3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Laser Cutting Miniatures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
LKN Guy
msg tools
Hey guys -

I'm still at it, though realized I wasn't nearly ready to explain my game here at BGG...

But was wondering what people here thought of laser cut miniatures and pieces?

I have been using laser cut pieces for the 19 unique "War Units" in my game, which are kinda like chess pieces. I love them - they look totally beautiful, old school and unique. I also use laser cut pieces for various tokens and counters that make my game run. In all, there are a lot of them, 240 pieces that are cut from a single 12 x 18 inch piece of 1/8" plywood.

However, I've been looking into commercial production, and it seems like there are no real options for laser cutting at a large scale that are as affordable as I would think they should be.

Using a pay-by minute maker space, I can make all the pieces for my game for about $20-30. Commercial laser cutters have been quoting me $200 per game! To make this game saleable, I would need to get that down to about $10-15 (there are other parts to the game as well, this would be about 1/3 the cost).

Right now it seems like the only way to do this would be to buy a mid grade laser cutter and do it myself... which would be really cheap actually in a per-game sense, but I'd also be building a little factory, which I don't think is necessarily a great plan for me...

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely being done.

All games by Nestorgames use this.

Like this:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LKN Guy
msg tools
Wow that looks amazing.

I guess I will see if I can contact them! Any other examples?

I feel like I remember seeing a game involving what looked like laser-cut viking ships...

Much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.