9 Posts

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » General

Subject: Lucky dice? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ferdinand Marques
msg tools
mb
Is this game too dependent on luck in rolling dice?
Or the player with more skill wins the game even with some bad luck...

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The player with more skill usually wins, but not always. Rebellion mimics life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Derr
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Get off my Avatar NERD!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't use luck.... my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.

Also, better strategy tends to win out, but in very close games luck can win out. But it's those close games that leave you biting your nails as the dice bounce around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Hawkes
United Kingdom
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah i agree, occasionally there are some astoundingly good or bad rolls that can be very painful - I've seen one rebel trooper wipe out huge imperial fleets, but the better strategy has won the game every time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Vensko
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not only dice, but also card draw may cost you the victory sometimes

the same time strategy and tactics are very important

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Private Blinky
msg tools
To actually win: yes, the game is significantly based on luck and dice.
To grant you the feeling and experience that you are in a position to win: not by a long shot.

Knowledge of what both sides are do in this game is key, even more so since the two sides have some different priorities and mechanics. So the person more familiar with both sides of play will have an inherent advantage, since the person can pull of the more 'skillful' play. That can make the game is a bit more punishing for first-time players, since there is so much opportunity for counter-play underpinning most actions; it definitely rewards players for those who have taken the time to discover the best (re)action for a certain situation.

But even knowledge and strategy have to take a bit of a back burner in the end. If you have two or more players of an equal level of knowledge and tactical awareness, this game's outcome (along with any other game in existence), will then be primarily driven by luck (through the multitude of cards drawn and dice rolled), with maybe the odd strategic play maybe hindering or helping the one side, but not enough so that they have no longer a chance of winning. However, make too many 'sub-optimal' tactic and strategy choices and yes, all the winning dice rolls in the world will not be able to save you from a loss.

To counteract a poorly made play , there is a fair bit of rule-breaking on both sides that allow a player temporarily defeated (due to dice rolls or what-have-you) in one element or combat zone to comeback and still have a chance to actually win the game. This is a polarizing effect; it makes the player who made the better strategic choices throughout the game feel like a victory robbed, but it also ramps the tension for everyone playing through the entirety of the game to feel every win (and every loss) that much...more...critical. I personally like to have a game where there is always a close victory, to make it feel that the winner has earned it, but not so much to discourage the other player by giving them the impression that the game was already lost for them 2 hours ago.

Consider the last few posts before mine, the game does such an excellent job of obfuscating the luck elements and providing multiple means of countering any situation, that it easily leads players down the path that strategy will help overcome minor setbacks, and if given luck is equal, it definitely will. But who could ever state that the amount of luck is equal for both sides under any regard?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
In my experience there's no such thing as "luck"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
Having posted in one of your other "luck" threads just yesterday, I looked to see how many other game folders you've posed the question in over the last month. Turns out this only your fifth - the others are here:

Luck or skill?
It's just a matter of luck? Or skill?
Luck and dice dependence...
Dice dependence...

With the database numbering ~80,000 games, I calculate you should be able to complete your survey by year's end 3349 C.E., but there's a problem: BGG is adding new games at a far faster clip.
Bottom line, you're losing ground. Time to step up the pace!

(The other thing you might consider is that you've yet to ask about a game where skill is not more important than luck. I'm guessing you've determined that beforehand, but posts from the occasional anti-luck wacko make you nervous. The wackos aren't going away, so I suggest you learn to filter them out. If you made a good geekbuddy list of people with trusted opinions you could save a lot of time and energy in the long run.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Having posted in one of your other "luck" threads just yesterday, I looked to see how many other game folders you've posed the question in over the last month. Turns out this only your fifth - the others are here

Compelling evidence, Sphere. But - did you find it through skill, or was it simply luck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.