BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Solo games with nearly zero setup time rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And I do mean nearly zero: shuffling a single deck of cards (no sorting out multiple decks or special starting cards) is about the upper limit. Custom storage solutions to minimize setup time are fine, but leaving Arkham Horror perpetually set up on your dining table and ready to play at a moment's notice doesn't count (there's still setup time, it's just being done in advance). Don't care what genre, or how crappy the game is. Just try to mention if it's crappy.

Dungeon Roll - If you store the treasure tokens in a separate opaque bag that you can draw from (and not have to separate them from the experience tokens), setup is basically just opening the box and taking a hero card, and you can start rolling for the first delve.

Catan Dice Game - Open the box, grab a score sheet and a pencil, and you're off.

Yahtzee - Same as above.

Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age - Open the box, grab a score sheet and a pencil, and put some pegs into the starting positions on your board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Delve: The Dice Game - if you print out the scenario sheet in advance and keep the rules and a pencil and the dice together in a bag, you are set. I don't know if it's crappy, but it is pretty simple.

Utopia Engine - similar to Delve the Dice Game except that it takes 2 printed pages per play instead of 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Jacksonville Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't recommend enough the following

30 Rails

Bowling Solitaire

Reiner Knizia's Decathlon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pierce
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Onirim is a good choice. Just shuffle one deck of cards and lay a few additional cards on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
SOS Titanic is nearly there. It's essentially themed solitaire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
Land 6 - Arrange six tiles randomly and start rolling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
K2 - unfold the board, shuffle the cards and go! (If you keep the cards and tokens of your preferred color in a ziploc bag, then just toss 'em out on the table and that's it). FYI, this is the shortest board game I have found with easy solo setup. Most take a bit more...so card games are the fastest setup.

FUSE - shuffle the cards, start the app timer...GO!

A Night in Deepwail Manor - shuffle the cards.

The Dungeon of D - multiuse cards. Nuff said.

Games I have not played solo but are also popular options -
The Bloody Inn
Limes
The Game

This geeklist might also be of use if your taste runs differently to the options presented -
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/204908/solo-games-you-can-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like there's some nice one-sheet print-and-play stuff I'll have to try out.

I think Fuse is slightly over the limit, as there's a bit of separating/stacking/merging that you have to do to get the deck ready; it's not simply "pull out all the cards and shuffle". Great game, though.

Land 6 looks neat. I've tried the iPhone version of it a little bit, but I haven't figured out the game enough where I can survive very long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidbrit2 wrote:
Looks like there's some nice one-sheet print-and-play stuff I'll have to try out.

Well, then +1 Delve the Dice Game and Utopia Engine. Both very fun and UE in particular is quite engaging. Also will add Jasper and Zot and it is also available as a free app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy + Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm - shuffle, grab a couple of tokens and start playing.

Indian Chief has an unofficial solo variant but I've never tried it. (Indian Chief is a bit like a card game version of Yahtzee, playing cards + pencil & paper for scoring)

Star Realms has a couple of official solo challenges in an expansion (but you can find the rules on line) and lots of unofficial solo challenges. I've only played it 2p or 4p though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it cheating if you have minimal set-up most plays with a bigger set up every few games? I have my The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game in a small box with my deck, the current scenario and the counters. All I have to do is pull out the two decks and counters, shuffle and start playing.

Set-up becomes harder when I win a scenario and am ready to move on to the next one. Then I need to sort out the cards, put them away and build the next scenario. I may also end up needing to adjust my player deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy R
United States
Germantown
Ohio
flag msg tools
Nothing but the rain.
badge
Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends dimensions of time and space.
mbmbmbmbmb
fractaloon wrote:
Is it cheating if you have minimal set-up most plays with a bigger set up every few games? I have my The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game in a small box with my deck, the current scenario and the counters. All I have to do is pull out the two decks and counters, shuffle and start playing.

Set-up becomes harder when I win a scenario and am ready to move on to the next one. Then I need to sort out the cards, put them away and build the next scenario. I may also end up needing to adjust my player deck.

I'm going to have to copy this idea, will make starting a scenario must faster than having to pull out the whole box with everything in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Onirim (second edition)

It has a lot of included expansions, and you could just add them into the deck and pre-shuffle it before putting it away (there are two slots in the box, one for the basic game and the other for the expansion cards). Then just grab the deck and start playing immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Onirim in quite a while. I'll have to pull it out again and see if it's as zero-setup as I'm looking for.

