Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been scouring the internet to decide on storage options but already my collection was getting out of hand for the factory insert, I'm planning to sleeve all my cards and wanted a quick and simple solution till I decided how to proceed with long term storage of what could ultimately be 4620+ cards and counting.

There are some lovely options on the internet including the hobbycraft case inserts that was tempting but ultimately costly option shipping in the UK. A simple card hotel was also a much cheaper alternative.

I was very close to purchasing either a basically wooden box or insert but remained uncertain due to the modular nature of the game.

While I was still deciding where to go I returned my attention to the game box insert tried to rig a quick divider out of it, it seemed a shame with the nice images to throw it away.

Here is the result, holding ffg sleeved cards of the core and two adventure packs:

This should hold close to two cycles but we shall see!

As bgg is such a helpful place I thought I'd quickly* explain how I did it for others. You only need a ruler, there is no cutting needed! You might want to score the card for some of the folds but it is not absolutely necessary.

STEP BY STEP GUIDE TO INVERTING INSERT

1. Take out the original insert. The plan is just to invert the insert so the raised sections are flat and the original tray is raised.

Before and After

2. On the raised sections with the cover image take a sleeved card and test the size by folding up the sides that were down. (if not using sleeved cards you likely wont need to alter this bit).

If if it doesn't fit (ideally with a little wiggle room, use a ruler to fold the outer fold slightly further out (that's the upper one in the image cutting across the tree and the necromancers tower) you can see my extra fold if looking closely. This will make the side wall. Make sure you run the sleeved card up and down the length to ensure the base is the right width all the way along. Now repeat for the other side.

3. Now we need to make the corner flaps fit around our side walls. Whether or not you made alterations in step 2, these flaps still need to be altered slightly. You could cut them off but it adds to the rigidity of the insert left in.

As in the image, measure and and score the outer corner flaps approx 4cms from the edge.

This will allow the corner flap to fit snugly behind the new side wall:

4. Attempt to put the inverted insert into the box. You will likely need to overlap the small inner flaps to get it to fit.

5. It is very likely that the sleeved cards will not quite fit standing on its edge yet as the inner raised section is slightly wider at the top. Test this first by standing a sleeved card upright and run it down the length of the new insert.

If needed to remedy this; remove the insert again turn it face down and redo both the folds that makes the top edges of the new raised section by approx 2-3mm further in to the middle. In the image below the ruler is along the one of the new folds, with the previous fold just to the left of it.

The aim is to make the new raised section slightly thinner at the top (but not too thin that it stands higher than the box.)

6. Now replace and test your new insert for size. Return to previous steps as needed to get the right size.

Enjoy!

I have some plans to use the old punchboards as dividers and create a new section in the middle raised section but I'll leave that for version 2.

*This actually took longer to write and upload the pictures that it did make the alterations!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Nierste
United States
North Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just flipped mine upside down but eventually ended up having to cut out the middle section too to get three rows. Two cores is enough to hold my collection of everything up to The Dread Realm not including any PoD packs. It would have been nice had I thought to invert when I had only two rows, though. Nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Eight ball, corner pocket
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat idea! I am possibly looking to grow our collection beyond the first core, and this should help nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.