Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Triangulated Reviews
badge
ApolloRa Games
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played this game once, but I was wondering ... after playing it of all the things you can score points for, it seems that popularity is the most important thing to have. Has anyone won this game with only level 1 or level 2 popularity, while your opponents had more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grace
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TaylonMoon wrote:
I have only played this game once, but I was wondering ... after playing it of all the things you can score points for, it seems that popularity is the most important thing to have. Has anyone won this game with only level 1 or level 2 popularity, while your opponents had more?

Seems to me that if you focus so much on popularity that you make it to tier 3, there's a very good chance you won't have very much to combo it with. Going forward I WILL be focusing on making it to tier 2 every game, but anything more than that will be a happy coincidence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Pearson
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Loves Theme
badge
Des Moines Area Boardgamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I won our last game in the 2nd tier. I beat the guy in the 3rd tier as I had more territories, stars, and resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've won at 2 tier against 2 3 tier people, I've also lost at 3 tier against a 2 tier. 3 tier has won 2 games. So take it for what it's worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Strubczewski
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also won at tier 2 against a tier 3 player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xenothon Stelnicki
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I chatted with a guy on reddit who won a game with zero pop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Gipson
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Triangulated Reviews
badge
ApolloRa Games
mbmbmbmbmb
very interesting ... perhaps i or other just didn't have the right strategy for trying to win with less popularity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Marr
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xen911 wrote:
I chatted with a guy on reddit who won a game with zero pop.

Oh really? Interesting! What did he do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreadknot Knotdread
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very glad to hear that popularity is not the end all, be all thing to focus on. I too have only played one game but it was very close in terms of stars. 6 to 5. Everything was fairly equal but in the end, the tier 3 winner doubled the score of the tier 2 player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Loos
msg tools
While you "can" beat a 3 tier popularity player I think it will be difficult barring a players mistake. I am playing a game solo right now to just analyze it a little and Polania hasn't even left there starting area and is about to hit tier 3. They are just amassing this major wealth pool that will, I think, offset the loss of area control. I will post something at the end. I might just experiment and NOT leave at all. See if the lack of structure bonus and hex control plays a factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dutch vanderDutch
msg tools
Laosiamus wrote:
While you "can" beat a 3 tier popularity player I think it will be difficult barring a players mistake. I am playing a game solo right now to just analyze it a little and Polania hasn't even left there starting area and is about to hit tier 3. They are just amassing this major wealth pool that will, I think, offset the loss of area control. I will post something at the end. I might just experiment and NOT leave at all. See if the lack of structure bonus and hex control plays a factor.

Any update on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vigfus Vigfusson
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
There have been a number of players that have mentioned reputation as being the key to victory in other threads but my group hasn't seen this at all.

Maybe one of our games ended with the winner being alone on the highest reputation tier, and a number of games have ended with a lower reputation player beating a higher one. Of the 7 games played, I know that I won twice while on the lowest tier with someone on the second.

The extra reputation reward is absolutely worth consideration if it aligns with your board and doesn't distract you from other objectives but the largest benefit from it is if you hold multiple resources at the end. That should be a dangerous game to play if your opponents are focused on all the other aspects of the game.

Caveat: Reputation will be king if you play in an extremely passive group with a focus on gaining points rather than winning the game, and also want to play that game. The longer the game goes, and the more that players are allowed to accumulate territory/resources and perfect their board, the better reputation is going to be. If I were in that group, I'd be pushing a blitz if my faction combination allowed for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G
Canada
flag msg tools
It feels like there's a LOT of opportunity cost to amassing popularity that is not being considered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Hammerstein
United States
San Bernardino
California
flag msg tools
Did something similar in a 1v1 Russia/Crimea game, it usually involves building the sixth worker and a player mat which doesn't make it easy to accumulate pop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torgo Shuffle
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Popularity is hugely important, but it will still depend on the strategy everyone else is adopting. I was able to win a 5-player game while on the bottom popularity tier by being able to throw down 3 stars at once on my final turn (combat, objective and I think it was final upgrade) and the others had only placed 2 stars at most
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eye Human
United States
California
flag msg tools
Popularity is important but rushing for high pop isn't necessarily good, since pop isn't something without tradeoffs. Popularity is ultimately a "resource" that you get in exchange for seceding board control. Combat can tax it, production can tax it (if you start maxing out workers) but unless you get a monument or an enlistment bonus, you're going to start losing board control since the smallest variance way to get popularity (trade action) is also the weakest as the game progresses.
Taking a turn or two off to jump up to the second pop tier is easy as the game nears an end and has less of a drawback, but taking a huge amount of turns off at any stage to get a multiplier probably sets you far behind. Stymieing early game development to keep high popularity sets you far behind in progressing the game, but it's worth noting that the multiplier for the third tier isn't actually too much higher than the second tier, but taking 3 turns off to get to it is a high cost. I think the most "important" resource in scythe is actually your range of influence on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew P
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TaylonMoon wrote:

