Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Max
United States
Cinci
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see there are ones in the Kickstarter, and separate boxes you can buy. Do they enhance the game in a very meaningful way?

Also, I noticed the Kickstarter came with extra walkers/fatties/wulfz. Are these used in regular play, or for larger scenarios?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuxedomouse wrote:
I see there are ones in the Kickstarter, and separate boxes you can buy. Do they enhance the game in a very meaningful way?

When you kill NPCs, you collect the minis. You can trade in any five different NPCs (i.e., different sculpts) to draw a vault item. Each of the two NPC boxes comes with three new vault item cards. Those extra cards are my favorite part of the NPC boxes, as lack of variety in vault items was my only issue with the base game.

Quote:
Also, I noticed the Kickstarter came with extra walkers/fatties/wulfz. Are these used in regular play, or for larger scenarios?

They simply allow you to have more zombies on the board before you have extra activations. No matter how many you have, you can run out. Thus the extra activation rule is in the game. But I think the idea of the design is that in theory you should always be able to place zombies when you draw the spawn cards. So this helps you to do that a greater percentage of the time. It's nice but not especially important either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kiyoshi
United States
California
flag msg tools
The ks extra walkers, fatties, runners, wolfs, aboms and necromancers are all extra to be used in your game. Has no added benefit aside from having more minis of those types.

Npc's have an interesting collectible element but I use them as extra walkers. The ks exclusive ones only add new sculpts and no new gameplay mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo Heisenbrain
Germany
M√ľnchen
Bayern
flag msg tools
I am the one who mods!
badge
Are you pondering what I'm pondering?
mbmbmbmbmb
NPC's help you in two ways: they dilute your spawn deck, adding Cards that only spawn NPCs (which are combatwise just like Walkers)
If you manage to collect 5 different NPCs you get a Vault Weapon of your choosing.
Both NPC Sets come with 3 new Vault Cards each (which is nice, but not necessary).

The extra Zombies help delay extra activations if you ran out of zombies.
I can only compare the Base game and having all the KS stuff (no addons though):
With just the Base game we ran out of Zombies fairly regular, with all the KS extras this has become much rarer. More different Zombie types and more Zombies per class helps a lot preventing extra activations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaster Mereel
United States
St. Louis
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well they are not necessary but I enjoy having them. Although, we do not use them for their intended purpose. We use them as regular walkers just to have a more varied look on the board.

And also for the vault weapons which are cool. But again, we only use them inside the vaults not as rewards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the NPC's aren't necessary. We got the original Zombicide's version and we hardly ever use them. However, extra zombies are helpful because it is preferable for walkers not to have extra activations when you run out! I more or less agree with Jaster above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now, I'm not sure I will use the NPCs. I like the added Vault items, but the "collect 5 different NPCs and get an item" mechanic seems weird to me. They'll be the last thing I add in, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Wood
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We play with them but I think they are OP with all of the cards for the spawn deck. We cut the amount of cards in half so they did not have as big of a chance to come on the map. Are they necessary. No. Are they worth it? Still trying to decide. Are the new Vault weapons worth it? Absolutely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
We use the vault weapons and treat the minis as alt sculpts for the walkers. We also pulled out enough duplicate sculpts to get the number back down to where it should be. No plans to ever use the spawn cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if we backed on KS do we have all of the npc content (minis and vault cards) or do we need to buy one or both retail packages for everything? thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first (and only) game I played of this was at an FLGS this past week. I liked it to much I bought it on the spot and also bought NPC-1 (which our session included). I enjoyed the extra mechanic they added to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.