Łukasz Małecki
Poland
Oława
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so the question is simple: do you have to connect the barrels with your castle to score them?
According to the rules: no.
According to the tile graphic: yes.
This is strange, because all other majority tiles have only the good symbol you need on them - so why not make a tile with whisky barrels only? But no, on the example depicted on the tile the barrels are clearly connected by roads with the castle, which suggest you should count ONLY connected barrels.
I'm confused!

And the 2nd question: completed areas. Is an area comprised of 1 tile a completed area? What I have in mind are all the small lake & small mountains on some tiles that cannot be connected to other tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Scoring - whisky barrels majority
They only have to be connected for income, not for the majority scoring tile.

An area is completed if you can see the entire natural border of that terrain regardless of the number of tiles. Note that if that terrain type extends to the edge of a tile, that tile edge is NOT the natural border. So yes, there are some tiles in which an entire completed terrain type is contained within that one tile (small mountains and lakes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Małecki
Poland
Oława
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:

Was it confirmed by the author or publisher? The rules are clear, agreed, but I still don't understand why on earth the tile clearly shows CONNECTED barrels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rednar wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

Was it confirmed by the author or publisher? The rules are clear, agreed, but I still don't understand why on earth the tile clearly shows CONNECTED barrels.

If connections were required it would say so. I guess the art was chosen simply because it looks better. Go by the rules as written unless you see the designer or publisher say otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Małecki
Poland
Oława
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We did play like that, it's just my OCD messing with me I guess.
Would also appreciate help with the 2nd issue (I was editing my post when you answered).
EDIT: I see the answer, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sören Paukstadt
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
rednar wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

While I'm not one of the designers, I can officially confirm this as a Lookout employee. Barrels have to be connected via roads only in terms of income, not scoring for the majority barrels tile.

I myself have asked the question, why the picture on the scoring tile shows it. Best two answers I got were:

1) It was thought about to make the scoring only with connected roads, too, but then changed later on. However the picture simply stayed the way it was.

2) Klemens has simply not thought about that possible problem when creating the illustration and all others were just blind to it, because the rules were clear in our heads.

Either way, its a mistake we made and apologize for, but we can't change it anymore (well maybe in the future reprints).

Happy Gaming,
Sören
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.