Jordan Isip
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
BGG Designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're excited to release a small update today that has been highly requested since our pre-beta days of the new game page. This new feature allows you to toggle between the mobile optimized (responsive) view and the larger 'desktop' view. So for all of you pinchers-and-zoomers out there, you can now have the option to opt out of the 'mobile view'. To do this on your handheld and/or tablet devices, just tap the new toggle button at the bottom of the screen that looks like this:

As always, please let us know though our feedback channel ('feedback' button on bottom right of new game pages) if you notice any problems or if you have any thoughts or suggestions.

Jordan / Daniel / Aldie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguins Performance Project feat.
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
For a moment there I thought this was about making the normal looking-as-if-made-for-mobile game page view back into looking-as-if-made-for-desktop.

But if you fix the 10-second lag when I open a game page I'll be pretty happy anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fixie wrote:

As always, please let us know though our feedback channel ('feedback' button on bottom right of new game pages) if you notice any problems or if you have any thoughts or suggestions.

Jordan / Daniel / Aldie

Thanks!

I use Puffin browser on iOS and have always had the desktop version... It mucks up the fonts, but other than that, it's just like on the computer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
While the new design still isn't as good as the old one, on my Nexus 7 this makes a world of difference - thanks!

One reason it makes such a big difference is that I don't need to pinch and zoom, even in desktop view. As I've said before, I think "phone" v. "tablet/PC" would be a more useful distinction than "mobile" v. "desktop". In other words, I feel the default is wrong for tablets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
New Zealand
Wellington
--------------
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Kaffedrake wrote:
For a moment there I thought this was about making the normal looking-as-if-made-for-mobile game page view back into looking-as-if-made-for-desktop...

Same. Was quite excited for a moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, but it is quite slow to load.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
anomander64 wrote:
Cool, but it is quite slow to load.

The slower loading speed actually makes BGG snail edition less friendly for my phone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Noch gibt es dies Land nur im Geiste, doch stehen wir wachsam bereit. Am Feuer erklingen die Lieder für eine bessere Zeit.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not showing on my system. Tried with Codename, but there is no such a bottom anywhere on the page (using Android 4.4)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
disappointing. If you can do this, then why can't you make the old look an option?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
16 second average load time per game page on my Kindle. Interest waning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spriggyman wrote:

Clearly a problem with your connection somewhere. Game pages come up in less than a second on my devices, over 4G and wifi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
spriggyman wrote:

Clearly a problem with your connection somewhere. Game pages come up in less than a second on my devices, over 4G and wifi.

OK...how bout:

12 second average loading time on on Samsung Galaxy, major US city, major network carrier, full 4G LTE.

14 second average loading time between two different WiFi locations...same phone.

This was never a problem before the transition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Butterfield
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spriggyman wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
spriggyman wrote:

OK...how bout:

12 second average loading time on on Samsung Galaxy, major US city, major network carrier, full 4G LTE.

14 second average loading time between two different WiFi locations...same phone.

This was never a problem before the transition.

Yeah, there's clearly a problem with the new pages in terms of load time. I can load VGG or RPGG pages quickly, just like the old game pages. I know the new BGG pages load quickly for some, but it's a known issue, per the response I received after submitting feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even on my desktop PC with wired DSL 16000 connection, the difference is noticeable, VGG game pages load in less than 2 seconds, BGG game pages take 4 or more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just did a quick test for "Scythe" (it's at the top of the hotness so easy to copy and paste the URL)

http://www.webpagetest.org/result/160712_BN_PB7/

It took 8.576s for a first view and 5.861s for the second viewing. This is quite something.

From the content breakdown: http://www.webpagetest.org/result/160712_BN_PB7/1/breakdown/

MIME Type Requests
image 52
other 15
js 10
html 9
font 6
css 1

MIME Type Bytes
js 565,436 (!!!!)
image 306,127
font 177,323
css 54,133
html 25,229
other 24,665
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
benosteen wrote:

MIME Type Bytes
js 565,436 (!!!!)

And I just looked at Halo 3 on VGG and it has even more javascript (656,663 bytes).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
PROTEIN. WATER. LIQUOR.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm baffled by this. Don't your web browsers cache content? The new game pages are _at least_ as fast as the old ones for me.

Oh, and inspired by above I entered the VGG Halo 3 url in the tool. I used the default for location/browser etc.

http://www.webpagetest.org/result/160712_32_SKG/

First view: 7.885s
Repeat view: 4.604s

image 32
html 16
js 15
font 2
css 1

js 656,393
image 177,570
html 66,747
font 29,450
css 16,936

So... yeah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
benosteen wrote:

MIME Type Bytes
js 565,436 (!!!!)

And I just looked at Halo 3 on VGG and it has even more javascript (656,663 bytes).

The quantity of javascript is not that big of a deal and could easily be cached.

I'm working on an app that has 17 times as much javascript, yet renders faster than this.

There are however several javascript related problems with this site.

1 The javascript requests are not gzipped. (There could be about an 82% efficiency gain here.)

2 There are mulitple javascript files when there could be some bundling.

3 The javascript includes are blocking page loading.

4 The javascript code on the site is also doing something very slowly.

Look at profiling with chrome dev tools:

Even on my i7 macbook with 8G of ram something is choking for 3 seconds.

The good news is this is all solvable. BGG is welcome to hit me up for advice or consulting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monteslu wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
benosteen wrote:

MIME Type Bytes
js 565,436 (!!!!)

The quantity of javascript is not that big of a deal and could easily be cached.

I'm working on an app that has 17 times as much javascript, yet renders faster than this.

1 The javascript requests are not gzipped. (There could be about an 82% efficiency gain here.)

The good news is this is all solvable. BGG is welcome to hit me up for advice or consulting

Oh, I am in complete agreement with you on all of that. I was just commenting on his "!!!" after the javascript size for the new game page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
Penny of king Sigtrygg II Silkbeard of Dublin
mbmbmbmbmb
Just found the Desktop View while browsing around, and I'm delighted to see it. Thank you. I just set it on my iPad and my Samsung S5, and I'm hoping the settings are persistent.

It will be great if future changes allow us to bring stuff buried behind links back onto the main game page, and to compress the hell out of all the white space.

Now that we can get the desktop view on mobile devices, it would be really nice to make better use of the width, particularly on the game page forum listings. For most of these listings, the text takes up less than half the width of my S5 page on landscape, which means it should be possible to change to a more space-efficient one-line-per-thread layout from the current two lines per thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrome on iOS (and I presume Android) already has an in-browser tool to request desktop versions of sites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
monteslu wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
benosteen wrote:

MIME Type Bytes
js 565,436 (!!!!)

Oh, I am in complete agreement with you on all of that. I was just commenting on his "!!!" after the javascript size for the new game page.

It's over half a MB of non gzipped js (in multiple files). That warrants a little wide-eyed exclamation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.