Subject: Imperial Settlers / Nations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
G Strobel
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial Settlers fell flat for us. After watching a few reviews of Nations the two seem fairly similar. Is there enough differences between the two that Nations would be a viable replacement or would it just feel the same as IS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me they're nothing alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
To be honest, I never saw the games being similar at all.

However, now you mention it, being both card-driven civ games means there's an element of commonality.

Whether you'll like it, that's hard to say. I personally prefer Imperial Settlers to Nations.

And, while you're at it, you should also consider Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavol Salak
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games have in common managing resources and buying/spending cards. But I consider them vastly different. So far I've only played IS solo. But from what I've read it's too long for 4 players. Nations is also very long game, but it is magnificent in 4 or 5 players and also very good in 3. .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Steer
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
This might be worth a watch

https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/videos/review-nations/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Strobel
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JJWonderboy wrote:
To be honest, I never saw the games being similar at all.

However, now you mention it, being both card-driven civ games means there's an element of commonality.

Whether you'll like it, that's hard to say. I personally prefer Imperial Settlers to Nations.

And, while you're at it, you should also consider Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization

The 180-240 minute game time of Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization is a real turn off for me. The game time of Nations is pushing the limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
"Some fights will just get you bloody"
mbmbmbmbmb
What didn't you like about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any similarity at all. That said, I vastly prefer Nations. That probably doesn't explain my position well enough. I won't even play Imperial Settlers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Strobel
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DanielFirestorm wrote:

It's hard to explain. I really like the idea of IS. It's just nothing grabs me and after 2 rounds I'm ready to box it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are nothing alike at all. Nations is a much better game, by miles. Patchistory is also superior to Imperial Settlers in my opinion as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gstrobe188 wrote:
DanielFirestorm wrote:

It's hard to explain. I really like the idea of IS. It's just nothing grabs me and after 2 rounds I'm ready to box it up.

Unfortunately, nothing will grab you with nations, then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Fort St James
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
DanielFirestorm wrote:
Gstrobe188 wrote:
DanielFirestorm wrote:

That's not necessarily true. I'm not a fan of IS but I like Nations pretty well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JazzFish wrote:
DanielFirestorm wrote:
Gstrobe188 wrote:
DanielFirestorm wrote:

That's not necessarily true. I'm not a fan of IS but I like Nations pretty well.

They're both resource management and development over time with endgame scoring. The military actions are more generalized in nations, but that isn't going to "grab" you. Neither is lack of hand management or a stay ahead strategy.

It's good but its not a grab you game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DanielFirestorm wrote:
JazzFish wrote:
DanielFirestorm wrote:
Gstrobe188 wrote:
DanielFirestorm wrote:

They're both resource management and development over time with endgame scoring. The military actions are more generalized in nations, but that isn't going to "grab" you. Neither is lack of hand management or a stay ahead strategy.

Wow you just described thousands of games made. Resource management with development over time with endgame scoring. It sounds like he should stick to the abstracts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mabuchi wrote:
DanielFirestorm wrote:
JazzFish wrote:
DanielFirestorm wrote:
Gstrobe188 wrote:
DanielFirestorm wrote:

Wow you just described thousands of games made. Resource management with development over time with endgame scoring. It sounds like he should stick to the abstracts.

Sure, but these games are similar in how they do it and why they do it (civ building games). Their differences will not wow him. Would you like to make an argument or do you have another strawman to bash?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DanielFirestorm wrote:
Mabuchi wrote:
DanielFirestorm wrote:
JazzFish wrote:
DanielFirestorm wrote:
Gstrobe188 wrote:
DanielFirestorm wrote:

Sure, but these games are similar in how they do it and why they do it (civ building games). Their differences will not wow him. Would you like to make an argument or do you have another strawman to bash?

The games are not similar at all in how they do it. They are not at all related in how you score end game points, and they have no resemblance with regards to how military, or conflict is resolved.

I could easily see the following scenarios. Doesn't like IP or Nations, Likes one or other but dislikes one or the other, or likes them both. Each one is equally probably for the average gamer.

I would say that Nations is far more tense, and has much tougher decisions.

Besides, I didn't make the strawman, you did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mabuchi wrote:
DanielFirestorm wrote:
Mabuchi wrote:
DanielFirestorm wrote:
JazzFish wrote:
DanielFirestorm wrote:
Gstrobe188 wrote:
DanielFirestorm wrote:

It sounds like he should stick to the abstracts.

The games are not similar at all in how they do it. They are not at all related in how you score end game points, and they have no resemblance with regards to how military, or conflict is resolved.

I could easily see the following scenarios. Doesn't like IP or Nations, Likes one or other but dislikes one or the other, or likes them both. Each one is equally probably for the average gamer.
Wow you just described thousands of games made. Resource management with development over time with endgame scoring.
I would say that Nations is far more tense, and has much tougher decisions.

Besides, I didn't make the strawman, you did.

Demonstration of strawman:"Wow you just described thousands of games made."

Actual point to have argued:"...these games are similar in how they do it and why they do it..."

He believes they're similar and I demonstrated how and how not.

So, you unconditionally disagree that both games have you (1) use resources to (2) develop buildings to (3) gain more resources which will be used in turn to (4) continue to generate resources or points and (5) buildings will be used for end game scoring, all in the setting of (5)civilization building?

I Totally see how this is exactly like every other abstract game out there, then.

Furthermore, "...lack of hand management or a stay ahead strategy."
These are the differences, including conflict mentioned in the line before "The military actions are more generalized..." Notice I said they're different and wouldn't "grab" him.

Do you expect tenseness and tough decisions to "grab" this guy? He bought Imperial Settlers with cartoon art, which I like so their is nothing wrong with it, not Twilight Struggle. Its a bit of a stretch but I would venture good odds be on the idea that he doesn't necessarily want a brain burner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both and much prefer Nations. Haven't touched IS in a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.