Subject: GS: Allied reserve command Method A rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dane Patterson
United States
South Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Should the Method A imperative to deploy a reserve unit within 3 hexes of another unit in its own division (or parent corps or army) be considered a mandatory requirement?

12.4.XII Corps unit in 2403 and CCA.9A.VIII both exist at setup (German Side) in a position where it is unlikely that Germans will be proximate. Ever.

The other units of 9th Armored (VIII Corps) are available at game start, so this always comes up. And all of XII Corps has such a small deployment area that I need to understand if I'm doing this right.

I often eliminate the two infantry units of VIII corps located at 1406 & 1708. I always leave the unit in 2007 alone. This results in a situation where Method A is unclear.

With CCA.9A.VIII on-map, and no positions proximate to German units, I don't know what to do.

So if there is no position proximate to a unit in your division, does it result in DO NOT PLACE or does it result in moving along the process to the next parent unit (corps, then army)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mendel Lius
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Mandatory conditions for method A are vary clear and are :
Place the unit in Position hex that meets all:
- Empty (includes Roadblock)
- Not a German Town/City
- In the unit’s Corps Area
- In Supply (were it Allied-occupied)
- Not in Danger of Surround (if unit placed)
- A German unit is Proximate to the position
- Not in Allied ZOC, unless HV of position 5-6 OR the adjacent unit is OOC and would be in US Communication by deploying this unit.

If there is more than one possibility, use the following as tie-breaker :
Within 1-3 hexes of a unit in:
1- the same Division
2- the same Corps
3- the same Army
4- others
Tie Break
1- highest HV
2- westernmost
3- closest to a German unit.

So yes, you move on to the higher level of command : it is a tie-breaker, not a mandatory requirement. Usually, GE proximity (restricted by GE army boundaries) and US corps boundaries are the main factors preventing deployment of units, especially in the XII corps.

However, roadblock reserves placement does not have the corps boundaries constraint (closest unit), and reserve deployment method B has "relaxed" proximity constraint and leads to stacking of units in areas where allied lines are not broken.

Note : there has been some discussion on this forum for an alternate rules variant where german proximity determination would be done without considering GE army boundaries. It would allow deployment of US XII corps south of Clervaux or Bastogne early in the game, in a relatively realistic way (XII and V corp do nt stay idle while all hell breaks loose in the center). I do not know if anybody tried it, maybe it makes the game too hard?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Patterson
United States
South Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Are you saying the game isn't difficult enough for you?
I find it, well the combat system specifically, capricious to the point of being punitive. But that's a story for another place, and I won't digress.

I did not know that you were supposed to consider German army boundaries when considering proximity to US positions. I have not been doing this (why would XII corps know 5 Pnzr can't cross south of Row XX?) and it doesn't make too much of a difference. By way of unit numbers, card presence in deck, and corps deployment area, VIII corps does the job quite nicely of holding a line without gaps. Now if I could only get them to attack sooner...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.