Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Diemer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, with all the amazing dungeon crawlers already out there, why this one?

I've read everything official on their KS page, and watched the videos there, but without any real reviews from test copies, it is hard for me to grasp how this game varies from the others on the market.

I think the only thing I've gathered is that it is much simpler than other similar games. Is that the selling point? Any other good features or new concepts that make this one different?

Thanks guys, I didn't really see this question asked anywhere else before, sorry if been asked and answered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Australia
Terrey Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
-Value for money with the minis.
-Simpler gameplay than a lot of the other dungeon crawler/skirmish games on the market.
-High production quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric D
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you own or have interest in Zombicide: Black Plague then there is also the cross-over with an add-on. This adds more replay-ability for both games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon rorke
South Africa
Sandton
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You also have the huge fact that this is a CO-OP dungeon crawler that doesnt have the need dungeon master. While things like descent you can sometimes feel the game leans in to harsh of a direction.

Another thing is the amount of minitures you get you can always use in other games or make great pieces for playing DnD.

Massive darkness is a good introduction to a dungeon crawling game and has the possibility of having multiply addons to increase its gaming life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elle Elle
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cause it has cool minis

Or not
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gábor Both
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Others mentioned the production quality already, so I'm going to focus on gameplay.

It's easy to include or drop players as needed, while many dungeon crawlers are a bit of a time investment for everyone involved, both in time commitment to play with the group and teaching time. This one can be easily taught and easily played as a two-hour one-shot. People's characters can simply be saved by keeping their character sheet.

It's like Zombicide in the sense that it's sort of a sandbox - you can tailor your experience based on your collection. You can edit the monster decks to have different difficulties or special challenges, make up your own quests, etc.

Story Mode. It's a WIP right now, because they only added it after community requests (including mine). It's going to be a more persistent campaign mode with slower progression, a town phase, etc. All without a dungeon master. Multiple ways to play are always good.

Unique gameplay aspects, such as hiding from patrols, breaking pillars to lock up the dungeon behind you, etc.

One more thing: it can be played solo. With only one hero, if you wish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always wait for the reviews. CMON has said there will be no dragons, so there's speculation that there will be a second MD KS with dragons -- and possibly better rules and gameplay.

You *are* paying for the mini's, and CMON's miniatures are the best boardgame miniatures on the market, at least for the KS price you're paying. They can be used in any 28mm generic fantasy game, such as Dungeons and Dragons, Song of Blade and Heroes, etc, so you're not buying components for one game here. I don't know why boardgamers can't use miniatures of one game in another game system -- roleplayers and miniature wargamers have been doing this for almost half a century.

What did you think of the rules? The shadow mode seems to add tactical decisions that go beyond the "spend an action to move" mechanic that most dc's have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Depends on what your looking for. For me I want a solo game that is easy to track, a game to play with my young son or people who might not want to learn all the rules to some of the other DC's. also the miniatures will be great for free form rules like Song of Blades, or replacements for the other dungeon crawls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogazmoe wrote:
Cause it has cool minis

Or not

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- simple accessible rules for a dungeon crawler (gateway/children)
- no dungeon master
- 1 to 6 players
- Diablo style hack'n'slash feeling
- Zombicide: Black Plague crossover
- bang for buck

These are my excuses...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Have you listened to our YouTube Podcast "Die Nische" yet? :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Lack of Innovation
Dumb and repetitive gameplay
No storytelling at all
Pure Zombicide Clone
Minis try to blend People that this game has nothing to offer

Oh, you wanted the other side of Arguments. Hm...there aren't any...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beckikaze wrote:
Lack of Innovation
Like 90% of all dungeon crawlers

Beckikaze wrote:
Dumb and repetitive gameplay
"Dumb" depends on likings, "repetitive gameplay" fits actually to all dungeon crawlers

Beckikaze wrote:
No storytelling at all
We don't know yet. The fluff updates in latest times prove that CMON/GG could do that as good as the other dungeon crawlers.

Beckikaze wrote:
Pure Zombicide Clone
Just no. Although base mechanics are from Zombicide, already the new combat dice and shadow mode system are more than enough not to be labeled like that.

Beckikaze wrote:
Minis try to blend People that this game has nothing to offer
Minis give the painters and enthusiasts something to go crazy about. Gamers know what the game has to offer by reading the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You generally don't buy CMON games for the game. Black Plague and Blood Rage are the two exceptions.

But if you are looking for a superior dungeon crawl gaming experience, not much beats Star Wars Imperial Assault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
bryanwinter wrote:
You generally don't buy CMON games for the game. Black Plague and Blood Rage are the two exceptions.

