Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darin Sunley
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Battle for Hill 218, the Supply diagram shows the directions the unit can draw supply from. The Special Forces card can deploy to the diagonal from your existing units.

In contrast, in Ogre: Objective 218, boxes on the supply diagram "indicate spaces where later cards can be played." Thus, the GEV, which has a very similar looking supply diagram to the Special Forces card, cannot itself deploy to the diagonal of your existing forces (except another GEV), but allows any other unit to deploy to it's diagonal.

I am curious to know to what degree this variation was intentional. I assume, of course, that it is - it's just such a subtle but potentially far-reaching change. Possibly deeper, I think, than the addition of the Ogre itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
It may have been a design change for the Steve Jackson team

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Sunley
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It certainly facilitates flanking maneuvers.

Which is quite probably the intent.

After all, the futuristic tank warfare being ["simulated" is not quite the right word] evoked by O218 is significantly more mobile than the WWII-esque combat implied by the original game's theming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As said before it makes flanking moves a bit easier.
However, It would seem more thematic if it was the GEV making the flanking move instead of supporting an infantry making the flanking move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.