1 , 2  Next »   | 

Cosmic Balance» Forums » General

Subject: Surprised by Kickstarter stall rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Ankney

Pennsylvania
msg tools
I thought for sure that this game would be one of those that funded fast, but it has slowed down significantly. I still think it will fund, but I wonder what is causing backers to stay away? The gameplay looks fun, the concept is unique, and the art is phenomenal. The campaign page has a link to the rule book and a "how to play" video (both are things I look for when backing a game). The only two reason I can think of are that a lot of people shy away from first time projects and some people only back projects with exclusives.

I know that I don't subscribe to either of those reasons. A creator has to start somewhere, plus, the creators of Cosmic Balance have a lot of experience in the gaming industry. As for exclusives, I feel like they can divide the community, so I respect when a creator doesn't want to include them.

I can't figure out why some games on Kickstarter fund incredibly fast and others struggle to the finish line. Maybe it comes down to lack of advertising. anyone else have any theories?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
蓝魔
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
High initial funding TARGET (for a card game) and somewhat stage managed STRETCH GOALS could be the reason ..

However I too thought it would SMASH through them pretty easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moocifer wrote:
High initial funding TARGET (for a card game) and somewhat stage managed STRETCH GOALS could be the reason ..

However I too thought it would SMASH through them pretty easily.

I am curious too. I think this game looks AMAZING and cant wait to play it.

I am curious however why Boardgame Brawls video is not posted here. Are we allowed to post it from youtube? (whats the etiquette regarding such a thing. His preview sold me on the game right away and i was surprised it wasnt on this page.

For reference, here it is and it belongs in the video segment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asy9bKAIV_Y
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stavros tsiakalos
msg tools
mbmbmb
Stretch Goals look mostly fine to me. But it is a real shame that things are going so slowly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Diener
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, at least: the art is a complete turn-off.
I'll follow the campaign progress because the game-play looks intriguing,
but the graphics seem one part Maurice Sendak, one part La Planète Sauvage.
(Which is Fine if you like that sort of thing, but I personally find it stomach-churning).

Interesting, in that I am currently backing Overseers on the strength of the art,
but I an beginning to doubt the game itself is worth the investment....
This game may be the catalyst to cancel that backing:
Funny how that works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arty N.
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
White Elk wrote:
For me, at least: the art is a complete turn-off.

I think the art is absolutely amazing. It's unique and fits the theme extremely well. The game needs a different box art though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I'd agree that the game could use different box art. Something a little more striking. The game logo/font could certainly also use work. I am a backer and cannot wait to Actually play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hudson
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Played at Dice Tower Con. Very good light area control battle type game. I was surprised at how quickly it played. The actions on the cards made for some interesting choices. Tipping the scale in your favor is fun and strategic. Solid game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Tinsman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Hi! I'm the creator of the game and we've been doing tons of interviews and working with gaming communities to get awareness about the game. The Boardgame Brawl video was posted here in the video section. I'll ask the mods about it. Thanks for your continued support. We played it at Dice Tower Con and folks loved it... the feedback we're getting now from the few who have dropped pledges is that there were too many games to choose from on KS and not enough funds to back all the games they wanted! But folks seem to love the game mechanics, the scale and the art. We are still hopeful it will fund in the next few weeks. - Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Tinsman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Here is where the Boardgame Brawl video is posted on BGG.
https://boardgamegeek.com/video/103052/cosmic-balance/board-...

Where else should it have been posted?

Thanks,
Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex, Im baffled, that seems like the proper posting, but its not showing up in the video section. Excellent that you went out to Dice Tower Con. Wish I could have made that trip.

Since kickstarter has been going for many years now, I am sure there are some folks who use a successful templated formula for creating a funded project. I say this cause many of the games that DO fund are very generic and boring looking to me while they are funding alongside the incredible projects like Blood Rage or Scythe. I wonder what that template is.

To me, Cosmic Balance stands far out from the crowd and I am the most excited about it than any of the other projects I have backed. other than the minor things I have already mentioned that i think could be changed its all in all unique and beautiful.

Maybe someone here with a better kickstarter understanding can fill us in: is there any sort of 'first project' jitters that potential funders may run into?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ankney

Pennsylvania
msg tools
I haven't been a part of the Kickstarter community for very long, but I have some friends that have been doing it for years. They told me specifically that they are wary of first projects from creators and don't often back them. The way I look at it, if I like the project, I'll support it. I love being able to help someone achieve their vision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We Playthrough
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
For me, I kept skipping over the forums related to this game because I thought it was a cosmic encounter expansion.

To be honest, I clicked here because I wanted to confirm that FFG wasn't using kickstarter for an expansion.

That could be hurting some of the speed of it funding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Tinsman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
I'll reach out to the BGG mods about the video... how weird. We need all the love and awareness we can get! Thanks for your support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Birkett
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The game looks excellent! Great job with the campaign! It is very clear how much work went into it. I think you'll fund, but you have definitely been doing everything right either way. It is strange that it has not raised more. I really was blown away by the game and that doesn't happen very often for me.

AlexTinsman wrote:
Hi! I'm the creator of the game and we've been doing tons of interviews and working with gaming communities to get awareness about the game. The Boardgame Brawl video was posted here in the video section. I'll ask the mods about it. Thanks for your continued support. We played it at Dice Tower Con and folks loved it... the feedback we're getting now from the few who have dropped pledges is that there were too many games to choose from on KS and not enough funds to back all the games they wanted! But folks seem to love the game mechanics, the scale and the art. We are still hopeful it will fund in the next few weeks. - Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
black gauntlet
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, this is totally strange. Everything seems legit. WTH is stalling this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rahdo! where are you when we need you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont know what's up, the "See all" button on the video segment says there are 7 videos, but I only see 2. do you mind if I try to repost the BGB preview and see what happens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Owen
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good info:

http://casualgamerevolution.com/blog/2016/07/tabletop-games-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Tinsman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Go for it! Repost it! I sent a note to the mods already but it looks like it isn't resolved for you yet? Thanks for your help! -Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Tinsman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
We actually ran this by Rhado, who we are big fans of, but he doesn't do combat game reviews. He did like the concept and scale mechanic though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ankney

Pennsylvania
msg tools
I'm more worried now than when I originally posted. I will be bummed if the game does not get funded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Tinsman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
A lot of Kickstarters actually get funded the last few days when Kickstarter begins to promote games that are close to ending... clearly it's in their best interest to do this since they get a cut of the products that succeed. We also have begun pushing ads. It feels close, I know, but I still believe the game will get funded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glenn3e glenn3e
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just aiming for "funded" is worse for backers though since we will be missing 3 whole factions in the Stretched Goals among other things. I would hope for a relaunch rather than a barely funded campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Tinsman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Nah, we'll add stuff when this gets funded. Stretch goals have a funny way of getting unlocked pretty quickly near the end of a KS campaign. The killer bunnies are my favorite faction anyway and I can't imagine shipping without them. It's my homage to Joss Whedon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.