Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Yay Area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that you can prevent from going to LVL 2 Encounters in order to do some more LVL 1 encounters to get more items/experience/etc.

But once you have started doing LVL 2 encounters are you allowed to take LVL 1 encounters?

This came up in our game and for the moment we ruled it as alright because it seems that they are just slowing their own progress by not advancing on the track to the fortress. But then it seemed a bit unbalanced when someone was in LVL 3 encounters and they hit a Dead Zone Mountain region so they took a LVL 1 encounter and were able to get supplies without having to put up to much of a fight.

So to repeat the question. Are you allowed to take lower level encounters once you've begun taking higher level encounters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenny Raaymakers
New Zealand
Wanganui
flag msg tools
Necroblaster3000 wrote:
It seems that you can prevent from going to LVL 2 Encounters in order to do some more LVL 1 encounters to get more items/experience/etc.

But once you have started doing LVL 2 encounters are you allowed to take LVL 1 encounters?

This came up in our game and for the moment we ruled it as alright because it seems that they are just slowing their own progress by not advancing on the track to the fortress. But then it seemed a bit unbalanced when someone was in LVL 3 encounters and they hit a Dead Zone Mountain region so they took a LVL 1 encounter and were able to get supplies without having to put up to much of a fight.

So to repeat the question. Are you allowed to take lower level encounters once you've begun taking higher level encounters.

Page 6 of the rule book:

"Once you enter a new section, you may not draw from the previous one". This is referring to encounter levels.

Good question, but I think it is pretty clear in that sentence (although "section" could be "level").

Hope that helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Yay Area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response. I felt like that was the case because it felt wrong, but we were already at 2 hours into the game and I didn't want to grind the game to a halt while I looked up a rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is my understanding that every time you defeat an encounter after entering a zone that has not yet been completed you gain a journey point which moves you on the track. How would you stall on the that track anyway to continue to take the same level encounters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Yay Area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You only gain a journey point if the encounter you defeat is the same level as the next spot on the journey track.

So basically at the very edge when it changes from LVL 1 to LVL 2 encounters if you don't take a LVL 2 encounter then you do not gain a journey point.

People usually do this because LVL 1 encounters are easier and they can gain resources and prepare for the upcoming LVL 2 & LVL 3 encounters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing that out. I had glazed over the line where it said that you didn't need to automatically take a next level encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading through this thread I feel I completely misunderstand how “journey points” or movement on the progress track works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.