Subject: Nowhere to go, AZ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe H.
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
So the only game store in my area, Sierra Vista, just closed down after I JUST got a group together to play stuff, we cant go to each others apartments/houses for various reasons and none of the public areas like community centers stay open long enough for us to do anything. Does anyone have any suggestions for where we might be able to meet up? We're totally out of ideas. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Marana
Arizona
flag msg tools
Pax Magnifica Bellum Gloriosum
badge
In Fancy Llama we Trust
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Joe,

That's a rough situation, man. I've heard of people in small communities working out deals with restaurants or cafes to use table space or private rooms at low costs on non-peak nights. Could just be everyone has to get a drink and a appetizer, or they just charge ya per head. Just familiar with the overall concept, not really sure if either of those situations would play out.

It sounds like you are setting up long timeframe games. Could you all rearrange the play schedule to do a single game over a few sessions so it fits within the time the community spaces are open?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I had a plan...
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
In Portland folks have been meeting in a local pub for years and using their tables. Folks generally buy something to eat or drink and spend the evening. It's worked out well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H.
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
Its not so much the length of the game as they close at 5, we all get off of work at or after 5, and closed on the weekends. No restaurants around here will let us either we called around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Llez wrote:
Its not so much the length of the game as they close at 5, we all get off of work at or after 5, and closed on the weekends. No restaurants around here will let us either we called around.

What about coffee shops? Even the small West Texas town here has a couple of coffee shops that have a little room (and they are open sort of late).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fiala
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Llez wrote:
So the only game store in my area, Sierra Vista, just closed down after I JUST got a group together to play stuff, we cant go to each others apartments/houses for various reasons and none of the public areas like community centers stay open long enough for us to do anything. Does anyone have any suggestions for where we might be able to meet up? We're totally out of ideas. cry

Got a Target with a Starbucks/Cafe in it? Or a Wal Mart? I've got a group that meets Sunday afternoon in a Target Cafe to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H.
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
jcfiala wrote:
Got a Target with a Starbucks/Cafe in it? Or a Wal Mart? I've got a group that meets Sunday afternoon in a Target Cafe to play.

walmart has nothing, and the starbucks in the area are all very very small. like 4 tables, all about 1/4th the size we'd need to play Descent. It started as a joke but ive thought about buying a tent and setting it up at the park with a table, but that has its own host of problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember reading a thread where some friends met in their local IHOP to play. Gotta remember some baby wipes for the table, though.

Honestly, any place works. Libraries are great as long as you don't get rowdy. Our police department here in Colorado Springs even hosts a game night once a month in their community room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H.
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
I remember reading a thread where some friends met in their local IHOP to play. Gotta remember some baby wipes for the table, though.

Honestly, any place works. Libraries are great as long as you don't get rowdy. Our police department here in Colorado Springs even hosts a game night once a month in their community room.

Library has the same problem as the community center; closed by 5, only open for 3 hours on saturday. Ihop, dennys, and chilis all said we werent allowed to play either. This sucks super hard, i hate that i even had to ask you guys -.-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Llez wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

Library has the same problem as the community center; closed by 5, only open for 3 hours on saturday. Ihop, dennys, and chilis all said we werent allowed to play either. This sucks super hard, i hate that i even had to ask you guys -.-

LOL. If you can't ask here on BGG... then what are we doing here! This is exactly the kind of thing we should be helping each other with. Don't forget that Hastings usually has a game area at least once per week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H.
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
Odysseus3 wrote:
Llez wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

LOL. If you can't ask here on BGG... then what are we doing here! This is exactly the kind of thing we should be helping each other with. Don't forget that Hastings usually has a game area at least once per week.