I finished with zero popularity (tier 1) with an opponent on tier 3 whilst we finished 66 vs 67 I made a mistake not realising the combat against red I did (he had no combat cards) could've been in the central hex else I would've won.

So I believe you can win with zero popularity but need to end the game on your turn and more importantly finish with moves to grab lots of hexes. I kicked 2 workers off hexes that gave me extra points and took points away from opponents. Since I had 2 popularity losing 2 meant nothing so ti was an effective strategy.

Finding the game fun as multiple strategies work. popularity is good but tier 1 to 2 just means +25% on your none money score so not so massive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
andrew_zz wrote:
TaylonMoon wrote:

I finished with zero popularity (tier 1) with an opponent on tier 3 whilst we finished 66 vs 67 I made a mistake not realising the combat against red I did (he had no combat cards) could've been in the central hex else I would've won.

So I believe you can win with zero popularity but need to end the game on your turn and more importantly finish with moves to grab lots of hexes. I kicked 2 workers off hexes that gave me extra points and took points away from opponents. Since I had 2 popularity losing 2 meant nothing so ti was an effective strategy.

Finding the game fun as multiple strategies work. popularity is good but tier 1 to 2 just means +25% on your none money score so not so massive.

Wait, I read the increases as +33% +50% +100%, with an aggregate increase of +50%?

I've played twice, and winner in tier 2 both times. No one in tier 3. I did have a chance to pursue a popularity strategy, but it would have taken too long and as others have mentioned IMO too much opportunity cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Nothing will come of nothing.
badge
Speak again.
mbmbmbmbmb
I won my first game without any popularity. I don't think it's necessary at all if it doesn't suit your plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Roberts
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're going hard money production (gonna end the game with 30 coins or so) then popularity is not so necessary.

This is how I've managed wins with bottom tier pop. (plus a healthy spread out of units and grabbing the factory)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ilovedawkins wrote:
If you're going hard money production (gonna end the game with 30 coins or so) then popularity is not so necessary.
Yup, that's what our first game indicated, as well. Actually, we only had one player in the middle bracket and he made last place...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonatan dyre
Denmark
flag msg tools
Haven't played yet but I like to ask if popularity is more important with less players?

The difference in a popularity thresholds is 1 point for each territory and a star, and 1/2 a point for each resource.

So another scoring level is worth on average something like 10-20 points ? or ?

But is it so that with less nations more territories is owned for each player and then more points gained from popularity bonus? I would imagine that more resources could be safely gathered as well.

But on the other hand with less player you will gain more taking points from your opponents and the value of well timed overtaking of enemy spaces is then higher?

what is the experience here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've won a four-player game with tier one popularity. I think the fact that I was still in tie one lead the other players (all of whom had played before) to think that I was just grabbing a few early stars, then BAM-BAM, two combats won against players with low power and I announced I'd got all six stars. Finishing on a move action also allowed me to spread out to a couple of extra hexes. Not a terribly high score - but higher than anyone else's. IIRC, two players were in tier two, but it was too early for anyone to have got to tier three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kennerley
United Kingdom
Bracknell
Berks
flag msg tools
mbmb
After playing at least 10 games it is rare for any player to get to tier 3 without compromising getting points from elsewhere - there are not many options that give 2 pop from an action compared with actions that give you 2 or more combat power and therefore get the combat power star much easier to complete and give the player more combat options

I have won games with 0 pop using the pop you start with and other odd pop gains to either gain bonuses from encounter cards or use the Produce Action with many workers.

Also at least one of the Objective cards requires 0 or very low pop to complete.

I do agree that the difference between being in tier 1 or 2 is a game winning position but getting to and keeping 7 pop can be difficult.

I think that any combat heavy strategy will force a low pop score as points will be lost to returning workers or not getting actions that gain pop and continue the combat strategy.

Gaining territories or hoarding money seem to be the deciding factors in most games as stars tend to be pretty even in most games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.