Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, all! So I got on board the Kickstarter train for Massive Darkness this evening. Love a good dungeoncrawl and this looks like it will fit the bill.

I played Zombicide a couple of times with friends. Wasn't bowled over by it, but found it...okay. I seem to recall some wonky rule about firearms and targeting your own guys. Not good.

Any thoughts as to whether I might have backed the wrong horse here? Black Plague looks interesting, but I haven't pursued it. The fantasy theme definitely piqued my interest in MD. Starting to have a bit of backer's remorse, I guess. I know that's likely to change when I see that big box of toys. Just not sure it's a great fit for me.

I know I'm not giving you lots to go on, but input would be appreciated. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Yee
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may join you. I have never played any CMON games, by happenstance I stumbled upon it with only 19 hours to go on the KS... just when I thought I would stop buying > $100 games, this pulls me back in cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
You aren't committed to backing until the campaign ends. You can also reduce your pledge to $1 and decide later when the pledge manager goes live.

The targeting rules in modern-era Zombicide do not exist in Zombicide: Black Plaghe or Massive Darkness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome Aboard folks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Swan
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Modern day Z targeting is the most house ruled rule in gaming history cool
If you still had fun, that's what CMON games are all about.
One word of warning though: there is such a thing as your first CMON game but no such thing as your last. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Shadows of Kilforth - March 2019 Kickstarter
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
You aren't committed to backing until the campaign ends. You can also reduce your pledge to $1 and decide later when the pledge manager goes live.

The targeting rules in modern-era Zombicide do not exist in Zombicide: Black Plaghe or Massive Darkness.

Is this the Friendly Fire rule? I've not played the original Zombicide but in Z:BP you have to target heroes in the same zone you're shooting at with any misses you roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan DeLano
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Dormammu wrote:

Is this the Friendly Fire rule? I've not played the original Zombicide but in Z:BP you have to target heroes in the same zone you're shooting at with any misses you roll.

Yeah, in modern Zombicide, all damage from ranged attacks fired into a zone with a survivor and other enemies hit the survivor first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Praxus wrote:
Yeah, in modern Zombicide, all damage from ranged attacks fired into a zone with a survivor and other enemies hit the survivor first.

Jesus. And they kept that until the third iteration of the game? That doesn't exactly inspire confidence in their abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan DeLano
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zethnar wrote:
Praxus wrote:

Jesus. And they kept that until the third iteration of the game? That doesn't exactly inspire confidence in their abilities.

Well, even if that's not an appealing rule to you (it isn't to me either, honestly), it was a design decision that forced some interesting player decisions. There were instances where you would need to sacrifice a survivor by forcing all the zombies to converge on them before the other players opened fire, or just killed the whole zone with a molotov. In other situations, it forced players to think of ways to escape a horde of zombies so that the other survivors could open fire.

So, even if it doesn't sound like a fun rule, it did contribute to the puzzle-solving of many missions, at least for my group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Praxus wrote:
ninjadorg wrote:
Dormammu wrote:

Crikey. wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tunguska Incident
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
yosemite wrote:
Hi, all! So I got on board the Kickstarter train for Massive Darkness this evening. Love a good dungeoncrawl and this looks like it will fit the bill.

I played Zombicide a couple of times with friends. Wasn't bowled over by it, but found it...okay. I seem to recall some wonky rule about firearms and targeting your own guys. Not good.

Any thoughts as to whether I might have backed the wrong horse here? Black Plague looks interesting, but I haven't pursued it. The fantasy theme definitely piqued my interest in MD. Starting to have a bit of backer's remorse, I guess. I know that's likely to change when I see that big box of toys. Just not sure it's a great fit for me.

I know I'm not giving you lots to go on, but input would be appreciated. Thanks!

The minis are pretty much comparable in quality to Games Workshop (I actually think I prefer the art-style here) and you get an absolute TON of them. If you enjoy painting then you have your money's worth right there. Like you, I am concerned that the actual game-play might be a big 'meh' but the basis of the system seems promising enough that with a few house rules you can almost certainly have a lot of fun with this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etienne BEUREUX
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Plague was my first CMON game (no Kickstarter, just the ol' fashioned purchase ), and I really liked it so when Massive Darkness was teased and the KS started it was a no-brainer for me.

I'm currently a lot into Coop games, and not having someone having to play the Overlord/Dungeon Master is a big positive for me.

And as other people said, if you are into the minis you really can't go wrong with this. CMON miniatures are extremely high quality (design is up to personal tastes, of course), and a pleasure to paint if you like.

A real strength of Zombicide, Black Plague... is that it's really easy to houserule stuff you don't like if you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bailey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the club! now you'll get addicted!

Massive Darkness is a good buy. I think you'll like Black Plague also, so I'd STRONGLY urge you to pledge for the Black Plague cross-over kit since it is Kickstarter Exclusive. It's only 8 bucks and chances are at SOME POINT you may get Black Plague, then you'll have a TON of extra content for TWO games.

Black Plague is one of my favorite games right now. SOOO many improvements over the regular Zombicide it's just mind blowing! LOVE IT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: I decided to bail: well, at least for now. Still have 4+ hours to change my mind.

Honestly, it was cathartic just committing my thoughts by typing them in this post. Part of the dynamic here is that this will be a LOT of stuff and, with a cross-country move in our future, it seems silly to have to move and store one more thing.

It also seems doubtful that this would see significant table time. I know you can play solo, but don't realistically think I'd do that. I played lots of first edition Descent and burned myself out on it. These days, I'm more apt to run a dungeoncrawl in a favored RPG session.

Thanks for your help. Feel free to talk me into changing my mind...again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The mini's are all 28mm generic fantasy, so you can use 'em in other RPGs.

Assuming $6 for a large mini (that's how much Reaper charges for a large plastic Bones mini in their KS), the large mini's alone pay for the $120 pledge. This will also be the last time you can pick up the Z:BP crossover cards for $8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yosemite wrote:
Update: I decided to bail: well, at least for now. Still have 4+ hours to change my mind.

Honestly, it was cathartic just committing my thoughts by typing them in this post. Part of the dynamic here is that this will be a LOT of stuff and, with a cross-country move in our future, it seems silly to have to move and store one more thing.

It also seems doubtful that this would see significant table time. I know you can play solo, but don't realistically think I'd do that. I played lots of first edition Descent and burned myself out on it. These days, I'm more apt to run a dungeoncrawl in a favored RPG session.

Thanks for your help. Feel free to talk me into changing my mind...again!

Don't know the timing on your move, but why not just pledge $1, then make the decision later. Preferably after your move is complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domitilla D'Amico
Italy
Ferentino (FR)
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE YOUR PLEDGES!
45 minutes left for... the final stretch reward: an UNICORN!

Edit: not unlocked, but free for everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.