Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to decide what to hope for (or work for) in terms of gunslinger weapons. I just have the normal pistol now (just 2nd level) and the Void pistol that does 2 shots with peril dice.

I feel like I need more shots (though I like the peril dice).

Should I be saving for the Gunfighter pistol and then do an upgrade (inlay or grip presumably) OR should I be trying for some other weapon, maybe a Targa gun of some kind? Wish I could upgrade the targa gun to add another shot.

Or is there another upgrade that can give me another shot?

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I make it a special point of NOT looking through the Gear and Artifact cards ahead of time, so that I'll enjoy being surprised during the game. From what I've seen, though, the Mine Artifact card The Judge is pretty much the best pistol you can shoot for (pun intended). There is also a Targa gun called the Plasma Arc, I believe, which is supposed to be pretty sweet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
Should I be saving for the Gunfighter pistol and then do an upgrade (inlay or grip presumably)

4 Shots, I.e. a 3 Shot Pistol with a Darkstone Grip is about as good as it gets.

The Trusty Pistol which could get you better has been errata'd to require Frontier.

That errata also effects the Gunslinger's Quickdraw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I'm aware of the pending errata, but since I'm still trying to survive and am not one of the majority of players who wants the game as hard as possible, I'm ignoring the errata and using the Trusty pistol as designed. It only is a 3 shot pistol with 2 upgrades for me anyway. If I manage to get it up to 5 shots (by getting some kind of upgrade to boost my agility, something I can't do with gunslinger level ups), I don't feel that is particularly overpowered.

Likewise, I have only 1 occasion where the Rancher's ability has gone over 3 extra shots in the 5 adventures I've played so far. Again I consider this acceptable and not overpowered.

So far, none of my four characters (gunslinger, lawman, saloon girl, rancher) is the overwhelming star. The gunslinger gets a couple of shots to start with and usually kills a monster or two (yeah!) and then holds his own in the firing. He occasionally gets more than the usual kills. The Rancher gets hot and kills 2-3 now and then and once killed about 5 (but she is firing twice due to skill and that's why she's gotten better, no gun upgrades yet). The Saloon girl can one shot kill a decent sized monster if she gets a little lucky and uses the holdout pistol. She's done it twice but she has to be hand to hand with the monster and that has it's own difficuties. And the Lawman is just a good basic character who can 50% chance suppress darkness events. So far, they're all holding their own. I'm using pooled experience and money so none of the characters care who actually kills the monsters as long as they die.

I very much appreciate the responses though, I want the feedback. Almost all the character classes are interesting. This game is good at presenting you with a number of monsters that can be pretty terrifying, though it's also amazing how often you can actually win anyway. So far I'm not finding it easy (far from it), but if I do I might change my mind about the errata.

I'm kind of a tinkerer when it comes to games because I'm always outside the target demographic. Today, most players want really hard cooperative games, the harder and more brutal the better. That's not me, so I usually end up mitigating the brutality/challenge a bit till I can enjoy playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
I'm ignoring the errata and using the Trusty pistol as designed.

The errata for the Trusty Pistol is how it was designed. Jason was clear on that.

It isn't supposed to be generally superior to the keyword unrestricted 3 shot pistols for the Gunslinger and the Saloon Girl. It's supposed to be a decent weapon with potential for Lawmen and Ranchers.

The Gunslinger is intended to head for the Gunfighter's Pistol if he doesn't pick up The Judge or the Deadman's Iron first.

Noticeably once the Saloon Girl gets Rough and Tumble without the keyword restriction the Trusty Pistol tends to get very nasty. I had one up to 8 shots a round with it (Agility 5, Darkstone Grip, Travellers Hat, Eagle Feather and a Ribbon.) and it isn't that difficult to go beyond that.

I suspect you haven't noticed the problem with Ranchers because you didn't have an Indian Scout to provide a Carbine and so don't yet have the Rancher up to 3 or 4 shots to start with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.