I believe I have the first edition, though. Is there any major difference in the second edition, and if so, is there any upgrade option besides buying a new one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidbrit2 wrote:
I haven't played Onirim in quite a while. I'll have to pull it out again and see if it's as zero-setup as I'm looking for.

I believe I have the first edition, though. Is there any major difference in the second edition, and if so, is there any upgrade option besides buying a new one?

There are a few additional variants included in the new addition. And unfortunately I don't think there's a way to buy them separately, but I'm not positive.

This is from the description of the new addition:

Seven mini-expansions, all standalone and compatible with one another, are included with the second edition of Onirim, including these three that were in the first edition of the game:
•"The Towers" introduces a new type of card that allows more searching and deck manipulation, while also imposing an additional victory condition.
•"Happy Dreams and Dark Premonitions" adds evil time bombs that will impede your progress at predictable moments of your quest as well as helpful but unreliable allies.
•In "The Book of Steps Lost and Found", you must find the eight Door cards in a randomly given order and may remove discarded cards from the game to cast powerful spells that will help you complete this difficult task.

Apart from these three from the first edition, there are four new modules in the Onirim 2nd edition box. Just like previously, each module consists of something that makes the game easier and something that makes the game harder:
•"The Glyphs" introduces a fourth symbol on location cards (apart from Key, Sun and Moon), which makes it easier to compose the row of unrepeated symbols. Player must then find one extra door of each color (so 12 doors in total) to win
•"The Dreamcatchers" are four cards that "guard" the Limbo piles. The Limbo pile stays with Dreamcatcher until some effect allows the player to shuffle the pile back to the deck... if all Dreamcatchers are full and new cards should come to Limbo, a Dreamcatcher is discarded and his cards shuffled back. Also, four new "Lost Dreams" cards are supposed to be in Limbo at the end of the game, as an extra winning condition - so discarding all Dreamcatchers means loss.
•"The Crossroads and Dead Ends" introduce location cards with a given symbol (3 Sun, 2 Moon, 1 Key), but serving as any color "joker". It also contains 10 "Dead End" cards, that remain in players hand (un-discard-able on its own) and block her 5-cards hand limit... until a player discards the whole hand (=the only way to discard a Dead End).
•"The Door To The Oniverse" brings several one-time abilities cards as "inhabitants of the Oniverse"... and one extra colorless door to find.

Apart from all those, there are a few special rules to use the dark meeple in the game (which interferes with Nightmare cards resolving), making the game easier or harder, depending on the chosen variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And if you like games on your phone, a couple board game adaptations that I really like for playing solo are Battlelore Command and Splendor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The Game: only requires shuffling one deck although a big deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
octodice, I've just picked up a copy, I have owned it 24 hours and played it 9 times. So addictive. no set up time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LargeGoblin
msg tools
I'd say The Cards of Cthulhu fits. You shuffle one deck of cards, lay the boards out, grab four XP coins and a character, and go. I know that's not zero, but it's pretty fast. It's a fun game, too, if a bit on the easy side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 base game of Onirim. It doesn't get easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
Race for the Galaxy + Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm - shuffle, grab a couple of tokens and start playing.

You are understating it just a tad. You have to randomize a starting world for yourself and the AI. You have to set up action board and tokens. Most people shuffle unused starting worlds back into deck, but I suppose you don't have to. You deal starting hands to you and the AI. It takes me a few minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Fleet Commander: Nimitz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Victory Point Gamestake next to no time for their solo specific games especially some of the early ones which have maybe 5 counters that start on the map. Their later ones have gotten more complex but still extremely low set-up times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Steph
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Limes
Urbion
Goblins vs Zombies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidbrit2 wrote:
I think Fuse is slightly over the limit, as there's a bit of separating/stacking/merging that you have to do to get the deck ready; it's not simply "pull out all the cards and shuffle". Great game, though.

The setup for FUSE is really minimal:
1. Shuffle the Bomb cards and deal out your cards and the display.
2. Shuffle 6 Fuse cards into the deck.
3. Start the timer and play.

During cleanup you separate out the 6 Fuse cards and you're ready for another play with the 3 setup steps above. Separating out the Fuse cards takes about 10 seconds since the deck is so small.

But if shuffling a single deck with no additional setup is truly your limit then even that is too much. If so I'd recommend playing apps instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.