Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I promised a contest if we got over 100 members and we are currently sitting at 108 members, so a contest is what you are going to get. But, let’s make this a bit of a social contest, no heartless drawings of random numbers and picking someone to win here. We’ll make this easy, this one is for the guild members, be it old, or new. Just hop in and join in the fun.

Here’s what I have in mind, Patrick and I will be at Gen Con this year and I plan on talking to as many publishers, designers, artists, developers and gamers as I humanly can over those 4 days in Indianapolis and I’m going to try to get a lot of it on audio for some special "After Gen Con" conversation episodes. What I want you all to do is as simple as this, introduce yourself in this thread, then tell us what game you are looking most forward to out of the Gen Con Geeklist that W. Eric Martin puts together on Board Game Geek and then guess how many audio files will be on the SD Card of my Zoom H4N by the end of Gen Con. Closest person to that number will win, easy as that! I promise that the prize will be worth it, and will probably include one of our fantastic WDYPTW t-shirts from Analog Gamer. But don’t rely on winning one of those shirts, go out and pick one up!! Maybe you'll end up with an extra one!

Reply with your answers and we’ll see what happens after I get back from Gen Con!!

THE GEN CON GEEKLIST FROM W. ERIC MARTIN

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, my name's Nick and I'm a gamer. Luckily so is my other half KT. I love being part of WDYPTW - it's by far my favourite Geeklist on the Geek, and I only wish more people added to it on a regular basis. I love that certain games, such as Five Tribes seem to become bona fide hits, while other hotness seems to flourish briefly, only not to be mentioned any more. The list is a fantastic barometer of what has genuine staying power, which is what I look for in a game.

Anyway, to introduce myself properly, I've been gaming for a while now, but with genuine intent since 2004 or so, and am also a reviewer for a UK based online retailer. I tend to play in 2, but have also been spotted playing badly on boardgamearena.com from time to time.

Having perused the list, I would have to say that the game I am looking forward to most is Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set. David Sirlin arouses strong emotions, but you can't deny that he certainly puts out a decent product with a whole bucketful of playability. Will KT like it? Possibly not, but it's still the one title on the list in which I'm most interested.

As for the number of sound files on the SD card, I genuinely have no idea, but the number 152 feels as if it wants to be kind to me!

Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Maltman
Canada
RICHMOND HILL
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm Jamie, and for the longer version, listen to last week's conversation thingie:
https://wdyptw.wordpress.com/what-did-you-play-this-week-con...

In short, I've played hobby boardgames most of my life (since around '83), and more and more of late, with my friends, wife, kids, local mini-cons, etc. I really am an omnigamer, with my faves having some very heavy Euros with or without significant interaction, some thematic co-ops or semi-co-ops, some medium or more gateway Euros , and some classics.

I listen to a lot of podcasts while I do data work, this being particularly dear to my heart.

Of the many GenCon games I haven't already KS-ed (wow, more than I expected, and was one of the first to receive Scythe) or pre-ordered (Guilds of London and Networks), I'd have to say SeaFall, which a friend pre-ordered and I'll be playing with him.

78? I have no idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, My name is Paul Grogan, and I'm most looking forward to Codenames: Pictures and meeting Brandon.

Does that count?

CGE hat off, probably the new Rosenberg game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Batsell
United States
Paris
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello, I'm Rebecca and I'm a new gamer.

I've just recently went full-on with the board game hobby. I've played card games my whole life as poker is a requirement at all family functions. My first gaming memories are falling in love with the game of Clue at a sleepover, games of Family Feud (yes, the board game) with my cousins, and games of Gin Rummy with my mom.

I love listening to podcasts about gaming about as much as gaming itself. I work in IT for telephone company, so I have a lot of downtime during overnight maintenance windows. I also commute 10 hours a week, which is perfect for enjoying a lot of podcasts. Unfortunately, because of the odd work schedule, I've found it difficult to join a regular gaming group. Thankfully, I have a loving husband, while not a gamer, he willingly supports my gaming habits. I'm also fortunate that our two daughters enjoy gaming when they aren't busy with classes/school.

