mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My other thread I said I was thinking about getting this game and chances are very positive that I will get it within the next month or so but I can tell already that I may be somewhat light on getting expansions beyond a few and if any at all.

But, in your opinion for yourself, when you bought this game what prompted you to buy expansions (if you did)?

Do you feel that you were unable to enjoy the game void of expansions or you would enjoy it without expansions but you wanted expansions because they make the game more fun or do you feel that FFG made the game impossible to enjoy unless you either got the essential expansions (whatever they are) or all of them?

I have no opinion yet since I don't own the game but when I do I will answer these question for myself.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can get 2-3 campaigns easily from the core box.

A campaign consists of 11-14 missions (usually 11 or 12), and the core box has 30+ missions. You don't need more variety until you have used up that. With all the different combinations of heroes, their skills, items, imperial class and agendas, each mission still plays differently the next time you play it. That and with the randomly available side missions, there is a lot of replaybility in just the core box.

If you play skismish, you may want to buy a boxed expansion to get more options for squad building. If you are in competitive organized play, you need all boxed expansions (for tiles) and need the figures from the ally/villain packs if you want to use those deployment groups.

Why I buy all of it:
1) I paint miniatures - expansions give me an extra thing to do.
2) I fell in love with the game, and can afford the expansions.
3) I started with IA practically from the beginning, becoming some sort of expert in it, so staying current is hard to pass by.
4) I play a lot of Play by Forum campaigns, so I start to require more variety, although there are still some missions in the core box (a few side missions and most agenda missions) that I have not played yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
artayd2
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GOGOGOG: http://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/2771
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the base game is probably good for ~20-30 or so plays in the campaign mode. After that you'll probably have seen most of the missions and played most of the characters, and at that point you'll probably want to pick up some expansions.

However, you don't need to pick up the majority of expansions. Only three of them are "major" (Twin Shadows, Hoth, Bespin) and Hoth itself has the same amount of gameplay as the base game, so you're good for another ~20 plays there.

I personally pick up every expansion as soon as it hits, but that's just because I'm a completionist and love Star Wars. But even if there hadn't been any expansions, I would've gotten my money's worth out of the base box.

(I can't speak at all to the skirmish mode, as I haven't played it, but if that's something you're interested in that adds a lot more gameplay to the base box)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
mbmbmbmbmb
artayd2 wrote:

Wow, that's a crazy good deal. wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph West
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing the core set campaign for a couple months and some skirmish on the side. We usually play two missions per play session and we play bi-weekly. We may finish the first campaign tonight.

I bought several figure expansions prior to starting the first campaign. I did this because I wanted to replace the tokens that might appear somewhere during the campaign. The core set contains the deployment cards, but does not contain figures for Han Solo, Chewbacca, Royal Guard Champion, IG-88, Rebel Troopers, or Rebel Sabateurs. Instead you get cardboard tokens representing those figures.

On the surface, that seems like a real problem, but we only have three missions to go in the core set and aside from the Royal Guard Champion and the Rebel Sabateurs, we haven't seen any of the other characters. Therefore, it is far from necessary to buy these expansions. I like to paint figures, I like to collect, and I don't really have any constraints preventing me from buying them, so I have taken the plunge and done so.

If you're just getting into the game and haven't started your first campaign, I would not buy anything beyond the core and the expansions listed above, and as previously stated, even those are not necessary to purchase.

I've bought a ton of stuff since we started the campaign and I'm fairly close to having everything currently offered, but in general, all those expansions are sitting on the shelf going unused. You cannot introduce anymore side missions to an existing campaign and you can't mess with your agenda deck as the Imperial player either. So until we start another campaign, those expansions are basically collecting dust (not really, I'm doing my best to paint them as fast as I can).

The one exception is skirmish, which I've played once. If you get into skirmish play then the expansions are constantly adding to your ability to build different squads.

So in summary, I would caution against buying expansions until you've played the core set campaign. I personally have bought into the game because I do like it a lot, I like painting, and I see us playing it a lot in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph West
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sassycat wrote:
artayd2 wrote:

Wow, that's a crazy good deal. :wow:

Yea, that's what I thought as well. As soon as I checked-out that link, I ordered a handful of things I'm missing. I don't know how CSI does it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
artayd2
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Man I wish that sale happened BEFORE I spent like $200 on the LotR:LCG sale they had like two weeks ago!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The real question is are you going to like the Core Set period?

If yes, than you're in luck because there is quite a bit of gaming to explore right in the base game. You can expand the game at your convenience, maybe just adding a mini or two, or even get a boxed expansion. Or not.

