11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Tactical WW2 or Modern board games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Miller

Washington
msg tools
I'm looking for recommendations for WW2 and modern high tactical board games- more recent replacements for Panzer Blitz/Leader or GDW's Assault. Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzy┼╝ Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, so many to choose from. The popular WW2 ones include:

Combat Commander series.
Band of Brothers series.
ASL.
Old School tactical.
Lock n Load.
Conflict of Heroes series.
Panzer Grenadier series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir '44 and its thousands of expansions is your best bet for a tactical WWII game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
Maximuss wrote:
Memoir '44 and its thousands of expansions is your best bet for a tactical WWII game.

Well, the intial poster comes from a Panzerblitz and Assault background, so Memoir '44 would be a step down considering tactical depth. Memoir 44 is fine when you want a quick game with dudes on a map, if you want hex, counters and complexity in your games (which the initial poster seems to be pointing at) then I'd rather recommend Combat Commander: Europe or Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PanzerBlitz/Leader are 1 counter = 1 platoon. I think the best choice would be the Lock 'n Load Nations at War Series (WWII) and World at War Series (fictional 1985 Europe), which are also 1 counter = 1 platoon. Both systems share most of the same mechanics, so you should be able to move from WWII to modern and back with relative ease.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Conflict of Heroes and Heroes of Normandie are bloody brilliant games! Try them out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aldinger
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First make sure you have someone who is willing to play with you. Try the free online version of Memoir 44 through the Days of Wonder site to see if you like it. If you do, get it. It's fun. I haven't played Heroes of Normandie but it look like a lot of fun. More like Hollywood WW2

Best mid-weight tactical game to start with is Conflict of Heroes. After that I can only recommend Combat Commander. I want to really give Band of Brothers a try when it's reprinted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Kent has given the best answer if you want a recent replacement of PB/PL/Assault(platoon-level tactical wargame).

You can also take a look at Tactical GameX or my WW2 pnp project WW2: Lost Chronicles. Both are aiming at reimplementing the good old PB/PL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Miller

Washington
msg tools
Thanks for all the great responses. I had looked at Memoir 44 (My son has it) but I was looking for something a lot more 'gritty' and detailed; as far as ASL, I already do FOW and combat commander as miniatures, I wanted something one or two steps up in scale (Company/Battalion leadership vs squad/platoon)

My problem now is that I had NO idea what games are currently available...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
Or possibly a Shamwow?

https://www.shamwow.com/

HopkinsSM0717 wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
You think that's air you're breathing?
badge
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant That We Should voyage far.
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroes of Normandie!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.