Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Shaunessy

California
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
This will be where I post the previews for Legendary: Big Trouble in Little China. Check back often for updates.

Starting hands, Mediocre Heroes, and Chinatown. http://bit.ly/29nShI1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sulyok
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks for creating the thread, Mark.

I'm glad to see a Marvel-esque bent to this, rather than the Encounters style game. I never felt the Marvel and Encounters sets really crossed over very well. This seems to be more in-line with that.

I'm looking forward to it more now than before!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Shaunessy

California
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
TMLTurby wrote:
Thanks for creating the thread, Mark.

I'm glad to see a Marvel-esque bent to this, rather than the Encounters style game. I never felt the Marvel and Encounters sets really crossed over very well. This seems to be more in-line with that.

I'm looking forward to it more now than before!

While the Legendary and Legendary Encounter games can be crossed they really aren't made for that. Legendary is more of a fight and the Encounters is more of a story. Big Trouble is all about the fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the previews, Mark.

Not crazy about the artwork, honestly. Neither of the cards featuring Jack Burton look much like Kurt Russell, and the artwork style on Gracie Law is super-jarring next to the other cards.

I like the look of the Chang Sing starter cards though, and I like how the thematic Chinatown location has been integrated with the standard Legendary city locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! That art is craptastic! Sorry, more visceral reaction than I expected clicking on the link. That Gracie Law card is...beyond words. This has just gone from a must buy to a no go.

Is it that much cheaper to buy the license to an '80's movie IP without screenshots from the movie? (Bill & Ted's Excellent Boardgame comes to mind-- another upcoming cartoon art stinker.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kaziam wrote:
Is it that much cheaper to buy the license to an '80's movie IP without screenshots from the movie?

No, screenshots are way cheaper than commissioning dozens of pieces of original artwork. The vast majority of gamers strongly prefer original artwork to screenshots, however. (Take a look at the vitriol posted in the Star Trek: Frontiers forums, for example.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
Thanks for the previews, Mark.

Not crazy about the artwork, honestly. Neither of the cards featuring Jack Burton look much like Kurt Russell, and the artwork style on Gracie Law is super-jarring next to the other cards.

That reminds me of the Steve Rogers head of SHIELD cards in the Captain America Legendary expansion.

Looks like a weird type of photograph that's jarring compared to the other cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TMLTurby wrote:

I'm glad to see a Marvel-esque bent to this, rather than the Encounters style game.

And that's exactly why I won't be buying this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing there are certain actor likeness restrictions. Look at Predator. Maybe the same with Firefly.

I like the mediocre heroes quite a bit. Nice to have slight variations in starter decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baier
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Azikin wrote:
TMLTurby wrote:

I'm glad to see a Marvel-esque bent to this, rather than the Encounters style game.

Any rationale for your dissent, or you just wanted to share your vague negativity?

Sorry, but I'm a little tired of pointless comments that add nothing to the conversation and you happened to be the tipping point today.

I prefer Legendary basic to Encounters for two reasons:

1) Basic is a lighter game, despite the set-up and takedown. I value having that option in my collection, right along with my more challenging games.

2) Player elimination. I had a bad experience with Alien Encounters, dying after 15 minutes of play, while the rest of the players kept on for another hour and a half! I could have played an Alien, I guess, but most the players were learning and the owner decided not to use that variant at the time. I'll give it another go sometime, but it soured my initial experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for this thread. I will check it often for updates. I will support this game 100%, on one condition; there just has to be a card with the flavor text "Son of a bitch must pay!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
elucidarian wrote:
Azikin wrote:
TMLTurby wrote:

Any rationale for your dissent, or you just wanted to share your vague negativity?

Sorry, but I'm a little tired of pointless comments that add nothing to the conversation and you happened to be the tipping point today.

I prefer Legendary basic to Encounters for two reasons:

1) Basic is a lighter game, despite the set-up and takedown. I value having that option in my collection, right along with my more challenging games.

2) Player elimination. I had a bad experience with Alien Encounters, dying after 15 minutes of play, while the rest of the players kept on for another hour and a half! I could have played an Alien, I guess, but most the players were learning and the owner decided not to use that variant at the time. I'll give it another go sometime, but it soured my initial experience.

I'll give it a go: Encounters I find to be a much better experience as a thematic co-op. Marvel has some neat little random interactions or schemes at times but the whole thing is just so modular that it's almost never cohesively compelling (I still love the game, mind).