Adding more stuff to IA doesn't make it a better game if you're not too crazy about the base game in the first place. It just adds more stuff. So i would most definitely advise just buying the base game and giving it a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
The real question is are you going to like the Core Set period?

I'm thinking I'll be needing to play it first with someone who owns it.
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you intend to also play skirmish, there is a lot of replayability with the core set alone. Then add in one or two figure packs ($20?) and you have even more replayability (granted more in skirmish than campaign, but each pack does add to both).

So, if you find you like the game, you can add replayability with very few expansions. Or go nuts like us and just BUY IT ALL!!!!

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jak Mac Ewen
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
the campaign can be played with different Rebels, and varied Imperial players, so there are a ton of variable in replaying just the base set.

don't miss out on Coolstuff's sale, if you need any IA stuff!meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
"The day we stop exploring is the day we commit ourselves to live in a stagnant world, devoid of curiosity, empty of dreams." - Neil deGrasse Tyson
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At least two full campaigns. The variety of side missions and the different characters warrant at least that many playthroughs (possibly more). That is a lot of play time by the way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthJak wrote:
the campaign can be played with different Rebels, and varied Imperial players, so there are a ton of variable in replaying just the base set.

don't miss out on Coolstuff's sale, if you need any IA stuff!meeple

If there weren't 50 bucks shipping on the 50 buck order this would be a great sale...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Overseas shipping strikes again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
artayd2
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't really buy anything from them unless I am going to spend $100 which is free shipping
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game features a campaign with 2 alternative missions per story mission step and more than 2 alternative missions per side mission step, which means you can basically play the base game campaign twice without playing the same mission again (minus the first mission which is always the same).
A campaign features around 11 missions each lasting from 90min to 180mins for some epic story missions.

Since the base game comes with 6 heroes and imo the game works best with 4 heroes, you will have to use half of your party again, which can be a bit repetetive since you start again from 0XP.

Personally I bought the base game and the big box expansion Return to Hoth, so I can alternate between the base game campaign and the Hoth campaign (which features as much content as the base game campaign) and also Hoth comes with 3 new heroes, allowing for more freedom in party composition.

So is the game worth it without expansions? I do think so, because you can basically play it 20 times without replaying content. Do expansions significantly improve the first campaign play-through? Imo they don't; maybe a few extra imperial enemy-packs bring more variability (but I did not try it or found it necessary).

If you can get them in a good deal, I would maybe buy the base game and the Hoth expansion at once, but otherwise I would buy only the base game and get the Hoth expansion once you finished a campaign and really like the game and have a regular play group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Fitz
msg tools
It all depends on a lot. Over half the missions are side missions, which can vary quite a bit. Then, campaign missions are dependent on who won or lost the previous battle, so those vary too. It's more than likely, you could have several campaigns and still see a decent amount of new missions each play.

However, I'd note two things: First of all, realize that a campaign is long. Like, a single campaign will likely take a combined total of roughly twenty hours or more to complete, likely spread out across multiple days or weeks. Second, missions are replayable, especially if you (as the owner of the game) take on the role of the Empire and play with different groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
As an owner of both all of D2E and SW:IA, I've found one of the best and often overlooked when rating things about box expansions (in this case, it'd be Twin Shadows, Hoth, and Bespin) is the additional shop cards. The base game's variety in shop cards, especially with this one being divided into 3 rather than 2 pieces like D2E, is sorely lacking. After buying all 3 box expansions, those item decks are looking much better if you're a fan of variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
The main base game has a ton of replayability, but a lot depends on what you want to do. If you're doing the campaign, you can play that at least 2 times (possibly more, depending on the group), and each of those is 10+ games. If that were all you could do, than I'd say it's a lot of fun even without any expansions, and for me it would be worth the money.

If you want to do skirmish, that's where things change. If you are just doing skirmish with your friends, and everyone is building teams from your box, than you can play a ton and have lots of fun.

If you want to play skirmish more competitively with other people who own the game, that's when the expansions become more important. There are some combinations of powers/characters/etc. that you can get with the expansions that will destroy a team from the base game. If you want to be able to compete with the people who have been buying all of the stuff, you'll need to get some additional stuff as well.

That's not to say that you can't play skirmish with other people and still have fun, you just won't be as competitive as others are, and if winning is more important than playing to you, than expansions are going to be important.

So, if you like the campaign, you're good. If you like casual skirmish, you're good. If you like competitive skirmish, than you're probably going to have to invest more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.