Popular Tags: [View All]
John Keel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get hung up occasionally on little rules details that don't make sense. For instance, why roll the dice to see what camel starts where? If it's the beginning of the race, shouldn't all camels be on the 1st space/square? Then, as we roll, they stack up as necessary. That seems to make sense to me but I haven't tried it yet (because I just thought of it). Has anyone else played this way and, if so, how did it work out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rolling the dice randomises it a little. If they all start on the first space, how do you determine which order they stack, initially?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of it this way, you aren't betting on the whole race, you're betting on the final lap of the race. They start in staggered positions because they have just finished the penultimate lap and are going into the last one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
Rolling the dice randomises it a little. If they all start on the first space, how do you determine which order they stack, initially?

Why does the order matter anyway in that case? All camels are equal, so which color is on top is not relevant.

@topic: I do not think that this variant harms the game in any way, but it probably doesn't add anything interesting either. Just pretend that the initial dice rolling is the qualifying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Keel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that actually makes sense in its own way. I'm still going to try the start I described but I like your logic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ringo84 wrote:
MercifulBiscuit wrote:

Why does the order matter anyway in that case? All camels are equal, so which color is on top is not relevant.

Good point.

It will of course turn out to have been relevant after the fact, but you're right, it doesn't initially matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Keel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They would stack as the dice come out and camels occupy an already occupied space, in which case they would slide under the camel/s already there. I'm going to try the variant out just to see if it adds anything or not, but you're right, it doesn't ultimately matter.

However, this also plays somewhat into what happens if using the black referee camel (a promo you can buy on the BGG store) where the rules state:

"When a Camel unit ends its movement on the space of the Referee Camel, all Camels of that unit are asked to “unstack” and to line up next to each other on that space. The Camels are “unstacked” from top to bottom and are lined up in the same order from left to right. (Therefore, the Camel on top is placed on the very left at the edge of the board and continues to be the leading camel of the former unit.)

Once all Camels of the unit have been “unstacked” (or a single Camel has landed on the space), the Referee Camel is removed from the Race track and placed next to the Game board. It enters the game again at the beginning of the next Leg (see above).

If a Camel unit ends its movement on a space with any “unstacked” Camels, it is placed on top of the Camel standing farthest to the left."

So ... there's that. I guess the logic of a camel catching up to the "unstacked" camels and going on top is that this new camel is now essentially passing the pack it just caught up to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Entrecruzado
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the true reason is to give the first player some information worth in order to bet for something. If you begin and all camels are in the same start spot (not stacked), any bet would be totally random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Entrecruzado wrote:
I think the true reason is to give the first player some information worth in order to bet for something. If you begin and all camels are in the same start spot (not stacked), any bet would be totally random.

Good call. That's definitely it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.