Tanks: Panther vs Sherman» Forums » Rules

Subject: a gamey thing to do rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Boardgamegeneral BGG
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hi all,

Yesterday I was playing with the Americans (versus Germans).

The American National ability favors you when you are moving by disregarding 1 move when determining your targets defense dice (ie: 1 less die is added).

At some point, this made me force 2 moves (drive to the front and back again) to make sure I received the 2D defense dice for my movement (when targeted) while only giving 1D to my targets.

The rules don't say you can't...but it felt very technical and "gamey" to us.

I wonder if this can be easily fixed.

Regards,

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This does seem "gamey" as well since you technically didn't move from your original starting area. By the rules it is legal though.

I am waiting for my copy to arrive but just in reading I thought the movement rules a little loose. I would have preferred (and will likely house-rule) something like:

1) A tank is not required to move the full length of the measuring stick (clarification of existing rule).
2) Moves must be forwards in the 180 degree arc.
3) A tank may move in reverse once but it takes 2 "moves"
4) A tank may not travel back in the direction it just came from or the move is ruled "stationary".
5) Rotating in place uses a move but is 360 degrees. You do not get row defensive die modification for movement

At the end of a move the tank may face any direction except a 180 turn (no reversing facing).

This removes some of the gaminess and a little more tactical. I'm just basing this on what I've been able to see online while I await the arrival of my copy. Those who've played can shoot holes in this.

Remember though: If you play in tournaments you'll need to play by the official rules and rulings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not too far off from the rules I came up with for a more realistic movement. For mine, the rules are:

Each turn you have 2 Movement Actions (MAs) available per turn (3 if the tank is Fast). For each MA, you may choose to:
1) Move: Place the Movement Template against any point on the tank's front Hull and facing any direction that does not directly overlap the tank, then move the tank so that the front rests against the flat part of the Arrow, and one of the side hulls are pressed against the length of the template. Increase the tank's Movement Token by 1 (0 to 1, 1 to 2, etc).
2) Turn: Place the movement template against any point against the tank's hull, facing any direction. Then, place the tank so that the rear hull is in line with the back of the movement template and one of the side hulls is lined up with the movement template. This does not increase the tank's Movement Token.
3) Do nothing.

There is still a little bit that needs to be worked out (should Turning prevent the 0 movement reroll? Does this make it too hard to set up shots, particularly with Assault Guns?), and has not been playtested at all yet, but I think it's a simple solution to giving a more realistic movement profile to the tanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick v. Nooij
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That forward/reverse trick definitely doesn't feel right to me, either.
"Gungho" is supposed to promote aggressive advancing/maneuvring on the US player's part (on the other hand, I also feel it represents the use of the gyro-stabilized gun on the Shermans).

I'd probably house-rule it with something simple that "Gungho" only kicks in when the tank has at least moved a certain distance from it's starting position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgamegeneral BGG
Belgium
flag msg tools
Changing the Gungho rule does not prevent this tactic to be used by anybody who want the +2/-2D modifier by moving 2x (or even 3x) to end up in the same spot.

I like some of the movement rules presented here though and we'll give them a try as houserules.

I'm always a little mindful though...will this not upset the balance of hte game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgamegeneral BGG
Belgium
flag msg tools
robkoch2112 wrote:
This does seem "gamey" as well since you technically didn't move from your original starting area. By the rules it is legal though.

I am waiting for my copy to arrive but just in reading I thought the movement rules a little loose. I would have preferred (and will likely house-rule) something like:

1) A tank is not required to move the full length of the measuring stick (clarification of existing rule).
4) A tank may not travel back in the direction it just came from or the move is ruled "stationary".
5) Rotating in place uses a move but is 360 degrees.

At the end of a move the tank may face any direction except a 180 turn (no reversing facing).

This removes some of the gaminess and a little more tactical. I'm just basing this on what I've been able to see online while I await the arrival of my copy. Those who've played can shoot holes in this.

Remember though: If you play in tournaments you'll need to play by the official rules and rulings.

For rule number 5...I would say that you use a move but don't get a defense D modifier for this. Turning on the spot doesn't make you more difficult to hit. You would give the 1D modifier for moving to your target though, as you are firing while moving.

Does that sound right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick v. Nooij
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgamegeneral wrote:
Changing the Gungho rule does not prevent this tactic to be used by anybody who want the +2/-2D modifier by moving 2x (or even 3x) to end up in the same spot.

Err, yeah, sorry. I meant to suggest that it would apply to movement in general. Only apply the bonus/penalty modifiers if the vehicle actually moved far enough from it's starting position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgamegeneral wrote:
robkoch2112 wrote:

5) Rotating in place uses a move but is 360 degrees.

For rule number 5...I would say that you use a move but don't get a defense D modifier for this. Turning on the spot doesn't make you more difficult to hit. You would give the 1D modifier for moving to your target though, as you are firing while moving.

Does that sound right?

Yes! I meant to add that... I just edited the information. Rotating does not confer the defense modification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.