Subject: Buying other player's stock rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Gernstetter

Dublin
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried the variant of buying other players stocks in the full Waterframe game yet? Are there any other rules or guidelines other than just being able to do so (ie. still have to own a number of shares of your own stock)?

I have only played this game a few times, but with shipping, this variant seems like it could be broken. Unless I am missing something, which is very possible, one could build factories, keep all appeal at 1, ship each turn for big profit. Although your stock price is reduced each shipment, this wouldn't matter because with the profits of these shipments you could buy the shares of your opponents stocks, which in theory could be going up 4 spaces per turn as opposed to buying your stock which is going down with each shipment. I know there are a lot of costs to ship, keep a warehouse staffed, etc, but it doesn't make up for the gain, plus the fact that you can buy other peoples stock. Without the buying other peoples stock variant, shipping seems pretty balanced, but by being able to buy other stocks it seems that it would be very difficult for people playing with traditional selling, or a hybrid of shipping and selling to keep pace.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kidder
United States
Martensdale
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are unaware that you have to sell all shares of their stock by the end of the game. You don't win for having the most money but for having the most valuable stock portfolio of your own company. So if you tank your stock you may be able to raise the money this way to buy all 30 of your shares at the end of the game, but you are gonna lose if your own stock is tanked out in value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gernstetter

Dublin
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. It was my understanding that it was just the most valuable stock portfolio, not most valuable portfolio of your own stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.