I'm excited to see the Schotten Totten reprint as Battle Line is my favorite 2 player game.

As for file numbers - it's a tough one, but here goes my guess... 4 days = 96 hours...of course you have to eat, sleep, shop, game (is that in reverse order of importance?)... so I'll bring that down to 64 hours available for recording and if you record twice per hour, that will give you 128 files. But I really went with 128 because binary reasons and not all that other stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
Greencastle
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, my name is Derek. I am mostly into heavy euro games. I am probably most excited for the Expanded Edition of Above and Below. I played the standard version and enjoyed it, so I'm sure it's a winner. There are several other games that excite me, but I will wait to demo at Gencon before getting too excited.

I think with some focus, 200 audio files is possible, so that's my guess.
(Brandon is going to get audio, not play games right? )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sasaki
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, I'm Chris and I really like all kinds of games, from co-op, solo play, thematic and euro gaming. What I do find, though, is that if there's a lot of down time, my capacity for strategic though goes way down the longer the game runs -- I start getting impatient and making bad moves. So shorter game play times work best for me (maybe 2 hours max), unless the game is really engaging all the way through.

I didn't see this on the list, but I believe Legendary Encounters: Firefly is scheduled to be released at Gen Con from Upper Deck and I'm really looking forward to seeing how they manage that IP in the Legendary game system.

Number of audio files? I think 83.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, my name is Bill and I currently manage the weekly WDYPTW geeklist and forum posts. Like many of you I eagerly look forward to the WDYPTW threads each week and its participants are among my favorite geeks on BGG.

I play mostly euro games as they appeal to my wife and gaming friends whom I spend time with around the table. I currently have too many unplayed games to really think of what additional games I'm excited about. I have quite a few I acquired late last year and more recently at Origins to keep me busy for a while.

I'm a card carrying member of the "cult of the proven" so I am cautious about getting too excited about any "new hotness" that comes out, but Brandon did ask nicely. So, what is on Eric's Gen Con Preview list that I am looking forward to? I'd say either Guilds of London which I missed at Origins or Seafall as I appreciate and like the legacy concept.

I think the guys will do what they can to get interview clips but will also want to enjoy the show so I'm going with 48 files.

meeple Keep playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric D
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, My name is Eric. New to board game hobby (though I jumped into the deep end as I usually do).

I'm most looking forward to hearing about Bloodborne: The Card Game. Eric M. Lang 'nuff said.

Audio File Count 42...seems the answer to everything.

Thanks for the great Podcast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Phebus
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, my name is Mike Phebus. I'm currently semi-retired and 63 years old. I'm the guy who noted that Kerensa has the cutest voice in podcasting on my ITunes review.
My favorite game overall is Rivals of Catan, a brilliant card/tile (in that you lay down cards much like you could tiles) two player game in the Catan universe. It features great replayability in that the various theme decks (there are 9 of them) can be played alone or in any combination of three. Favorite Civ game is Civilization: the Board Game, would love to get in a play at any player count with anyone in the Denver/Fort Collins/ColoSpgs area. I'm pretty much an omnigamer whose current passion is painting minis, hence lots of time to listen to podcasts. You can see some of my work in the images section of Space Cadets: Away Missions. I'm also a pretty terrific ballroom dancer.
Ok, so the game I most look forward to is: Chronicles: Origins. Wow! You build up a Civ in one module which carries forward to the next module. Instant Buy, with Davio and Knemeyer (spelling?) being the co-designers. Can't wait!
You will record 48 files. You will record 48 files. Repeat after me: you will record 48 files. Jedi mind trick or hypnosis: take your pick.
Thanks for a great podcast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mosley
United States
Raleigh
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, my name is Mike Risley and I enjoy Chutes and Ladders more than La Granja. I am looking forward to swapping saliva with as many gamers as possible playing Watch Ya Mouth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Risley
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mb
cmosley wrote:
Hi, my name is Mike Risley and I enjoy Chutes and Ladders more than La Granja. I am looking forward to swapping saliva with as many gamers as possible playing Watch Ya Mouth.

