Netherlands
Delft
flag msg tools
Attaque! Toujours attaque!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Just like to to check something..

I´m turn 2 of Campaign 1 of Valor of the Guards. As the Germans I´ve bought a module of 80 mm OBA and a pre planned hex.
In my defensive fire phase, I get to place a FFE straight away, provided I have radio contact, a black chit and LOS. This I have.
I roll for placement, and get a 6. That´s bad. The shot drifts of, 3 hexes awayy. No Russians hit.

Ok. so Far so good. I grumbl and wait for better turns..

Then it´s turn 3. FFE1 is on the board In the Prep fire phase I try again.. Now here´s where my question starts.. I did the following, and would like to know if I did it correctly..

I went thought the following flow chart questions (on the LFT RAT Pocket charts, edition 2)

- Do you wish to cancel SR? NO
- Does observer has LOS to blast height? Yes
- Do you wish to correct the SR? Yes
- Place ST within 18 hexes. I did. Back to the pre planned hex.
- Does observer have LOS to location in hex? Yes
- Are there any enemy units and all unknown? Yes
- Draw Chit. I did. Black
- Place SR a roll for accuracy. Which I do. I roll a 1. Fire lands on the spot. I can blast away those pesky Russians.

So my questions are:
- I don´t seem to have any advantage anymore of the pre planned hex. Or do I? Could I have simply started again like I did before, and place it on the pre planned hex and roll for accuracy? Is a pre planned hex just an advantage in your first shot? (besides getting an extra black chit)?
- Note that I used the word "SR". In the flow chart I couldn´t find a flow which starts with "FFE 1 on board". I used the flow chart for SR because it had the pictogram "SR" but also "FFE1" in the top left corner..

Man, arty is a bit of a hassle in ASL.. wow

Thanks,
Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
A pre-registered hex stays pre-registered. As long as AR for the pre-registered battery are placed in the pre-registered hex, you receive the benefit.

If nobody else gets to you on the rest of your questions, I'll be back later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuukka
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should have flipped the FFE:1 to FFE:2 when you resolved that and used FFE:2 flow chart.

You get the benefit of the pre-registered fire if your AR is in that pre-registered hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools

If I may, I'd like to weigh-in with a question-answer.
I haven't used the artillery rules in ASL, but have used them extensively in SL.
Is it not the case that once an artillery round has landed, you may continue to have FFE land on the same hex without proceeding through the process of spotting rounds etc? It just continues to fall on the same spot if you ask for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
If the observer can see the blast and you maintain access, you can keep repeating the fire mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Probst
Australia
Glen Waverley
VIC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tanik wrote:
I haven't used the artillery rules in ASL, but have used them extensively in SL.

You should be aware that the OBA rules for ASL bear very little actual resemblance to the OBA rules for SL. They look similar, with counters that are almost the same and a procedure that seems the same in overall outline, but virtually all of the specifics are different.

But to answer your question, in general, yes, you can skip the SR and go straight to a new FFE if you are not planning on moving the existing FFE, assuming a couple of basic pre-requisites are met.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Probst
Australia
Glen Waverley
VIC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pveenstra wrote:
In the flow chart I couldn´t find a flow which starts with "FFE 1 on board".

That's because you will never start with an FFE:1 on board. Once an FFE:1 has been resolved, it immediately flips to an FFE:2. The FFE:1 counter is, in effect, only a temporary place-holder.

Quote:
Man, arty is a bit of a hassle in ASL.. wow

Yes, which is why the flow-chart was designed. (Historically, there were several different iterations created by various people, until MMP finally first published the original official chart in Action Pack #1.)

Once you've run through it a few times the process is actually pretty straight-forward, most of the time. It only gets complex when you run into the special cases.

Most people cut through all of the red tape by just drawing two red cards in a row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.