Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This early on in the game's publication history, there are a number of issues that need to be resolved. However, if you don't want to wade through the questions on the FAQ thread and elsewhere, here is my short list of the most vital rules additions/changes I'm making currently to play my game! Your mileage may vary.

1. Two Player Game: Barbarians
Achaia does not function as a Home Province for the Barbarians; they don't have one (Me).

2. Two Player Game: Saving Resources You may keep two Gold for Barbarian activation only. They disappear after the Move and Battle Phase (French Rules).

3. Rules For the Heroes of the Dedaelus Labyrinth (Academy Games)

Ariane (Ariadne): Move and Combat Phase: After your opponent rolls his Battle Dice, you may decide to flee with all your Legions and other mobile land units (specials). Both players Battle Dice results are ignored. If you are the attacker, your units must flee to any adjacent or adjoining province you control. If you are the defender, your units must flee to any adjacent or adjoining province you control. If you had a Fort there, it is removed from the board.
Leader Bonus: 1 Culture

Minotaur: Build Phase: When recruited, each opposing player must remove one Legion.
Leader Bonus: 1 Trade, 1 Culture, 1 Military

Theseus: Collect Resource Phase: This player gets one extra Legendary Good for each capital city he controls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:

Ariane (Ariadne): Move and Combat Phase: After your opponent rolls his Battle Dice, you may decide to flee with all your Legions and other mobile land units (specials). Both players Battle Dice results are ignored. If you are the attacker, your units must flee to any adjacent or adjoining province you control. If you are the defender, your units must flee to any adjacent or adjoining province you control. If you had a Fort there, it is removed from the board.

Currently, the PDF of the Minotaur/Aria(d)ne/Theseus rules on the Academy Games web site (English) and Asynchron (French) are different for Aria(d)ne.

English:
➢If you are the attacker, your units must flee to an adjacent or adjoining Province you control.
➢➢If you are the defender, your units must flee to an adjacent or adjoining Province you control. If you had a Fort, it is removed from the map.

French:
➢En attaque, les unités reviennent à leur point de départ.
➢➢En défense, elles retraitent soit sur la province Capitale soit sur une province, vide d’unités ennemies, adjacente ou connectée à la province où a lieu le combat.

Translation:
➢If you are the attacker, your units must flee back to where they came from.
➢➢If you are the defender, your units must flee to the Capital or to an adjacent or adjoining Province without any enemy units.

The French rules are better (although they don't mention what happens to Fortresses, it's obvious they're destroyed since they can't move). The English looks like a bad cut-and-paste job. Plus they call the Fortress a "Fort" (which isn't used in the main rule book).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Urhixidur wrote:
chas59 wrote:

Currently, the PDF of the Minotaur/Aria(d)ne/Theseus rules on the Academy Games web site (English) and Asynchron (French) are different for Aria(d)ne.

English:
➢If you are the attacker, your units must flee to an adjacent or adjoining Province you control.
➢➢If you are the defender, your units must flee to an adjacent or adjoining Province you control. If you had a Fort, it is removed from the map.

French:
➢En attaque, les unités reviennent à leur point de départ.
➢➢En défense, elles retraitent soit sur la province Capitale soit sur une province, vide d’unités ennemies, adjacente ou connectée à la province où a lieu le combat.

Translation:
➢If you are the attacker, your units must flee back to where they came from.
➢➢If you are the defender, your units must flee to the Capital or to an adjacent or adjoining Province without any enemy units.

The French rules are better (although they don't mention what happens to Fortresses, it's obvious they're destroyed since they can't move). The English looks like a bad cut-and-paste job. Plus they call the Fortress a "Fort" (which isn't used in the main rule book).

There are actually some gamey situations for defenders with the French rules:
1. you can retreat to an enemy controlled province, as long as there are no enemy units there - even transporting via trireme across the map.
2. You can retreat to your Capital, even if it is occupied by enemy units.
3. If you are attacked in your Capital and you choose to retreat, you are allowed to retreat to your Capital.

That said, the Academy rules allow some gamey situations for attackers - you can attack, then retreat to another space you control that you could not have moved to (a cut off province, for example).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, are you going to choose one set of rules over the other, or cut and paste from both for your own Table Rules?

I just sent the FAQ link to Ashley of Academy, so Uwe should be weighing in soon. Then I'll start making my own decisions about it. In the mean time, this list will hopefully provide essentials for those that just want to get to playing--I've done 10 games so far, playing 7 of the 8 possible player number variations, and we love the game around here! We haven't added Ariane/Ariadne or the other Labyrinth heroes yet.

I mostly plan to stick with the English rules for continuity, after Uwe gets a chance to respond, but so far only the French have given us their guidance. So I've posted their answers on the FAQ thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.