A. I enjoy them equally, but would probably pick Chutes and Ladders over La Granja due to play time.

B. I'm pretty germ-phobic, so I wouldn't play that. Ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeRisley wrote:
cmosley wrote:

A. I enjoy them equally, but would probably pick Chutes and Ladders over La Granja due to play time.

B. I'm pretty germ-phobic, so I wouldn't play that. Ever.

I'm not a germaphobe and I still wouldn't touch that "game" lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Boster
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I "joined the hobby" in January of 2014 when, influenced by Tabletop episodes, I purchased Forbidden Island and Pandemic. It wasn't until the last 12 months or so that I became active on BGG, and helped start the (almost) monthly game night at my office. I've attended GameFest and Game-o-Rama here in Atlanta, and always have a great time. One of these days I'd like to attend Geekway to the West.

The game I'm most looking forward to is A Feast for Odin. Because Rosenberg.

Ok, having now listened to the Dice Tower / Secret Cabal Gen Con Preview podcast, sounds like A Feast for Odin is not a Gen Con release. So the game I'm looking forward to is Legendary Big Trouble in Little China.

And mostly because no one has said it yet, I'm guessing that Brandon's SD card will contain an even 100 files from Gen Con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt franz
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Cardboard Carnage Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi I'm Mike Mosley....I'm the less halves of Mosley and Risley combined....so I think that makes me a 1/4 gamer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt franz
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Cardboard Carnage Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I guess I should really introduce myself haha....

I'm Matt from Kansas. I inherited a podcast (well host cuz the others don't want to I guess) a show called CARDBOARD CARNAGE. I started listening to the show after I heard a nasty rumor that Risley was/is a contributor and thought I need to hear him. Well liked the one episode I heard and have decided to start from episode 1and work my way up. I work in aircraft so I have lots of time to Listen to many shows. Look forward to more listening and interacting with the guild.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Coffee
United States
Norcross
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
I'm Lance, a lifelong gamer and competitor. Whatever was available, I'd play. My first foray into hobby gaming (at least as I knew it) was 221 B-Baker Street. I can remember going to the small hobby store to get all the expansions. I moved into video console gaming, but I always preferred playing LAN, because we were all in a room together. Then a friend introduced me to Settlers (as I know it). Then came the rabbit hole.

Now? I'd say I'm a hopeful omnigamer, just without the opportunity.

Seafall, no question. I believe this will create a life memory. It would be cool to have that to share with family & friends.

I'm guessing 20 a day, making an even 80, but on your way out you'll catch someone so I'll go 81. Keep up the great work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kellett
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi I'm Paul and new to this guild and the podcast. It got linked to my feed via my subscription to Secrets of the Lost Tomb. I listen to podcasts all day at work so enjoy finding good new ones.

I can't make it over from England to GenCon but the thing I'm most looking forward to is the chance of someone kindly picking up theSecrets of the Lost Tomb promos for me.

In terms of new releases it would have to be Tiny Epic Galaxies: Beyond the Black. I love TEG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Maltman
Canada
RICHMOND HILL
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnimalMkIV wrote:
Hi I'm Paul and new to this guild and the podcast. It got linked to my feed via my subscription to Secrets of the Lost Tomb. I listen to podcasts all day at work so enjoy finding good new ones.

I can't make it over from England to GenCon but the thing I'm most looking forward to is the chance of someone kindly picking up theSecrets of the Lost Tomb promos for me.

In terms of new releases it would have to be Tiny Epic Galaxies: Beyond the Black. I love TEG

Welcome Paul! Neat that my random encounter with a game you obviously love brought you over to the podcast! I hope you stick around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kellett
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers Jamie, Ive added the podcast to my sunscriptions on Podcast Republic so I will get them as they come out (as well as a tonne of back issues.

No idea what happened with my first message - my phone crapped out and decided to stop typing half way through.

I was about to say I love TEG so the prospect of a new expansion is awesome.

Finally I reckon there will be 206 audio files on your recording whatsit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryant Hudson
United States
Cullman
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I'm Bryant. I just subscribed to your podcast and my first episode was the one with Maggibot. I enjoyed the conversation and looking forward to more.

