Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason M
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules aren't clear on how much you can discuss what is going to happen on a turn. The examples from the rule book are too generic to extrapolate from. Our games usually result in the following conversation:

"I'm going to shoot someone."

"I'm not going to shoot someone."

I'm wondering how much everyone else discusses cards/strategy each round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
zerothefool wrote:
The rules aren't clear on how much you can discuss what is going to happen on a turn. The examples from the rule book are too generic to extrapolate from. Our games usually result in the following conversation:

"I'm going to shoot someone."

"I'm not going to shoot someone."

I'm wondering how much everyone else discusses cards/strategy each round.

Make it vague is the name of the game. Don't start breaking down Pandemic-level strategy like 'I'm going to shoot Big Duck, so no one else go after him'.

You might say you can shoot someone, or you can see the identity of someone on your turn, etc. Don't let your players be able to fully break down a turn before playing a card. I don't even let my players discuss what card they'll play, just a little vagueness about their hand options. It *SHOULD* be surprising when your right player puts out a 'kill blue' card, kills the only parasite blue and you're forced to shoot a real blue with YOUR 'kill blue' card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason M
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, that's the direction we were leaning in

It is hilariously annoying when someone plays exactly the wrong card, thanks to lack of planning, which is entirely the point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
zerothefool wrote:
Right, that's the direction we were leaning in

It is hilariously annoying when someone plays exactly the wrong card, thanks to lack of planning, which is entirely the point.

Right--its supposed to mimic the show, where all the players are running around with guns doing things and not sitting in a pow-wow quietly discussing strategy.

Accidentally shooting a real target will happen, and its still fun when it does!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayme Thysell
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
We don't allow specific strategy talk. You can't coordinate with the other players for what you are going to do. You can't announce what card you are going to play.

You can talk about what needs to happen or what could happen. "Big Duck needs to die this turn because he's a parasite and the remaining Greens will all be Real in case there is a future Jerry."

My group is OK with people saying, "I am going to shoot something this turn" as long as they keep it vague, meaning no colors or specific characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rix Ricardo
msg tools
designer
mbmb
The rules say you 'can't discuss what cards you have in your hand' so you can't say you are or are not going to shoot someone. ONLY general strategy so you could say, 'someone should shoot X because he's a paracite' - that's it!

To keep the simple, you should ONLY discuss the identity of characters, and possible scenarios 'if' something should happen. If someone shoots 2 greens then that would be awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.