Mike TheRed

Pennsylvania
msg tools
Quote:
Enthrone the Barons of Battleworld
Twists 1-7: The Villain in the city or Escape Pile with the highest printed Attack ascends to become a new Mastermind. It gets +2 Attack. It gains the ability "Master Strike: Each Player discards a card with cost equal to this Mastermind's printed VP."

Quote:
Supremor
Ambush: Supremor and the Mastermind each gain a Shard.

I played this as EACH Mastermind gained a Shard, because when in doubt, I go for the more difficult option.

Anyone have another opinion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say 'the mastermind' implies only one mastermind gets the effect, and the current player should choose. I think the base rulebook says as a general rule that if there are multiple options for applying an effect and you're not otherwise directed then the current player should choose, eg 'a villain in the city gains a shard' means if there are multiple villains in the city then the current player chooses one of them to gain a shard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Release the Report
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with the Oprah principle: you get a shard, you get a shard, everyone gets a shard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I'd play it as all active Masterminds get a shard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
The way it was originally written, the idea of multiple masterminds was not even conceivable. The only time "a mastermind" was written was in conjunction with "a villain." Black Widow's Silent Sniper would definitely only hit one thing, even if multiple masterminds have bystanders. Storm's Tidal Wave has a similar effect on "the mastermind." Namor complicates things a bit, since he was even introduced in a set that had multiple masterminds as a possibility, but I'd say it's pretty clear it only lets you defeat one mastermind.
If we're going to get super-strict, almost everything that affects a Mastermind does say "the" mastermind, indicating a singular object, so anything that affects the mastermind would only affect one, including Storm. The one example I know that references multiple masterminds, strangely enough, is Cable's Strike at the Heart of Evil, but it's still just a restriction on how the attack power can be used. However, I am perfectly willing to rule on a case-by-case basis that things would affect multiple masterminds unless, like Black Widow & Namor, it's pretty unavoidably targeting one thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.