As a big Legendary fan, I just feel that Encounters is the natural evolution and improvement of the system. I actually sort of wish they'd be able to do a tight Marvel game with the Encounters format. But your points are well taken -- while being able to provide a compelling narrative and difficulty curve (unlike Marvel, where by the end you're just powering through super-turns in most cases, and don't get me started on the awkward semi co-op) -- Encounters does increase the baseline complexity to what I would call heavy mediumweight, and due to the highly modular nature of Marvel I think it has more replayability over 15+ plays. So it's not clear cut and I think strictly ymmv depending on what you're looking for out of a game but I think they're really onto something with Encounters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Shaunessy

California
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Zenclix wrote:
Thanks so much for this thread. I will check it often for updates. I will support this game 100%, on one condition; there just has to be a card with the flavor text "Son of a bitch must pay!"

Flavor text? Why not make it the title of the card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark UD OP wrote:
Zenclix wrote:

Flavor text? Why not make it the title of the card?

Sure, that too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Midnight Rider wrote:
I'm guessing there are certain actor likeness restrictions. Look at Predator.

Hunh. You might be right about that. But Kurt Russell and the other actors are very clearly depicted on the cover of the game, no?

Midnight Rider wrote:
Maybe the same with Firefly.

Oh, god, I hope not!

Midnight Rider wrote:
I like the mediocre heroes quite a bit. Nice to have slight variations in starter decks.

Yeah, I like that, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costin Costin
msg tools
Rob Heinsoo (I assume he is the designer of the game) has posted a couple of previews here:

http://robheinsoo.blogspot.ro/2016/07/nosy-lawyers-catacomb-...

The art is...well, not good. It is far inferior to anything that Marvel Legendary has offered so far (even the criticized Steve Rogers artwork).

Important: there are no affiliations. Another shortcoming in comparison to Marvel Legendary.

I do like, however, the concept of "Mediocre heroes" (though I hate the name).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costin Costin
msg tools
Oh, and the balance seems to be a bit off in comparison to Marvel Legendary (Granted, we have not seen the masterminds and other villains yet).

Nosy but nice is a 2-cost card that gives you: 1 recruit point, 1 attack point, the ability to KO a CARD (not hero, but CARD, which will be important if there are equivalents to wounds in the game), which is triggered by a Covert symbol (since there are 5 copies of that card in the deck, easy to trigger) and also helps another player (or yourself, if playing solo). It seems too much for a 2-cost card...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
??? ???
msg tools
Costin wrote:
Oh, and the balance seems to be a bit off in comparison to Marvel Legendary (Granted, we have not seen the masterminds and other villains yet).

Nosy but nice is a 2-cost card that gives you: 1 recruit point, 1 attack point, the ability to KO a CARD (not hero, but CARD, which will be important if there are equivalents to wounds in the game), which is triggered by a Covert symbol (since there are 5 copies of that card in the deck, easy to trigger) and also helps another player (or yourself, if playing solo). It seems too much for a 2-cost card...

I think that last effect is part of the cost tbh. In multiplayer games I rarely want to help my opponents. In solo it is OP though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costin Costin
msg tools
John Blank wrote:
Costin wrote:

Its far far too early to say that that card is over-powered. In ML it was easy to avoid getting wounds entirely. Maybe you acquire wounds much faster in this version? Also, doesn't a power have to specify that you can KO "wound cards" to KO a wound?

No - in Marvel Legendary, at least, there are two types of KO: KO cards, which refers to both Wounds and Heroes, and KO a Hero, which refers just to KOing heroes.

It might be early, but even with all the powerful masterminds in Marvel Legendary, and with all the difficult setups, that card is still Over-powered. For the sake of the fans that are going to buy this, I hope I am wrong, but I foresee some balancing issues (not exactly Black Widow balancing issues, though)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy moly, this is the most disappointing artwork I've seen for a game.

I thought maybe the bad cover art was just a mock up, but this is really going to put a damper on enjoyment.

Quickly degraded from "I think I'll preorder" to "Maybe if I find it 50% off..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
How is there NO flavor text on cards with huge blank spaces? Flavor text practically makes these games.

I'm being crushed by disappointment...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cooper Christian
United States
La Habra
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Legendary: Fanboy
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Mark, with no "What We Know" thread for this version, could we get a breakdown of the number of Cards? Number of heroes, villains, and masterminds this will have?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
??? ???
msg tools
Any new information? I am craaaaving for it! :3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that we've seen 5 previews for the game (4 on the aforementioned blog and 1 here), I can say that it does not seem to be exactly my cup of tea.

On the other hand, it does seem to integrate quite nicely with Marvel Legendary, so I might get it eventually in order to have some additional starting hands. There are some nice mechanics featured in the game, so there's that too.

I'll have to wait to read a couple of reviews and see several playthroughs before I order it, but thumbs up for extending the Marvel Legendary system to other franchises! I dream about a Legendary: Warcraft that uses the same system, so hopefully BTILC and Firefly are good omens for that (though the latter uses the Encounters system).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
How is there NO flavor text on cards with huge blank spaces? Flavor text practically makes these games.

I'm being crushed by disappointment...

Add curry to taste...bam flavor problem solved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.