Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Tightening Board for 2 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dillon Lloyd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I was just wondering if anyone had experimented with making the board smaller for two players in order to encourage more conflict? I know the designer has stated he wanted to make the came ok for 2 if people just wanted to build up their own empires but I like the idea of people fighting for resources a little more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO no need. Just use the mines. You can zip all around the board pretty quickly if need be. Want to fight for resources? no problem, you can easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's another thread about this here, including my thoughts (in short, Chris is right--thanks to the tunnels, the board is already as small or big as players want it to be): https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1601189/question-designer-r...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Bieberbach
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some discussion on that topic here including some comments from the designer: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1601189/question-designer-r...

LOL, ninja'd by Jamey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Whyte
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is thread some where about playing 2 players with the Automa oponent also in the game. I think there is a link somewhere in the rule book. The Automa is very aggressive and encourages way more battle and area control. My wife and I are going to try it out this weekend. We've even considered a team game 2 of us vs 2 Automas , but let's see how 1 goes first

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there an echo in here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Ryan
Australia
Richlands
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mick_whyte wrote:
There is thread some where about playing 2 players with the Automa oponent also in the game. I think there is a link somewhere in the rule book. The Automa is very aggressive and encourages way more battle and area control. My wife and I are going to try it out this weekend. We've even considered a team game 2 of us vs 2 Automas , but let's see how 1 goes first

Ooh, I wonder how Automa vs Automa would go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Whyte
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4th wall man, 4th wall

LineOf7s wrote:
Mick_whyte wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kbieb wrote:
Some discussion on that topic here including some comments from the designer: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1601189/question-designer-r...

LOL, ninja'd by Jamey.

Yeah, you took a whole 13 minutes to post - you can't be that tardy if you want to beat Jamey .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimmydm90 wrote:

No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
Jimmydm90 wrote:

No.

no
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mick_whyte wrote:

Here's the link: Playing Scythe with any combination of humans and Automas – semi-official variant

Do note, however, that they've not been through proper playtesting.

If anyone tries them out, then I'd love to hear about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Trumbull
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LineOf7s wrote:

I'd be very careful with that. If they manage to learn from their plays, you've just invented Skynet and thank you very much for the apocalypse.

Alternatively, set the player count to 0 and let the Automa learn the true meaning of war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
Mick_whyte wrote:

Here's the link: Playing Scythe with any combination of humans and Automas – semi-official variant

Do note, however, that they've not been through proper playtesting.

If anyone tries them out, then I'd love to hear about it.

If anyone is curious, I have played solo against 2 Automas and it works very well, especially if you print up a second Automa deck for the other AI (found in the link above from Morten).

A report about the double Automa session here:

The Reverend Takes on Two Automas at the Same Time - A Solo Session Report
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.