Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Mission Impossible: The USS Pastuer— A meta Challenge + rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Plummer
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to make the Pasteur worth playing in an OP game.

I'm going beyond the Meta challenge here, because let's face it—no (or very, very few) meta is using this ship, and without some serious brainstorming, no meta ever will. I'd like to see what we can come up with to make it a viable ship to play.

SO, let's look at what it has going for it:
•It fits in the low end of the medium cost ships at 22 Points for the Named Ship, 20 for the generic.

•It has a fairly high hull and Shields for the cost.

•It can take an evade action as a free action if it moves 5 or more.

The Negatives are a bit more obvious:
•The ship steers like a boat

•It only has 1 Offense die

•It only has 1 defense die, which means the shields and Hull go down fairly quickly.

•For the Same cost, you can pick up much harder hitters, and more defensive options. A generic Fighter Squadron Costs the same as the Generic Pasteur, and is both.

•The Pasteur only has two Tech and 2 Crew slots

•The Pasteur has a 90° firing arc, and no rear arc.

•The Pastuer Does not have the Target lock action on its action bar.

Based on this, It's obvious the Pasteur isn't a front line fighter, Hull and Shields notwithstanding. It isn't built to soak hits, nor to give them out. Right now, the only place I can see it is as a support ship, circling the field to give bonuses to other ships.

SO here's a preliminary lineup:
U.S.S. Pasteur [22]
- Martok 9 (Captain) [7]
- - Covert Mission [5]
- Black (Admiral) [3]
- EM Pulse [5]
- Subspace Carrier Wave [5]
- Emergency Medical Hologram [3]
Ship Total: 50 SP
Generated by Utopia
http://kfnexus.github.io/staw-utopia/

The idea being to support a second, killer ship, giving them options while making the other side less useful against them. It's the best I can come up with right now, and it is a bit too expensive for what it needs to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Admiral Black is good, but "Mirror support ship" kind of automatically calls Admiral Worf to mind, depending on what kind of ship you're providing support for. Defiant(s) or a swarm of B'rels, maybe?

I used to play with a guy who made all sorts of wacky Pasteur builds. Unfortunately I only remember the general outlines; his typically also involved lots of passive bonuses and such:

-Giving it weapons was a lot easier when fleet captains were still legal, but you can still do Sakonna/Forward Weapons Grid.

-Borg Self-Destruct Sequence/I Stab at Thee/Cheat Death is also kind of a classic. Might as well add Yar for good measure, although she'll only go off once.

As you imply in the OP, neither of these is exactly the best use of points, but they do make the ship viable, and they're also really interesting to play against. This game doesn't normally give you nearly enough reasons to scatter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Plummer
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
The only reason I chose Black Over Worf is that Black doesn't require anyting of the ships being chosen with him. To get anything out of BlackWorf, you need to bring along at least one and preferably 2 small ships—which is good, but I didn't want to assume it, especially since you are going to need one ship as a heavy hitter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
I'm struggling with this one. Everything I want ti use it for is better served by the Prakesh.

Admiral Worf is a good one to take to make it a small ship tender and the hull ia high enough to make it a carrier for a squadeon.

With the weak attack, focusing on using the worf action is ok.

U.S.S. Pasteur (22)
Kaybok (2)
Worf (2)
Tractor Beam (3)
Total (29)

Fleet total: 29

Generated by Space Dock for Android
http://spacedockapp.org

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Richter
United States
Ruskin
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like fun challenges like this. Here is a quick build I threw together in like 10 minutes. Remember this is a "pure" Mirror Universe build.

U.S.S. Pasteur (22)
Adm. Worf (2)
Elite Talent: Yellow Alert (2)
Captain: William T. Riker (4)
Elite Talent: Strafing Run (5)

Crew: Jadzia Dax (2)
Elim Garak (3)

Tech: Inverse Tachyon Pulse (2)
Emergency Bulkheads (4)

total: 46 points

When performing a 5 or more you get a free evade token but using the strafing run allows the ship to perform an immediate free attack. Elim Garak gives the Captain a +2 to skill & will give a +1 to attack die if you disable the Captain.

You can also use Riker for a Scan token & a free action on the action bar. With a scan you can use the Inverse Tachyon Pulse.

Worf gives a good free attack to another ship at range 1-2.

Dax & the Bulkheads are just used to slow down damage taken to the hull.

The key is to get up close & personal with another ship for attacking. Just a fun little build that could possibly last 4 or 5 rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Victor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
So, a quick idea on making the Pasteur a medical ship, while being as annoying as possible.

U.S.S. Pasteur [22]
- Khan Singh 7 (Indy Reliant) [5]
- - Ceti Eel [4]
- - Lure [4]
- Tunneling Neutrino Beam [3]
- Sakonna [2]
- - Dorsal Weapons Array (Dom) [1]
- William T. Riker [3]
[44]

Room for upgrades if you want to spend the remaining points.

Dorsal is their to get a potshot in when possible since the ship doesn't turn. Can cut a point by using Mirror Dorsal Array instead, but my idea was to keep the Pasteur at range 3.

Riker isn't strictly necessary either.

Maybe use an upgrade that can discard Sakonna.

And you can circle the Pasteur around the fight at range 3, while using Neutrino Beam to repair damage to ships in the fight, especially crits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Johnsen
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
wiegeabo wrote:

U.S.S. Pasteur [22]
- Khan Singh 7 (Indy Reliant) [5]
- - Ceti Eel [4]
- - Lure [4]
- Tunneling Neutrino Beam [3]
- Sakonna [2]
- - Dorsal Weapons Array (Dom) [1]
- William T. Riker [3]
[44]

How do you have 2 Elite Talent upgrades on Khan? He still has to obey the slots on the ship, and he only has one ET slot. You could always throw Admiral Q on there for 1 point to grant another slot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Victor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just slipped my mind because I played him with Mendak over the weekend and focused on having two talents.

Q works as cheap. Adm Riker and Worf work too. But I was thinking of saving actions for the Neutrino Beam.

Actually, what might be a good elite talent is detonation codes. If they get laid, Pasteur could rush up, getting it's free evade, and set them off while the rest of the fleet takes it's time or moves later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.