But if you are looking for a superior dungeon crawl gaming experience, not much beats Star Wars Imperial Assault.

But that requires an Overlord, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom S
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bryanwinter wrote:

Which according to your statement, MD might be an exception as well since it's built around BP rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W McG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stowed4sea wrote:
Basically, with all the amazing dungeon crawlers already out there, why this one?

What games do you consider "amazing dungeon crawlers"?

For me, the problem is the opposite. Dungeon crawlers keep coming out, but they all suck. We all keep buying them because we hope they don't, but they always do. Imperial Assault may be the exception, I haven't played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They don't all suck, but so far none of them have delivered the perfect dungeon crawl experience. In much the same way that no game has (yet?) delivered the perfect civ game in 2-3 hours.

This might be because different people want different things. But equally I hold out hope that someone, somewhere will nail it.

But I doubt that MD is that game. Question is, is it good enough to stand with - or above - the best of the dungeon crawlers that are already out, such that it gets played while we are all waiting for "the one".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W McG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
They don't all suck, but so far none of them have delivered the perfect dungeon crawl experience. In much the same way that no game has (yet?) delivered the perfect civ game in 2-3 hours.

This might be because different people want different things. But equally I hold out hope that someone, somewhere will nail it.

But I doubt that MD is that game. Question is, is it good enough to stand with - or above - the best of the dungeon crawlers that are already out, such that it gets played while we are all waiting for "the one".

What are you considering among the best dungeon crawlers? I love the genre, I just haven't liked the games so far, so I'd be interested in some recommendations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Have you listened to our YouTube Podcast "Die Nische" yet? :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Brimstone has the best RPG feeling which is Kind of innovative for my expectations.

Gameplay wise the AI System of Galaxy Defenders is very innovative. The Story System on top of that bears Imperial Assault easily.

Machina Arcana has a very fresh Story driven aspect to it.

Maybe one should play the right games in this genre...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think this one will be very dungeon-crawley. Seems it'll be pretty skimpy on that stuff, compared to other crawls, maybe. More skirmish-y than anything else.

Why should we sell you? If it's not appealing to you at this point, then that probably says something. You're probably better off skipping it.

This one will be available at retail later without missing too much stuff that you will regret later. You can always wait for reviews and more info. I can't see it being too hard to get into the game later. So if I felt like you, I'd probably just wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the massive scope of Descent 1, but it took far too long to play. Descent 2 is the best that I currently play, but it can feel like a series of puzzles to solve while racing for the goal.

I'm in the camp of people still looking for the best dungeon crawler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't know if it will sell you on the game, but I'll tell you why I'm backing.

The game, honestly, looks a little lackluster. I may or may not ever actually play it.

But I am a total whore for miniatures, and the minis in Massive Darkness are not just very cool, they are abundant. At last count, somewhere over 140 minis, and loads of those are very large minis that should cost 10-20 bucks apiece. For just the base game, even with US shipping, you're looking at a wild selection of miniatures at less than a buck each. For the clone figures like dwarves and troglodytes, that's a good deal. For the huge guys like the overseer and giant spider (and a whole hell of a lot more), that's a freaking steal.

With all those minis, I can repurpose them for D&D, old-school Warhammer Quest, Dungeon Saga, and a whole pile of other games. I can spend months painting them with slap-dash speed-painting and still not get them all done (yes, that's an upside for me, shut up). If the game is fun, great. If it's boring and repetitive and uninspired, I still don't care because holy crap that's a lot of really good miniatures for what is an absurdly good price.

Compare this with the recent Reaper Bones KS projects. I went deep on those to get the minis, and they're not even very good minis. That rubbery PVC gets bent all to hell and won't hold detail. Massive Darkness will have better minis, and more huge minis, and will be better quality minis. If they ran this project just for the minis I would be in, and I still wouldn't quibble about the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot sell you on this game.

First, I don't have a copy yet.

Second, if I did have a copy, you would crush the box, and damage the contents.

Third, selling a person is illegal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:
bryanwinter wrote:

But that requires an Overlord, right?

It does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deserteagle2525 wrote:
bryanwinter wrote:

Which according to your statement, MD might be an exception as well since it's built around BP rules.

That's why I backed it. :-)

But I don't expect it to be a "great" dungeon crawl. I expect it to be BP with a few more rules. But still fun and loose and beer-n-pretzles-y

Honestly, if you want my humble opinion, the very best dungeon crawl board game is D&D 4e. Seriously, it's a fantastic tactical minis game. Pretty sucky RPG, but we have 5e now, and that's amazing.

If you are looking for a co-op experience, I think Descent with the Road to Legend app is amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.