Subject: Is it, or can it be played on odd-sized boards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jared Hayter

Metuchen
New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean 5x5 or 9x9 boards. It seems to me that the game would play the same way if it used an odd board with the center square open. That way it woudn't be necessary to remove pieces to begin play and each player would begin with an equal number of stones. What I don't know is how that change would affect first-player advantage, if present. Any comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander E. Stevens
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaredhayter wrote:
I mean 5x5 or 9x9 boards. It seems to me that the game would play the same way if it used an odd board with the center square open. That way it woudn't be necessary to remove pieces to begin play and each player would begin with an equal number of stones. What I don't know is how that change would affect first-player advantage, if present. Any comments?

I think the change would not be superficially evident, but the gameplay would be altered enough by this in that there is definitely an element of strategy present in what stones are chosen to be removed. To that end, because stones can only jump straight lines, having a fixed open space would limit the number of opening moves compared to that of two open spaces on potentially unaligned spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so when it says remove a stone from centre of board, does that mean any squate not on the outside rows and columns ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
When *is* BGG Con 20XX registration, anyway?
badge
This space intentionally left blank. :)
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wikipedia article says:
Quote:
There are 4 pieces (2 black and 2 white) that form a 2 x 2 square array in the "middle of the board".

And:
Quote:
Konane is played on an n x n square board where n must be an even number.

It goes on to explain that the board must be even to ensure that the start player has the option of two opposite corner spaces when removing their first stone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
in apparent contradiction to the suggestions here and the rules on Wikipedia, Captain Cook has it being played on a 14 X 17 board.
http://web.mit.edu/ieee/6.370/2001/web/konane-anthrop.html
Also "The twenty Konane slabs and boards reported by Emory [1924] and Buck [1957] average 134 holes each, with a geometric mean of 125 holes. The number of rows ranged from 8 to 13, and the number of columns from 8 to 20; five of the boards were square and the remainder rectangular. The board (papa konane) is set end on between the players, with the longer dimension between them.

The center of the board was called piko (navel) and frequently marked with an inset human molar; sometimes every position had an inset tooth (or a chicken or human bone [Brigham 1892, 60]).
"
Impressive. Dedicated gamers.

edit: the link also has rules - presumably they will allow for play on oblong boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.