I've been gaming since the early 80's with AD&D 2nd edition, Axis & Allies and Shogun. Most of the 90's were spent playing Magic, Star Wars and Star Trek CCG's by Decipher.

I finally got back into hobby gaming from watching TableTop and then stumbling onto the Dice Tower. I've got about 30+ games currently but I research a lot before buying anything as I don't have a big budget or many people to play with.

After my initial gateway game purchases, I've taken a shine to medium weight Euro's like Russian Railroads and The Voyages of Marco Polo.

I am most looking forward to Terraforming Mars.

I'll guess 27 files.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Acosta
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Howard University College of Medicine
badge
Reptar, King of the Ozone
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, there! My name is Joshua, and I've been listening to the WDYPTW Podcast Thing for about 4-5 months now. I've been waiting for the right time to post on the guild/review on iTunes, because I have this weird anxiety regarding posting ANYTHING online, knowing that my words are permanent. It's weird and phobic, but that's just where I am at this point in my life... So maybe someday I will muster the courage to write my iTunes review, and hopefully replying on this thread will give me the impetus necessary to reply to other threads in the future.

Anyway, I want to just mention briefly some thing that I like about the podcast. Of course, I listen to the podcast to hear about what games the host(s)/contributors have been playing (which is always neat), but I especially love the WDYPTWPT's unique recurring contributor segments. In no particular order, my top 3 favorite segments (at this moment) are 1: Annabeth's Story Cubes, 2: Derek Davis's Evolving Reviews, and the new-ish addition of 3: Jessica Wade's Highlights/Lowlights.

I would love to some day get to hang out with the WDYPTW crew and play some games, but until then, I'm content and thankful that for the opportunity to listen weekly to their musings (and the word "weekly" is something that I am not quick to take for granted! A big "bravo!" to all of the crew for your hard work every week for us listeners!)
Although I'm not going to GenCon, I am really looking forward to Tesla vs. Edison: Powering Up! Expansion coming out. I backed this game on kickstarter after playing the base game once several months prior, and I just love the theme, historical context, and mechanics it brings to the table/gameplay experience. Super stoked for this release and excited for it to arrive on my doorstep someday soon!

As for the contest, my guess is that Brandon will come back with 67 recordings on his SD card. Great idea for a contest, Brandon/Kerensa! Now back to listening to this week's WDYPTW Podcast Thing..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruth Ashton
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi All! I'm Ruth and I've been playing board games for as long as I can remember. I've got vivid memories of playing Mastermind and Scotland Yard with my little brother (who also still loves board games).

I grew up and married a gamer and now we have 4 tiny gamers in training. We play mostly 2p at home after the kids go to bed (or, while we are dealing with fussy babies in the evening), 3p kids games with our oldest (almost 5), or online with anyone who will play with us.

I'm looking forward to Terraforming Mars and I think Brandon will have 350 files by the end of the week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Meyer
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good morning everyone! I'm Chris and I have been playing games for quite a while. I have always played games, but I didn't become seriously invested in board games until last year. The first "modern" board game I played a number of years ago was Ticket to Ride. I was walking through town, wandered into the board game store I passed, and picked TTR semi randomly. But I've always been around them from Warhammer many year ago through various card games and Catan in college. I love them and even have a few in the design phases =)

I just started listening to WDYPTWPT and am enjoying it so far =) It gets a spot on my very full podcast list =P

I wish I was going to GenCon, but I think I'm most looking forward to Adrenaline. It just sounds like a really cool concept. As for a game I would buy it would have to be Simurgh. I got a chance to play the game last week and I LOVED it. Fantastic game.

Hmmm.... I think Brandon is going to end up with 200 files.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Weaver
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
fivebygames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I need to jump in here, since I keep meaning to and putting it off.

My name is Mason - I'm a WDYPTW contributor. I'm run an organic garden at a hunger relief non-profit.

I like euros, economic games, engine builders, tableau builders, civ games and trick takers.

I recuse myself from the contest, but I think Brandon will have 857 files on the Zoom. 789 of them will be one second long, or just Brandon saying "hold on, i think its..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.