Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Anyone used Mab's Gate to reach the Valley of Fire? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Woodland card, Mab's Gate, grants direct passage to the Valley of Fire if a character's current Fate amount plus the roll of a die equal eleven or more. I'd like to take advantage of this, but so far I haven't had the right chance. Has anyone here been able to use Mab's Gate to reach the Valley of Fire?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it happened in one of our games. Not certain though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Bailey
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
6 fate and Lucky Charm. Beat the Spider Queen to the Crown by 1 turn. Died to Horrible Black Void >.<
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Samuel Bailey wrote:
6 fate and Lucky Charm. Beat the Spider Queen to the Crown by 1 turn. Died to Horrible Black Void >.<


A very skilled and valiant attempt . . . with a very sad endingshake.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Wiese
Germany
35043 Marburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, if i am teleported to the Valley of Fire via Mab's Gate, Do I need a Talisman to enter/stay there? What happens in case i dont own one?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You would have to walk yourself out of the inner region, just like any other time you choose to leave, or somebody steals your Talisman and you're forced to.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Solan wrote:
Samuel Bailey wrote:
6 fate and Lucky Charm. Beat the Spider Queen to the Crown by 1 turn. Died to Horrible Black Void >.<


A very skilled and valiant attempt . . . with a very sad endingshake.


Some might consider that a very "entertaining" ending!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Calinor wrote:
You would have to walk yourself out of the inner region, just like any other time you choose to leave, or somebody steals your Talisman and you're forced to.


I don't think that's true. I think the point of Mab's Gate is a way to get to the Valley of Fire (and thereby the Crown of Command) without having to have a Talisman.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Fradley
msg tools
No, you always need a talisman to pass through the valley of fire. You would have to leave the inner region and find one before moving to the crown.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sithassassin wrote:
No, you always need a talisman to pass through the valley of fire. You would have to leave the inner region and find one before moving to the crown.


You need a Talisman to enter the Valley of Fire, not "pass through it". There is no requirement on the Crown of Command that you have to have a Talisman to enter it -- the Valley of Fire is the only space that has a requirement of having a Talisman to enter it.

Talismans are kind of like "keys" that you only use when you are walking from the Werewolf Den or the Pits to the Valley of Fire. Talismans are not checked at any other time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
You need a Talisman to enter the Valley of Fire, not "pass through it"....
Talismans are kind of like "keys" that you only use when you are walking from the Werewolf Den or the Pits to the Valley of Fire. Talismans are not checked at any other time.


You ALWAYS need a Talisman to get to the Valley of Fire _regardless_ of how you are getting to the Valley of Fire.
Doesn't matter if you walk, or Teleport, or whatever else, you need a Talisman to land there.
Source: The FAQ
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/27/ff...

BlackSimon wrote:
Hello, if i am teleported to the Valley of Fire via Mab's Gate, Do I need a Talisman to enter/stay there? What happens in case i dont own one?

You cannot land on the Valley of Fire without a Talisman.
Either choose a different result ("For each fate you have, you may add 1 to the result"), or nothing happens and you stay put.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
grarrrg wrote:
You ALWAYS need a Talisman to get to the Valley of Fire _regardless_ of how you are getting to the Valley of Fire.
Doesn't matter if you walk, or Teleport, or whatever else, you need a Talisman to land there.
Source: The FAQ
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/27/ff...


Sorry, I can't find where it says that in the FAQ. Could you let me know which section it's under?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
Sorry, I can't find where it says that in the FAQ. Could you let me know which section it's under?


Do CTRL+F to open a 'find' window, then type in "valley of fire" or what-have-you.

"Cursed Glade"
"Note that the Valley of Fire requires a character to have a Talisman before he lands on the space. Even if a character encounters another character on the Valley of Fire, he must still have a Talisman to enter the space."

"Transference" (teleport spell)
"... you must have a Talisman to switch spaces with a character on the Valley of Fire."

While they don't address Mab's Gate directly, it's pretty clear you need a Talisman to get to the Valley of Fire.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, the clarification on Transference is helpful. That does make it pretty clear that you need a Talisman to be able to go to the Valley of Fire, no matter what means you are using. I always thought that it was just for walking in and that if you could find some other means than walking from the Werewolf Den or the Pits, you could do it without a Talisman.

So I think where we landed in this thread is that you can't use Mab's Gate to get to the Valley of Fire at all unless you have a Talisman. Some people were making it sound like you could still teleport there without a Talisman, but then you'd have to turn back and walk back through the Inner Region spaces. But now I don't think you can even invoke the teleportation unless you have a Talisman on you.

And just to be clear, you can teleport directly to the Crown of Command without a Talisman, using something like the Arnkell. It's just the Valley of Fire that you can't ever move to, no matter the method, without a Talisman on you.

If you are on the Valley of Fire and you lose your Talisman, like if someone casts Acquisition on you, you could still remain there and then move to the Crown of Command on your next turn, though, right? The Talisman has already done its job of getting you access to the Valley of Fire, so you don't really need it any more at that point.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Some people were making it sound like you could still teleport there without a Talisman, but then you'd have to turn back and walk back through the Inner Region spaces. But now I don't think you can even invoke the teleportation unless you have a Talisman on you.
Correct. I wasn't thinking about it terms of entering the space in the first place, I should have thought about it a little longer.

Quote:
If you are on the Valley of Fire and you lose your Talisman, like if someone casts Acquisition on you, you could still remain there and then move to the Crown of Command on your next turn, though, right? The Talisman has already done its job of getting you access to the Valley of Fire, so you don't really need it any more at that point.
Yes, that is an Acquisition that was made too late to stop you. They better hurry to the Crown... or concede the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.