Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I know they are getting harder to find but which one is the best and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you just have to figure out which expansions you like and can buy at a reasonable price.
big box #5 is the easiest way to get enough meeples for 8 players
#4 get you the most expansions, most of which are small but gives you the most diversity
the rest are all fairly similar, just changing out 2 of the expansions. At that point I'd shop around and see which individual expansions are easy to pick up

...not sure if I helped as much as I intended, sorry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own BB5, which has Inns, Traders, Hills, the Wheel of Fortune, and the River mini expansion. For me, Inns and Traders are the the best of the expansions, which is good because all the BB come with those at least. I can take or leave Hills; some people like it, but I don't think the mechanics it adds are all that good/necessary. (We always forget the shepherds...) The Wheel is interesting and has the added bonus of being able to be played standalone. Plus, BB5 has two more meeple sets (pink and purple) to support up to 8 players. (I don't necessarily recommend playing with 8, but we like the color options!) I really like this set and it's probably the easiest to find.

That being said, Wikipedia has a list of all the BB sets and their contents here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcassonne_%28board_game%29#C.... I haven't played all the older expansions, so I'm not qualified to really help much there, but you can't go wrong with BB5 IMO.

The other thing to consider is that these are the old art style. You may already know this, but just understand they won't be nicely compatible with any new expansions Z-Man decides to roll out. (And finding older expansions can be a pricy endeavor.)

I hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
I think you just have to figure out which expansions you like and can buy at a reasonable price.
big box #5 is the easiest way to get enough meeples for 8 players
#4 get you the most expansions, most of which are small but gives you the most diversity
the rest are all fairly similar, just changing out 2 of the expansions. At that point I'd shop around and see which individual expansions are easy to pick up

...not sure if I helped as much as I intended, sorry

We mainly play with two and have never played the game but have always been interested.. I worried it might be too light but hoping the expansions help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would STRONGLY suggest you pick up Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers first and give it a go to see how you like it. Out of the box, H&G has a bit more complexity than even base Carcassonne and Inns & Cathedrals combined.

Also, if you are going to be playing with only two, you might consider Carcassonne: The Castle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only seen in person what I think was the first big box, but it was absolutely huge. Way bigger than I would want my copy of Carc to be, and much less portable than is ideal. My recommendation would be to get the base and pick and choose the expansions you want. I've got 4 expansions tucked in my base set box plus a few of the small ones (e.g., Rivers 1&2, the Phantom), and it fits perfectly and is very portable.

In particular, it looks like they've got both Inns & Cathedrals and Traders & Builders out for the new edition of Carc. Those are the two I would recommend somebody start with almost every time. If you'd rather have a big box, though, I'd say any big box with Inns & Cathedrals is a must. Truly great expansion to a game that I still love playing after 10 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Big Box 1. The good thing about it is that it includes the cardboard tower from The Tower, so you have room in the insert for additional expansions (inside the tower). The downside is that I never actually play with The Tower and The Princess and the Dragon, because of the chaos and more direct confrontation that these expansions introduce, so they just sit there. Also, the box is huge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
We mainly play with two and have never played the game but have always been interested.. I worried it might be too light but hoping the expansions help.

My SO and I have carcassonne as our staple game. I think if you feel its on the light side for you that just means you'll play faster games. The challenge will come from your opponent.
I would suggest staying away from Carcassonne: Expansion 8 – Bridges, Castles and Bazaars as it feels orentated twords larger number of players
I'd +1 Carcassonne: Expansion 3 – The Princess & The Dragon and Carcassonne: Expansion 5 – Abbey & Mayor for 2 players
I also feel the river isnt as needed as some players say, the gold mini expansion is like traders (both good but you can put off one if you get the other), the flying machine mini expansion feels random and a bit out of place
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
imyourskribe wrote:
I've only seen in person what I think was the first big box, but it was absolutely huge. Way bigger than I would want my copy of Carc to be, and much less portable than is ideal. My recommendation would be to get the base and pick and choose the expansions you want. I've got 4 expansions tucked in my base set box plus a few of the small ones (e.g., Rivers 1&2, the Phantom), and it fits perfectly and is very portable.

