Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've not played this game and don't know the rules. But my brother could do with a few business oriented games to help him in his studies.

By implementing the common house rules of taking out as many containers per colour as players, do you think that this game would improve enough at 3 player to have a much lower 'nor recommended', even, as with 4 player, in the low single (percentage) figures?

I ask because I doubt I'm going to be able to get together even 4 players easily, let alone the ideal at 5.

I suspect this game just naturally requires higher numbers and I should perhaps be looking elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid it really doesn't work with less than four; which is too bad, given that it's one of the greatest games ever made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'd say that it works, and works well with 3 players, but only if all the players are experienced and well skilled. If they're not, then it doesn't work well at all with only 3 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.
mb
I concur with JC. You can develop a nice tight rhythm with 3 seasoned players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
John Rogers wrote:
You can develop a nice tight rhythm with 3 seasoned players.

Precisely. Each player does his own thing and there isn't a huge amount of challenge. I love Container, but find it rather boring with three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guffaw!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally don't play with less than 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
amacleod wrote:
John Rogers wrote:
You can develop a nice tight rhythm with 3 seasoned players.

Precisely. Each player does his own thing and there isn't a huge amount of challenge. I love Container, but find it rather boring with three.

That's a problem with your opponents, not the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Only 4 or 5.

Fortunately, there is a lot of games that are great with 3, so you may have a collection and then choose the game according the amount of people that you could get together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g colhoun
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Though interestingly I noted that one of the developers, in a bgg says the game is very good with three?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hallstrom
United States
Jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Container is a great game...a great 5 player game.
Like Die Macher I will only play this with 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The smaller the player count. the more unstable the game is. The more capable and insightful the players are, the greater their ability to predict and manage the game's stability. The lower the player count, the more the player's precise expertise is needed to keep the game from foundering uncontrollably.

3-player is not bad -- there's rather a lot to recommend it -- and likewise with 5-player, but one of them demands much more of the players than the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.
mb
clearclaw wrote:
The smaller the player count. the more unstable the game is. The more capable and insightful the players are, the greater their ability to predict and manage the game's stability. The lower the player count, the more the player's precise expertise is needed to keep the game from foundering uncontrollably.

3-player is not bad -- there's rather a lot to recommend it -- and likewise with 5-player, but one of them demands much more of the players than the other.

Yep. I have played and enjoyed several tight, well contested 3ply sessions. As JC points out, it does take a veteran group but 3ply sessions have been some of my favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.