Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering. I could put them to use if someone has.

Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose so, that might be ideal, actually.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's a long story actually, but we play several miniature games: Star Wars and D&D minis, here, and when I play solo I have a method I've used for a decade that is tried and true.

The minis each have a stat card associated with them. I pick out the two teams, mostly at random, randomly place them on the board, then shuffle the cards and put them in a stack. I draw a card from the top and activate that particular piece, then draw the next and activate it.

While this obviates all of the strategic elements of the game, it highlights the tactical. And to sit down for half an hour in the morning with a cup of coffee or the evening with a beer and simply respond as best I can to the options available for each figure as it comes into play, is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for in a game.

So . . .the idea was to randomly place two teams on the AtB boards and activate one at a time at random via the cards.

That make sense?

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it'd be a step up from playing both sides to best advantage, having this clever AI.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Robbage wrote:
Well, it's a long story actually, but we play several miniature games: Star Wars and D&D minis, here, and when I play solo I have a method I've used for a decade that is tried and true.

The minis each have a stat card associated with them. I pick out the two teams, mostly at random, randomly place them on the board, then shuffle the cards and put them in a stack. I draw a card from the top and activate that particular piece, then draw the next and activate it.

While this obviates all of the strategic elements of the game, it highlights the tactical. And to sit down for half an hour in the morning with a cup of coffee or the evening with a beer and simply respond as best I can to the options available for each figure as it comes into play, is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for in a game.

So . . .the idea was to randomly place two teams on the AtB boards and activate one at a time at random via the cards.

That make sense?



That's how I played Dust Tactics and even Heroes of Normandie.

However using the spent check system from the solo expansion (or download) you can introduce just as much tension.

For HoN I made a set of activation chits. You put one on each counter and one into a draw cup. Then you draw each number and activate. Certainly better than custom cards for each game.



Numbered Chits for Adding Chit Pull to Games
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the spent check system will work well and give me more of the feel of another guy playing with me. As for chits, I just don't like them in a bag. It's a bit of a tactile thing but I like the single deck of cards in front of me and the active unit on top.

With the other mini games I need the cards at hand to determine dv and record damage and such, obviated here with the chits and damage tokens.

I will do a second set of chits or your method, if that turns out to be the only option.

Thanks for the input, Kevin!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Robbage wrote:
As for chits, I just don't like them in a bag. It's a bit of a tactile thing but I like the single deck of cards in front of me and the active unit on top.

Use a set of chits and cards. Make a set of chits to put on the units in play (not randomized), then use a matching set of cards that have those chits printed on them.

You get the best of both worlds then: A portable generic activation system that will work with many games, plus you're still shuffling and drawing cards rather than chits.

In fact, this system could allow you to get creative by modifying the draw deck to customize the scenario. For example, do you want the enemy infantry units to activate twice as often as enemy vehicles? Put doubles of each of their cards in the deck. Or maybe you want certain enemy units to always activate as a group? Put the same chit number on those units so they both activate when the card is drawn. Get creative!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
Robbage wrote:
As for chits, I just don't like them in a bag. It's a bit of a tactile thing but I like the single deck of cards in front of me and the active unit on top.

Use a set of chits and cards. Make a set of chits to put on the units in play (not randomized), then use a matching set of cards that have those chits printed on them.

You get the best of both worlds then: A portable generic activation system that will work with many games, plus you're still shuffling and drawing cards rather than chits.

In fact, this system could allow you to get creative by modifying the draw deck to customize the scenario. For example, do you want the enemy infantry units to activate twice as often as enemy vehicles? Put doubles of each of their cards in the deck. Or maybe you want certain enemy units to always activate as a group? Put the same chit number on those units so they both activate when the card is drawn. Get creative!


But do make them separate as I did above. Sometimes you'll want to draw one side, then the other. Sometimes you'll want to just randomly draw from all the options.

In fact, if you do as suggested here, simply make chits/markers that are the same as a deck of playing cards, then use those playing cards to shuffle and draw your activations. For units to activate twice (if you want that in some games), assigned "red" to one side and "black" to the other and then either heart or diamond "three" activates the red three on the board. You could also use the jokers for an "end of round" timer... so that when the second joker is drawn, no more activations and reshuffle.

Oooh... starting to like this, though I don't mind using chits and in fact prefer it (not from a bag -- ick! but the draw cup).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For simplicity's sake I would flip a card activate a unit and call it done. Sure, it leaves out the spent check mechanism, and group activations are problematic, but doable.

Cards give you are an easy to file system (numerically), too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Robbage wrote:
For simplicity's sake I would flip a card activate a unit and call it done. Sure, it leaves out the spent check mechanism, and group activations are problematic, but doable.

Cards give you are an easy to file system (numerically), too.


Activate for what? A single action?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, same way I play solo with SWM/DDM. Or could pull spent checks and run additional activations if they stay active. But I want it to happen right then and there for that one unit; I don't come back for it later. The hand of cards dictates the sequence of activations.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Robbage wrote:
Correct, same way I play solo with SWM/DDM. Or could pull spent checks and run additional activations if they stay active. But I want it to happen right then and there for that one unit; I don't come back for it later. The hand of cards dictates the sequence of activations.


But you're missing the point of COH in this. Actions are small and each costs points. Are you keeping the 7 APs per unit and just doing their whole move at once? What about CAPS?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am, you're right (missing). It's an experiment. If it works I'll have a greatly simplified version of CoH. On the other hand, I may have a more sophisticated version of my own MO.

If I get the cards worked out I'll let you know.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.