1 , 2  Next »   | 

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: What is considered a good haul of coins? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Mckenzie
Australia
flag msg tools
So having backed the art Connoisseur edition I couldn't be much happier with the game. It's great and now the weekend is almost here I look forward to playing again.

Just wondering though, can anyone say what would be considered a good winning score?

I feel like I really smashed my first game with Polania ending up with 117 coins at the end, my opponent had 40 something. And the best thing was doing it without initiating any combat. Satisfying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PaweĊ‚ Bedz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During my few games (10+) scores were very different. Sometimes in 40ish, sometimes 100+... It all depends how the game will go and how/when it will end.
The best score is the score that is enough to let you win!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Whyte
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule book says $75+
I most of our games are around $80-90 the best was my wife on $105

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Benson
United States
Syosset
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just realized the rule book actually says "pick up coins" as you score for each category on the Popularity track. Is that what everyone is doing? I was just tallying up the points with a pencil and paper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mckenzie
Australia
flag msg tools
Hmm, okay thanks for the reply. I guess having 18 popularity and 8 workers spread around the map definately helped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mckenzie
Australia
flag msg tools
Yeah we didn't bother with coins at the end as it seemed pointless with the game being over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gnbenson wrote:
I just realized the rule book actually says "pick up coins" as you score for each category on the Popularity track. Is that what everyone is doing? I was just tallying up the points with a pencil and paper.

It's a good excuse to use the 10s and 20s

I like using the coins, it's easy to hand out x number of coins while you do the end game scoring, everyone trades up to the higher denominations and then the final result is easy to calculate.

Nothing says you can't just tally it up in your head or using a pen and paper though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Hardin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First game last night. Final score was:

26 (or something close)

I felt like we all definitely missed out on picking up all of our coins (I know I forgot to do so when taking some actions)

And of course being our first game I suspect our scores will do nothing but go up from here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game One we had something like:

Game Two we had:

Second game ended kind of an "early" end because we were playing a five player and the game was dragging. So, I ended with my sixth star knowing I could've played at least two more rounds and up my score, but instead felt like it was time to end it and take second or third.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robtion wrote:
Yeah we didn't bother with coins at the end as it seemed pointless with the game being over.

I figure since I payed extra for the metal coins I'd mine as well use them haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mckenzie
Australia
flag msg tools
Jimmydm90 wrote:
robtion wrote:

I figure since I payed extra for the metal coins I'd mine as well use them haha.

Yeah, the metal coins are great. Bit of a bummer you dont use most of them until the tally at the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kara S
United States
Palmer
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robtion wrote:
Yeah, the metal coins are great. Bit of a bummer you dont use most of them until the tally at the end.

True, although the better we get at playing, the more often players in my group are getting $10s and $20s in their pile before game-end. We definitely run out of $20s when we score at the end so I'm really looking forward to the Albion $50s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hogue
United States
O'fallon
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howlsthunder wrote:
robtion wrote:

True, although the better we get at playing, the more often players in my group are getting $10s and $20s in their pile before game-end. We definitely run out of $20s when we score at the end so I'm really looking forward to the Albion $50s.

Albion/Celts will be getting $2s. Togawa/Japan gets the $50s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sammy
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 3 games I think & I don't recall any player getting over $35.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sammy: That's a big unusual! Average scores are around $70. Can you pinpoint any reason why you all are getting so few coins? Perhaps it's related to how you're doing end-game scoring? It's possible you're playing correctly, but I just want to try to help if not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First game (4P) last friday : 93-56-48-37.
I won with Crimea. I own $20 in my pocket before end game scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Hardin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fdubois wrote:

You're saying you scored 73 in end game? Damn.... And by the looks of those other scores I'm betting you're a little more experienced at the game then the other 3 were?

Wait, was it everybody's first game?

If you did have 73 in bonus I'm assuming it was:

6 stars * 5
10! Territories * 4
2 goods (1*3)

Total 73
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingarthur1976 wrote:
fdubois wrote:

You're saying you scored 73 in end game? Damn.... And by the looks of those other scores I'm betting you're a little more experienced at the game then the other 3 were?

6 stars * 5
10! Territories * 4
2 goods (1*3)

Total 73

Oups. Sorry, you are right :

21 coins in my pocket
6 stars * 4
6 territories * 3
5 goods * 2

I won but with 73.

Sorry again and thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Hardin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fdubois wrote:
kingarthur1976 wrote:
fdubois wrote:

6 stars * 5
10! Territories * 4
2 goods (1*3)

Total 73

Oups. Sorry, you are right :

21 coins in my pocket
6 stars * 4
6 territories * 3
5 goods * 2

I won but with 73.

Sorry again and thanks.

No worries! I was just thinking I'd better not play against you because you would beat me bad!

Just an FYI you may have scored your goods wrong (did you actually have 10 goods left over?) Every two goods gets you the bonus. (but you may have known that already)

Enjoy many more plays of this great game!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had 10 resources. I stole 6 Woods to the Nordic front door on the last combat (put my 6th star).
I manage to attack The Nordic by teleporting myself a few turns before into Rusviet base camp.devil

Awesome game yeah but i won't put my dirty hands on my french copy before mid november.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fdubois wrote:
I own $20 in my pocket before end game scoring.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but it would be interesting to see how many coins people have when the sixth star is placed. i.e. How many coins did you have *before* going through endgame scoring? I've been wondering about the feasibility of setting up an in-game money generating engine and running the crap out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mbialeck wrote:
fdubois wrote:
I own $20 in my pocket before end game scoring.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but it would be interesting to see how many coins people have when the sixth star is placed. i.e. How many coins did you have *before* going through endgame scoring? I've been wondering about the feasibility of setting up an in-game money generating engine and running the crap out of it.

Saxony had 2 coins.
Poland and Nordic 0 coins.
I had my 21 coins in bank at the start of my final turn.

I had this player board (with Crimea) :

I deployed my 4 Mechs, upgraded decently (don't remember how much exactly) and enlisted 4 times.

For possible strategies, i would suggest this helpful comment :
Re: Scythe - Feels flat and lacks Layers
IceHot lists possible strategies. 2 of them are :
Quote:
* Upgrade and Coin Strategy
* Enlistment Interaction and Coin Strategy

This comment makes me want to dig this game a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Hardin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fdubois wrote:
I had 10 resources. I stole 6 Woods to the Nordic front door on the last combat (put my 6th star).
I manage to attack The Nordic by teleporting myself a few turns before into Rusviet base camp.devil

Awesome game yeah but i won't put my dirty hands on my french copy before mid november.

Nice move! Last game I played my opponent spread out right before my turn knowing I was going to place my 6th star. (They would have placed their 6th on their turn)

I got to fill out the "Place 6 stars and not win" achievement that day. Not a happy person angry

Final Score was

64 (me)
40 something
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tibbles von tibbleton
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
My only play so far I ended with maybe 26 coins before final scoring. I ended high 70s, 8 popularity, 9 territories, 6 stars, 4 goods. Rusviets with the board that starts with more coins and gets money for recruiting. I did 4 recruits and a 5th hit on that action to also get my power to 16, so 15 coins from that.

I don't see a money engine alone working too well, other than Rusviets that's only 3 coins every other turn, right? You'd need it coupled with another point generating action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tibbles wrote:
I don't see a money engine alone working too well, other than Rusviets that's only 3 coins every other turn, right? You'd need it coupled with another point generating action.

I don't have my game with me right now, but I seem to recall several of the factory cards as being good coin-generators. Isn't there one that allows you to convert power to coins? That would be an excellent addition to the strategy you described.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.