Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Massive Darkness» Forums » General

Subject: There is just one to many monsters that are large carrying a big mace rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
simon rorke
South Africa
Sandton
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to say there aren't some amazing roaming monsters but 7 out of the 16 of kickstarter exclusive monsters are brandishing some big mace hammer thing.

Its just a bit bland I can see why they made lil ned into a hero. This might a reason why having some many roaming monsters as a goal seems boring. The beholder was exciting, the two headed mob is just boring. Where is the Giant Slime or a Basilisk or a Chimera or Hydra!

Reminds of Zombicide Black Plague where I think over 50% of the heros had a 2 handed sword.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Baker
United Kingdom
Ferndown
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmb
Early on Thiago (of CMON) mentioned the campaign was doing much better than he expected, this may have also been the consensus within Guillotine Games.

It could be what we are getting are alternate designs of ogres that didn't make the cut or perhaps were not in the final scope, for this campaign. And these have now been added to keep the money coming in.

Either way free unlocks are free unlocks, I quite like them, I do think that Lord Blinkaton or whatever was originally planned to be the last stretch goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If I was a 8ft 600lbs beast of a man, I would carry a club. But yes a few extra creatures would be cool. How about a wolf creature with tentacles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I played D&D, there was a running joke about there being a warehouse full of +1 maces in the Underdark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind the big monsters using clubs. It makes some thematic sense to me (why bother crafting a large sword when a tree trunk will do just as nicely). What strikes me as weird is that half the smaller miniatures are in an arms outstretched pose. So instead of looking like they are going to kill something, they look like they're saying "go ahead, shoot me in the chest!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Kelsch
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In D&D, Martial weapons take skill and training to use... Where things like a mace, don't...

Creatures with brute strength and clumsy bodies with small brains are not a good fit for a skilled weapon like a sword. On the other hand, a smart, trained fighter who is not overly strong is a lot more deadly with a sword over an axe or mace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know what you're saying!!!

All it takes is one Ogre to smash a couple of heroes to pulp with a mace. You know?

After that, all the other monsters want a mace of their own!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cbrua wrote:
I don't mind the big monsters using clubs. It makes some thematic sense to me (why bother crafting a large sword when a tree trunk will do just as nicely). What strikes me as weird is that half the smaller miniatures are in an arms outstretched pose. So instead of looking like they are going to kill something, they look like they're saying "go ahead, shoot me in the chest!" :p

Just add 2 weapons
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That arms out pose is the easiest way to make some kind of dynamic pose while fitting the molds for soft plastic figures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In another thread someone mentioned there being way to many bipedal creatures in Massive Darkness. I think the amount is fine though, it is a fantasy game that is following fantasy tropes.

Look at all the bipeds found in fantasy carrying clubs. You have trolls, ogre, giants, orcs, golems, minotaurs, and cyclops, just to name a few. That isn't even including all the bipeds that don't use weapons such as ents or elementals. In comparison how many creatures are down on all fours (or more)? You have dragons (and similarly hydras/wyrms/basilik), griffins, spiders, manticores, and really that is all for the more popular ones. Of course there are more when you get into the lesser known, but it looks like CMoN was just trying to hit all the really popular ones. For that reason it makes sense they have so many big bipeds with clubs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Willo
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Exo Desta wrote:
I'm fine with the clubs, it's all those pointy hats that get me..

What! You don't like a PARTY?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.