Dave Chandler
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two rules questons:

1. Mortar is an imperial experience card that reads

http://imperial-assault.wikia.com/wiki/Armored_Onslaught

"Exhaust this card during an Imperial figure's activation. That figure gains: "Action: Choose a space within 3 spaces and roll 1 red die. Each figure and object on or adjacent to that space suffers (damage) equal to the (damage) results."

Does this mean that my figure can do that twice? How about around corners or through walls? As written it seems the answer to these questions is 'yes' but that seems VERY over powered. Being able to do an average of 4 unblockable damage in a blast radius from ANY imperial figure seems obscenely powerful. I felt very bad for my rebel players with this one.

2. Wing Guard is an imperial figure that says

http://imperial-assault.wikia.com/wiki/Wing_Guard

"Keep the Peace: When a hostile figure declares an attack targeting a space adjacent to you, if that space does not contain a friendly GUARDIAN, you may suffer 1 Strain. If you do, the attacker suffers 1 Strain. Limit 1 "Keep the Peace" ability used per attack.

The rulebook specifically says that figures that do not have strain to spend cannot voluntarily take strain. I have always taken this to mean that allies and imperial figures cannot choose to take strain and that when forced to take strain they take damage instead. But this one makes me wonder... does this mean that wing guard CAN voluntarily take strain but if they do it turns into damage? Why not just say "this figure suffers one damage"? How does Wing Guard take strain?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) No because it's a special action. Each special action can only be performed once per activation. If you get the same special action granted by a different ability, you can perform the action once per time it is listed separately.

You cannot count spaces through walls, but you can count around them. Refer to the rules for counting spaces.

2) The way I understand it, non-heroes can choose to suffer strain and take the resulting damage, they just can't recover strain and benefit from the resulting damage recovery. I could be wrong...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the rule you missed that Craig refers to:

RR - Actions wrote:
• A figure can perform the same action multiple times during
the same activation except as follows:
-- A non-hero figure can use only one of its actions to perform
an attack per activation.
-- A figure can perform each special action only once per
activation.

As for question 2, strain is handled differently in Skirmish games, so that is why it is written that way. During a Campaign, it is equivalent to suffering 1 Damage to activate the ability.

And yes, as they do not have Endurance, you have surmised correctly that non-Heroes can voluntarily suffer strain. Only Heroes cannot voluntarily do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Non-heroes do not have an endurance of 0, they do not have an endurance value at all, so they can choose to suffer strain (which can be prevented by discarding command cards from the deck in skirmish and is converted to damage in the campaign).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krystian Majewski
Germany
flag msg tools
Game Designer, host of TeamworkCast
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Follow up question - can an imperial figure REALLY attack and use the Mortar in the same activation. This happened on our last session and seems just crazy overpowered. Our Rebel group doesn't seem to have any way to deal with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mortar is not an attack. So a non-hero figure can spend one action for Mortar and another to attack.

Note that Mortar can only be used once per round because it exhausts.

Stunning the figure gets rid of the attack, but not Mortar. Not being close to each other helps with Mortar, but makes heroes susceptible to other attacks. Defeating the figures in the group before they activate is always good. gets rid of Mortar until the next round.

So the best would be to leave one figure of the group and keep stunning it and just move away far enough so Mortar is not useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if your group manages to recruit Leia, she can disable Imperial class cards. My Rebels got Leia in one of the first missions and my Mortars were basically on permanent lockdown after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krystman wrote:
Follow up question - can an imperial figure REALLY attack and use the Mortar in the same activation. This happened on our last session and seems just crazy overpowered. Our Rebel group doesn't seem to have any way to deal with this.

Don't leave your heroes where they are within 4 squares and LOS of imperials that have mortars. Most imperial figures can't move, attack, AND mortar in the same activation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noa

Oregon
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Defeating the figures in the group before they activate gets rid of Mortar until the next round.

Mortar isn't an attachment, so this doesn't actually work.

But yeah, just try not to end your activation within 4 spaces and LOS of an Imperial, and spread out as best you can. Also keep in mind that your Imperial player spent 3 XP on that card, so they paid pretty well for the ability to maybe sometimes get 2 attacks with a figure once each turn. It's really not that bad as long as you are playing around it and remembering that it's only once per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.