Subject: Beginning A Collection rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ulf Beorstruk
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

I am looking to get into this game, and where to begin with expansions. I want to have enough ships for meaningful strategic choices on both sides.

After the core set, which expansions would you consider 'must have', and which are 'nice but not necessary'?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Durand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Ulf
It depends on your money first. How much would you spend?
You start with the game, so I suggest 1 ISD + 1 GSD + 1 imperial fighter pack, and 1 MKII + 1 MC30 + 1 rebels fighter pack.
If your budget is high, you could add 1 MC80 and 1 VSD. That's only a suggestion.

But first you should buy each ship, test them, and you'll be able to decide what kind of fleet you want on your table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of the films. So my suggestions are based on 1: what lets me act out the battles I imagined as a kid watching the films and 2: what will probably get the most use. I'd say this order is ideal as well:

1 core set
1 dice pack
1 MC80 & 1 ISD
1 of each squad pack
1 extra maneuver template
1 Gladiator & 1 Assault Frigate

Then, of the soon-to-be released expansions, 1 of each, because I think they look really, really good.

From there, I'd suggest saving bottle returns, gift cards, store credits etc. and picking up a Raider and MC30 first, duplicates of the core set second, and duplicates of your favorite ships after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morris
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Ulf,

I have a bunch of stuff from Wave 1 that I'm looking to sell or trade. We're both Canadians so shipping would be reasonable. Let me know and I can send you a list if you like.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely do not have a 'most have' answer. But I wanted to collect enough ships to be able to player semi-regularly without getting the stale feeling and give enough variety to have different strategies.

So I opted for one core and one of each expansion. Then one additional expansion if it was the fighters.
So
1 x Core
1 X each ship expansion (includes the rouge freighter expansion)
2 x Imperial and Rebel Fighters.

That give me a lot 2 Victories, 2 CR-90s extra dice and extra maneuver rule thing. I'm not following the never ending purchase route so I wanted to get enough to play and be happy.

Worst case I'm getting 2 x Gozanti and GR-75 plus 1 each of the new ships coming out. There have been a lot of builds with two of the Assault Frigate Mk II or two of the Gladiator. This goes against what I just said above but if you wanted doubles for any reason those are good choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.