12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: I need help writing/explaining a move rule rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eriek Douraan
Mexico
flag msg tools
Hi, so I'm working on a game (aren't we all?) and one major sticking point I keep running into is explaining the basic move/turn. It works like this:

On their turn, a player places a base on any empty square of the board (square grid board.)

(OK, so far, so good, but this is where everyone gets confused.)

If there are any other bases of theirs (from previous turns) in the 8 squares surrounding the one they just placed, they have to draw a line* connecting the new base to any and all of those bases already there in the 8 squares around it, unless there is an existing line in the way made by the other player.

*Think this might be a crayon rails game, but they could use stick pieces instead.

This point of this is to keep track of connections across diagonals.

Sorry if that's clear as mud but that's the best I could explain it. Help? How can I write/explain it better???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Draw a line/Place a connection from your newly placed base to all your bases that are immediately adjacent, including diagonally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Jensen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pickles2000 wrote:
draw a line*

Like, literally draw a line with a pen? And draw on the board?

Or more like, you want us to draw a line in our head to illustrate the rule you're trying to explain?

I'm getting hung up on the word "draw".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eriek Douraan
Mexico
flag msg tools
PlayBosco wrote:
Pickles2000 wrote:
draw a line*

Like, literally draw a line with a pen? And draw on the board?

Or more like, you want us to draw a line in our head to illustrate the rule you're trying to explain?

I'm getting hung up on the word "draw".

Hi Rebecca, yes....I'm thinking it will probably be a crayon rails type game where you use a dry erase (so it can be wiped off) marker to draw on the board, BUT I might end up going with using a stick piece instead.

Crayon rail system: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamemechanic/2010/crayon-rail...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Kilgore
msg tools
designer
You could use the term "open/closed connections ".
After placing a base players connect it to all of their open adjacent bases. Bases are considered open if there are no opponents connections between them and the newly placed base.
Diagonal bases are considered adjacent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eriek Douraan
Mexico
flag msg tools
I like it , but the only thing though is that a base will probably be "open" from one direction and "closed" from another. I think maybe that could cause confusion?

Edit: I think it works if you change "bases are considered open" to "connections are considered open" in your 2ND sentence. I'll look at it more tomorrow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Draw a line/Place a connection from your newly placed base to all your bases that are immediately adjacent, including diagonally.

...unless it would cross an opponent's line/connection.

(This is only possible for diagonal connections.)

E.g. if player 1 already has:

1 .
\
2 1

then player 1 has a diagonal connection between their pair of 1 bases. So if player 2 places :

1 2
\
2 1

then their possible diagonal connection between their pair of 2 bases would cross player 1's existing connection, so player 2 does not in fact create that diagonal connection.

(...Assuming I grok the OP correctly...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Any time 2 adjacent bases are owned by the same player, draw a line between them (unless it would cross an existing line).

(I'm assuming that placing a base is the only action that would cause two bases to end up adjacent to each other. If you have other actions that could cause 2 bases to become adjacent but which do not cause you to draw a connecting line between them, then it's a little more complicated.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eriek Douraan
Mexico
flag msg tools
russ wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

...unless it would cross an opponent's line/connection.

(This is only possible for diagonal connections.)

E.g. if player 1 already has:

1 .
\
2 1

then player 1 has a diagonal connection between their pair of 1 bases. So if player 2 places :

1 2
\
2 1

then their possible diagonal connection between their pair of 2 bases would cross player 1's existing connection, so player 2 does not in fact create that diagonal connection.

(...Assuming I grok the OP correctly...)

Yup, that's exactly right!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eriek Douraan
Mexico
flag msg tools
Okay so I'm thinking of wording it like this:

Quote:

Each turn:
* A player/team places an island base on ANY empty space on the board.
* Then connects it to all their adjacent bases in the eight adjacent squares, unless it would cross an opponent's connection. (The point of this is to keep track of connections across diagonals.)

Does that make sense and is it easy to understand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's good, but you should say "Then the player connects it" etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW I'm not sure that "(The point of this is to keep track of connections across diagonals.)" adds any value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.