....my hastings filed for bankruptcy and is closing in a couple of weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is it possible you could actually bring your own tables to the starbucks (or elsewhere)? A couple of those cheap plastic tables could fit just about any game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H.
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
AstroLad wrote:
Is it possible you could actually bring your own tables to the starbucks (or elsewhere)? A couple of those cheap plastic tables could fit just about any game.

no, unfortunately. the target one doesnt actually have any tables, and the other one is on ft huachuca which already said no to my request, since its tiny and for the soldiers -w-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Llez wrote:
AstroLad wrote:

no, unfortunately. the target one doesnt actually have any tables, and the other one is on ft huachuca which already said no to my request, since its tiny and for the soldiers -w-

You're by Fort Huachuca? Assuming you and your group can get on base, use the AAFES food court. If not there, check the USO or Family Center. Many MWR facilities can be used for free and stay open at night. We have Soldiers here at Ft. Carson who game at the DFAC (mess hall) at night. Granted, it's PC gaming using the free wifi, but the principle holds true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H.
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Llez wrote:
AstroLad wrote:

You're by Fort Huachuca? Assuming you and your group can get on base, use the AAFES food court. If not there, check the USO or Family Center. Many MWR facilities can be used for free and stay open at night. We have Soldiers here at Ft. Carson who game at the DFAC (mess hall) at night. Granted, it's PC gaming using the free wifi, but the principle holds true.

hm, i guess i figured theyd just say no at anywhere besides the community center but...thats already been mentioned. problem being they need a background check and a reason and i dont know if 'playing games' is valid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Llez wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Llez wrote:
AstroLad wrote:

hm, i guess i figured theyd just say no at anywhere besides the community center but...thats already been mentioned. problem being they need a background check and a reason and i dont know if 'playing games' is valid.

It's a completely valid reason, visitors are allowed as long as you have a pass. All you need is your driver's license, registration and proof of insurance. The MPs at the Visitor's Center will run a background check on you and give you a pass, the whole process takes 15-20 minutes. You won't be able to buy items from the PX, but the food court is open to anyone and you'll be able to buy some grub while you game. The Visitor's Center is usually co-located with whatever entrance is considered the Main Gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
According to the library website, a few nights they are open until 7 and Saturdays from 10-4. I can't tell if they have meeting room space, but, if you aren't too loud you should be welcomed to sit and play at the tables. Most public libraries aren't the silent, noiseless places some people think these days. This is coming from a librarian at a small community library. You should at least stop by and have a chat with the information/reference staff.

(Of course I could be looking at the wrong library site, but I don't think I am.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H.
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
AstroLad wrote:

It's a completely valid reason, visitors are allowed as long as you have a pass. All you need is your driver's license, registration and proof of insurance. The MPs at the Visitor's Center will run a background check on you and give you a pass, the whole process takes 15-20 minutes. You won't be able to buy items from the PX, but the food court is open to anyone and you'll be able to buy some grub while you game. The Visitor's Center is usually co-located with whatever entrance is considered the Main Gate.

TwT i'd kiss you if i could. The bowling alley said we can play there. You are a savior!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Llez wrote:
AstroLad wrote:

TwT i'd kiss you if i could. The bowling alley said we can play there. You are a savior!

And you thought you were silly for even asking here...Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if this is feasible, but how about getting a good-size outdoor tent large enough for a rectangular foldout table and chairs? You could jazz it up with your own decor, get portable lamps, set it up in a park or backyard, and stay up as late as you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddy Prior
United States
Sierra Vista
AZ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I work at Cochise College in Sierra Vista and there is a Board Gaming Club that meets every Friday from 3 to 11. You can ask the school if it is OK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H.
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
I actually didn't know that :V i'll have to stop by and check it out since my group seems to have ignored all the effort I put into solving this problem soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Hall
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The other possible option (although it may be difficult) is to come to Tucson. There are lots of regular meetups here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H.
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
juggler5 wrote:
The other possible option (although it may be difficult) is to come to Tucson. There are lots of regular meetups here.

the problem with that is the distance. 90 minutes one way, plus gas, plus wear on my crappy old car -w- I had thought about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daryl allan
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Anyone still looking to form up a table top group in Sierra Vista?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.