Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: D-Day at... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
... is there some existing post/thread comparing and contrasting the three Butterfield D-Days. I'd like to purchase one of them and aside from availability, I'm not sure how to find out what key differences among them might be so I can make an informed decision. I presume rules have been tweaked, but which ones, and for better or worse, I'd like to find out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Franke
United States
Elkton
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure I have 2 of them and I can say both of them are difficult to win. They are both great games. I personally like Omaha best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will try to give it a quick spin. I own and have played the 4 games in the series (everybody seems to forget Operation Jubilee just because it came as a magazine game).

The 4 games use the basic same system but have different nuances that might make for a better or worst game. Of the 4 I would say the hardest to play is Operation Jubilee because it uses chits instead of cards. It has been a long time since I play it but I don't feel the need to try it in comparison with the other 3.

Regarding the "box" games Omaha is, in my view, the best of the lot. The reasons are various. First of all, I am more attracted to the topic. I have been to Omaha Beach and I have read quite a few on the topic. Second, the gameplay for the landing section is very simple. You draw a card and the coloured spaces fire. No moving around, no checking for empty spaces, no complications. The rules get more complicated once the artillery gets onto the beach, and on the second half of the game, but for the first half... wonderfully easy.

Tarawa is (in my book) the worst of the 3. The main reason was a design decision. They did not surround the Japanese hexes with a coloured circle, so you had to lift the units to see which one had to do what each turn. Add to that the fact that you had different actions that each unit (and sometimes spaces without units) had to take and it was a nightmare. Finally the game favoured (too much) close combat fighting.

Peleliu went back to the circles and tweaked a couple of things that were wrong with Tarawa and it is clearly the better of the 2 pacific games.

Gameplay is similar in the 2 pacific games. Getting ashore is not so complicated (although in Tarawa you can get your transports blowned below you) and then you have to fight the sneaky japanese troops. In Omaha, getting to shore you are going to suffer loses and then is a question of trying to get of the shingle (like your historical counterparts).

In conclusion. Great games all of them, my personal taste is Omaha, Peleliu, Tarawa and Jubilee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
abendoso wrote:
I will try to give it a quick spin. [...]

In conclusion. Great games all of them, my personal taste is Omaha, Peleliu, Tarawa and Jubilee.

Thank you very much for this detailed response. Very useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:
I will try to give it a quick spin. I own and have played the 4 games in the series (everybody seems to forget Operation Jubilee just because it came as a magazine game).

The 4 games use the basic same system but have different nuances that might make for a better or worst game. Of the 4 I would say the hardest to play is Operation Jubilee because it uses chits instead of cards. It has been a long time since I play it but I don't feel the need to try it in comparison with the other 3.

Regarding the "box" games Omaha is, in my view, the best of the lot. The reasons are various. First of all, I am more attracted to the topic. I have been to Omaha Beach and I have read quite a few on the topic. Second, the gameplay for the landing section is very simple. You draw a card and the coloured spaces fire. No moving around, no checking for empty spaces, no complications. The rules get more complicated once the artillery gets onto the beach, and on the second half of the game, but for the first half... wonderfully easy.

Tarawa is (in my book) the worst of the 3. The main reason was a design decision. They did not surround the Japanese hexes with a coloured circle, so you had to lift the units to see which one had to do what each turn. Add to that the fact that you had different actions that each unit (and sometimes spaces without units) had to take and it was a nightmare. Finally the game favoured (too much) close combat fighting.

Peleliu went back to the circles and tweaked a couple of things that were wrong with Tarawa and it is clearly the better of the 2 pacific games.

Gameplay is similar in the 2 pacific games. Getting ashore is not so complicated (although in Tarawa you can get your transports blowned below you) and then you have to fight the sneaky japanese troops. In Omaha, getting to shore you are going to suffer loses and then is a question of trying to get of the shingle (like your historical counterparts).

Antonio, thanks for this perspective. I've been holding off on Pelelieu, thinking it was probably rather similar in play to "Tarawa," but based on your comparison I may rethink. I agree that "Tarawa" is a slog because of some of the cumbersome design decisions. I had higher hopes for that battle in particular.

If I recall from perusing DG info drops here and there, "Iwo Jima" is in design. Hope they preserve the "Pelelieu" refinements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry Kendall wrote:

If I recall from perusing DG info drops here and there, "Iwo Jima" is in design.
GMT website shows this in pledge mode.
EDIT: yep I meant 'decision games' website
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I rather liked Jubilee, but I agree with the rest of Antonio's comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adm1 wrote:
Barry Kendall wrote:

If I recall from perusing DG info drops here and there, "Iwo Jima" is in design.
GMT website shows this in pledge mode.

Yes on Iwo Jima being next, no on GMT being the publisher.

Decision Games (I) is the publisher of record for Iwo Jima, as they were for DDaOB and DDaT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.