Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Scythe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Edge case movement and factory card questions, plus misc. questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
First off, thanks to Jakub, Jamey, and Morten! I received the game which was in good shape besides some minor box denting on the bottom (east coast U.S.). My first two games were both 2-player. It took longer than expected even though I was trying to do the quick teach / dive-in method, and we messed up a few rules while learning. For example, you have to remember that encounter card bonuses go on the encounter location, NOT to a worker tile like most new resources. This can be especially important if you get a building from an encounter card.

I won both games so hopefully that doesn't discourage my opponent too much. The second game was much closer than the first, and I only won because of a lucky factory takeover gamble. Overall I'm happy and look forward to trying more strategies, solitaire or not!

A few silly questions:

1. The encounter card rules say you handle the encounter results BEFORE doing any bottom row actions, but AFTER your move action completes (including any combat). I don't know if it matters, maybe in a rare edge case, but should the factory be the same way (finish combat, pick factory card if victorious, THEN play bottom action)?

2. The factory card Move rules say "Move one unit up to two times within the same Move action". However, they also say "All other rules for movement still apply". Does this mean you can transport say, 8 workers 3 spaces using factory Move + Speed, throwing them out the door across the landscape as you go, and that counts as "Move one unit"?

3. Similarly, the normal Move rules say "Move...different units..." However, if I have an upgraded Move action + Speed, and 3 mechs each 2 spaces apart, can I carry the same WorkerBall of 8 workers by chaining the 3 mechs, effectively moving 8 workers 6 spaces in 1 turn?

4. Is there any hand limit on combat cards? I couldn't find one.

5. For anyone with the special edition, are you seeing 8 extra encounter cards (total of 36)? I'm not complaining at all, but everything I read suggested there should be 28 normal + 4 promo = 32 instead.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Bedz
Poland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yup. And it does not matter, because you can do bottom action of your chosen action "field" only.
2. Yes, you can move any number of workers and resources up to 3 spaces using 1 mech with speed and factory movement action.
3. Yes you can. Move mech 1 w/ workers. Then move mech 2 w/ workers and then mech 3 w/ workers
4. There is no limit to combat cards you can hold.
5. I have no idea, still waiting for my copy
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also after 2 Scythes plays I just realized I had a MASSIVE oversight: The enlist bonus triggers not just for neighbors (or your 2-player opponent), but also when you take the bottom row action. That makes enlist so much better.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Bedz
Poland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. It triggers when you or your neighbour takes that action. That is why there is small icon with 3 people on it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Jeno
Canada
flag msg tools
GAFBlizzard wrote:
Also after 2 Scythes plays I just realized I had a MASSIVE oversight: The enlist bonus triggers not just for neighbors (or your 2-player opponent), but also when you take the bottom row action. That makes enlist so much better.


I've played 6 games and totally didn't even realize that!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
misioooo wrote:
1. Yup. And it does not matter, because you can do bottom action of your chosen action "field" only.
2. Yes, you can move any number of workers and resources up to 3 spaces using 1 mech with speed and factory movement action.
3. Yes you can. Move mech 1 w/ workers. Then move mech 2 w/ workers and then mech 3 w/ workers
4. There is no limit to combat cards you can hold.


That looks correct on alll counts .

Regarding 1) here's what the rulebook says:

Rulebook wrote:
When your Move action is completely finished (after winning combat if necessary), if your character is on the Factory for the first time this game, look through the Factory cards on the board. You must choose one card and return the rest to the board.


So yes, you would take the factory card before going on to the bottom action.

I can't think of a sitation, where it would matter, though .
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
5. For anyone with the special edition, are you seeing 8 extra encounter cards (total of 36)? I'm not complaining at all, but everything I read suggested there should be 28 normal + 4 promo = 32 instead.


Yes, 36 is the correct count. If I remember correctly 4 extra were added after the Kickstarter and after that the Kickstarter page can no longer be updated.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
Regarding 1) here's what the rulebook says:

Rulebook wrote:
When your Move action is completely finished (after winning combat if necessary), if your character is on the Factory for the first time this game, look through the Factory cards on the board. You must choose one card and return the rest to the board.


So yes, you would take the factory card before going on to the bottom action.

I can't think of a sitation, where it would matter, though .

By accident, I actually found a case where this mattered today.

I had an objective card (#22) that said "Have 1 Factory card and 0 upgrades".

My player mat (Agricultural) let me upgrade in the same turn as moving. I moved to the Factory, picked up a card, revealed the objective for a star, and THEN upgraded in the same turn.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I did the same thing last night.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve T
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just realised while reading this thread that you could take the bottom action of the Factory card on the same turn that you picked it up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve777 wrote:
Just realised while reading this thread that you could take the bottom action of the Factory card on the same turn that you picked it up.


Steve: I'm sorry if that was conveyed here, but that's not the case. You can only choose one section of your player mat per turn, so if you chose the section with the Move action (which results in your character ending up on the Factory), after the Move action is complete, you'll get a Factory card. But you've already chosen your section of the player mat that turn (i.e., not the Factory card), so the only bottom-row action you can take that turn is the one below the Move action.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve T
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course! What was I thinking? Thanks Jamey.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.