Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After looking through the photos available so far for A Feast for Odin, I'm strongly reminded of Agricola, Caverna and Patchwork in the components. Anyone else get that feel?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
Illerkirchberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cschrad1 wrote:
After looking through the photos available so far for A Feast for Odin, I'm strongly reminded of Agricola, Caverna and Patchwork in the components. Anyone else get that feel?

I´m getting this feeling on almost all other games that were published after Agricola....but this is nothing bad, isn`t it?!
I do not want to miss Caverna in my collection...as with all the other games of Uwe.
So I´m really looking for this one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campeau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu brown belt under Bruno Fernandes.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cschrad1 wrote:

From what I understand, he developed the tile-placement mechanism for this game and designed Patchwork afterwards when he realized that was a good game mechanism in itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philcampeau wrote:
cschrad1 wrote:

From what I understand, he developed the tile-placement mechanism for this game and designed Patchwork afterwards when he realized that was a good game mechanism in itself.

Seeing how the sausage is made kind of takes away a bit of the magic for me... Still, patchwork is a very good game, and will look forward to test Odin. Not holding my breath though..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:
philcampeau wrote:
cschrad1 wrote:

Seeing how the sausage is made kind of takes away a bit of the magic for me... Still, patchwork is a very good game, and will look forward to test Odin. Not holding my breath though..

I think it would be strange to expect designers to come up with entirely new mechanics for each new design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shader10 wrote:
coralsaw wrote:
philcampeau wrote:
cschrad1 wrote:

I think it would be strange to expect designers to come up with entirely new mechanics for each new design.

Quite the opposite, I actually do expect (great) designers to come up with entirely new mechanisms for each new design. That's part of what makes them (great).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campeau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu brown belt under Bruno Fernandes.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:

Quite the opposite, I actually do expect (great) designers to come up with entirely new mechanisms for each new design. That's part of what makes them (great).

? Name one entirely new game mechanism that Uwe Rosenberg ever came up with. There's only about 50 or so game mechanisms recognized by BGG. I'm not sure what you meant by this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philcampeau wrote:
coralsaw wrote:

? Name one entirely new game mechanism that Uwe Rosenberg ever came up with. There's only about 50 or so game mechanisms recognized by BGG. I'm not sure what you meant by this.

Have you ever played Bohnanza (the hand rearranging), Mamma Mia (all of it), Merkator (the time tokens), Bali (the 3 decks), Glass Road (the wheel), Loyang (the road), Pathwork (the buttons)...?

Also, the fact that eg. worker placement is just one of the 50 mechanisms you mention, does not mean there is only one way to do worker placement, I estimate over 30 twists on this one alone, that I have played..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:
philcampeau wrote:
coralsaw wrote:

Have you ever played Bohnanza (the hand rearranging), Mamma Mia (all of it), Merkator (the time tokens), Bali (the 3 decks), Glass Road (the wheel), Loyang (the road), Pathwork (the buttons)...?

Also, the fact that eg. worker placement is just one of the 50 mechanisms you mention, does not mean there is only one way to do worker placement, I estimate over 30 twists on this one alone, that I have played..

Well, all of those games all have mechanism previously used in other games. So is Feast has one thing not previously used in a Uwe game, we're golden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:
Great designers create great games. New mechanisms or not. If fact new mechanisms don't necessarily accompany great games and when they do they are more of a nice bonus. You're asking too much of these guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
Great painters never painted scenes or people similar to those they have done before, I'm sure. robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
* J *
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I don't care if the mechanisms are novel, so long as the game is amazing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well, that went south quickly. I didn't mean to instigate anything - just a comment/question on the similarities between Feast for Odin and Uwe seemingly pulling in several mechanisms from his other games.

IMO - We see this pretty frequently amongst designers.
Leacock with Pandemic and forbidden island/desert
Lang with Quarriors and Dice Masters
Lang with Chaos in the Old World and Blood Rage

I guess my real point is - I really hope Feast for Odin is different enough to make me want to add it to my collection when I already have Caverna and Patchwork....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feld Fan
United States
flag msg tools
cschrad1 wrote:
...I guess my real point is - I really hope Feast for Odin is different enough to make me want to add it to my collection when I already have Caverna and Patchwork....

Ahhh, but you don't have Cavework or Patchverna, which is what A Feast for Odin looks to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to play devil's advocate, here are some mechanisms that Uwe has revisited frequently:

Worker Placement (obviously): Agricola, Agricola All Creatres, Caverna, Fields of Arle
Resource conversion: Agricola, Agricola All Creatures, La Havre, Le Havre: Inland Port, Caverna, Glass Road
Resource "wheel": Ora et Labora, La Havre: Inland Port, Glass Road
Tile-laying: Agricola, Agricola All Creatures, Caverna, Glass Road, Patchwork
Games about farming or otherwise messing with the ground: Agricola, Agricola All Creatures, Ora et Labora, Caverna, Fields or Arle

A lot of his games use similar components because many of them share similar themes, mechanisms, concepts, etc. Yet people keep a number of his games in their collections. Personally, I respect his designs. And I respect his progression; he seems to be working through some very personal subjects in each of his games. For instance, I can appreciate the fact that Fields of Arle is basically an "autobiographical" game, since that's the town he grew up in. In other creative endeavors these sorts of common threads would be called "style". I guess he's guilty of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Baer
China
Suzhou
flag msg tools
badge
Nothing to see here, move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
feldfan2014 wrote:
Ahhh, but you don't have Cavework or Patchverna

Are they different enough from each other? Oh well, who cares!? I'll just get them both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pacman88k wrote:
Games about farming or otherwise messing with the ground: Agricola, Agricola All Creatures, Ora et Labora, Caverna, Fields or Arle

Don't forget Glass Road here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
pacman88k wrote:

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
pacman88k wrote:

Or Bohnanza!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.