50 die roll to see if it is lost of not maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As noted above you only get one free equip/unequip a turn. So you cant keep stashing it every round. You could do it every other round as also noted above.

But from a gameplay view yes you are gaming the system to try and dodge a risk. And as a player if someone were doing that alot in a game I'd start to get a little annoyed with a constant stalling of "Equip! Unequip!" every freaking round.

Heres one solution to the risk that fits in game.

If a character looses an item then make note of which enemy got it. If you can defeat them then check if you got it back. Like roll the dice and if it comes up * then you recovered it from the foe. (Thats a 50% chance). If it was lost to a capture event and not resolved till next chapter then designate a foe of the same sort as from last chapter, or one at random and if you defeat it roll the die and if its * then there is your lost item.

This turns equipment loss into its own little mini-quest or achievement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
Working on Perdition's Mouth game content
mbmbmbmbmb
Imo it is a valid tactic as long as you do not equip/unequip twice per round.

From the heroes perspective it makes sense not to wave your sword around all the time, on the other hand to put it into a backpack in the middle combat is a strange thing to do. However thinking of the whole "captured status" it is strange as well and as described in rules it is more difficult to find a real equivalent to it than for hiding the weapon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barille
msg tools
You will most likely know who is going to be captured soon by health/proximity to enemies. So you can easily avoid some risk by playing that per each situation. I would always advise to put away anything you dont want to lose before you search. Nothing worse than getting captured and losing your weapon cause you searched and pulled the bad card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick
United States
Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
Simple solution would seem to be that you shouldn't be allowed to un-equip an item during a round where you've already made use of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfectly valid play and smart move (with the caveat others pointed out - only one free equip per turn).

Truth be told, in most fights, chances are that the situation will resolve one way or the other, until the mouse in question gets to play again. So with this in mind, a one-time weapon stash is not cumbersome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.