In particular, it looks like they've got both Inns & Cathedrals and Traders & Builders out for the new edition of Carc. Those are the two I would recommend somebody start with almost every time. If you'd rather have a big box, though, I'd say any big box with Inns & Cathedrals is a must. Truly great expansion to a game that I still love playing after 10 years.

Maybe zman will do a new big box but honestly we like the old art better.

mafman6 wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

My SO and I have carcassonne as our staple game. I think if you feel its on the light side for you that just means you'll play faster games. The challenge will come from your opponent.
I would suggest staying away from Carcassonne: Expansion 8 – Bridges, Castles and Bazaars as it feels orentated twords larger number of players
I'd +1 Carcassonne: Expansion 3 – The Princess & The Dragon and Carcassonne: Expansion 5 – Abbey & Mayor for 2 players
I also feel the river isnt as needed as some players say, the gold mini expansion is like traders (both good but you can put off one if you get the other), the flying machine mini expansion feels random and a bit out of place

Is there one big box that looks better than the others to you? What are the most "challenging" expansions/promos?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Is there one big box that looks better than the others to you? What are the most "challenging" expansions/promos?

that a tough call but my gut says #2
#5 if you like the wheel idea (I don't due to it being a big element and its a random element, but I havent given it a shot so don't give my opinion on the matter too much weight)
#4 if you like the little expansions, I think they add the most different ideas...maybe go with this one if you play to play carcassonne with just one added rule per game keeping the games short sweet and changing each time
#3 has the expan I dont think it all that good. It adds three new concepts; bridges which we never got much use out of and the rule is kinda odd so didnt seem worth the effort, castles are good but you can get the same effect with the mini expan goldmines, and bazaars are also good but not with 2 players.
#1 you'd lose abbey and mayor which I think you'd like but you get tower which is another one I havent played

do you know yet how much each option would cost you? I went with buying individually because I had better luck finding pieces for cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

that a tough call but my gut says #2
#5 if you like the wheel idea (I don't due to it being a big element and its a random element, but I havent given it a shot so don't give my opinion on the matter too much weight)
#4 if you like the little expansions, I think they add the most different ideas...maybe go with this one if you play to play carcassonne with just one added rule per game keeping the games short sweet and changing each time
#3 has the expan I dont think it all that good. It adds three new concepts; bridges which we never got much use out of and the rule is kinda odd so didnt seem worth the effort, castles are good but you can get the same effect with the mini expan goldmines, and bazaars are also good but not with 2 players.
#1 you'd lose abbey and mayor which I think you'd like but you get tower which is another one I havent played

do you know yet how much each option would cost you? I went with buying individually because I had better luck finding pieces for cheaper.

Ok, its between 1, 2, and 4 then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote would be for 2 with 4 coming in second. However, I would consider price. All big boxes have the first two expansions which most people say are the best ones. If prices are high for the out of print old big boxes, I would just get the one you can get most reasonably. Especially since, Except for a few rare promos, I found it pretty easy to get used copies of most carcassone items .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also in case you did not know, English language rights changed to a new publisher and they are doing new art. So many expansions are between printings. So expansion prices are higher than normal now. I would expect prices for the big expansions to drop. Small promo expansions tend to either not be reprinted ( so expensive) or to be grouped into the big expansions (so cheap)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hippiephysicschick wrote:
Also in case you did not know, English language rights changed to a new publisher and they are doing new art. So many expansions are between printings. So expansion prices are higher than normal now. I would expect prices for the big expansions to drop. Small promo expansions tend to either not be reprinted ( so expensive) or to be grouped into the big expansions (so cheap)

I have a chance to get either BB1 or 4, which would you choose and why? Are the rio grande and z-man editions compatible in case I get some mini expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a hardly played copy of Big Box 2 and the Phantom expansion sitting on a shelf that I haven't used in years.

No idea what they are worth, but you can buy them for a fair offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's better princes and dragons with the river and tower or all the little mini expansions that come with #4? Also the insert for#1 looks bigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.