Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Holmes: Sherlock & Mycroft» Forums » General

Subject: regarding the theme rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone

I have not yet played this game. only read the rules. When I first saw this game I read the box and it has a nice little story about one detective trying to convict someone and another to try and prove his innocence.

From the rules and the couple of videos out there it seems that with the actual gameplay you're just trying to collect sets of cards. There seems to be such a big disconnect between the theme and the actual gameplay.

Now like I said I haven't played it yet. I'm still debating whether to open up my copy or return it to the store for something else. For those of you who have played could you explain a little bit about what the game is actually like? What is the experience like?

I'm not bashing this game in any way so please don't think that. I'm just looking for a bit more info on what this game is like.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It is what you see on the videos, it's a set collection game with a simple worker placement mechanic. It could be about 2 farmers collecting fruit, it would be the same.
If you want it for the theme, it's not this one you need to get. There are better Sherlock(investigation) games out there.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this out yesterday finally. While the theme is weak its actually a cool game. The theme does come through just enough that i can enjoy it but i agree, it could have been a game about anything. Maybe people will do some rethemes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
I tried this out yesterday finally. While the theme is weak its actually a cool game. The theme does come through just enough that i can enjoy it but i agree, it could have been a game about anything. Maybe people will do some rethemes.


If it's a fairly abstract game that could be about anything, why would a retheme be any more satisfying than the existing theme?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin John
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pmagnus wrote:
shooshoo wrote:
I tried this out yesterday finally. While the theme is weak its actually a cool game. The theme does come through just enough that i can enjoy it but i agree, it could have been a game about anything. Maybe people will do some rethemes.


If it's a fairly abstract game that could be about anything, why would a retheme be any more satisfying than the existing theme?


Because when someone mentions a Sherlock Holmes game, people get preconceptions about what it's going to be about (usually solving crimes). A worker placement/set collection game wouldn't readily come to mind. There are other themes that are more apropos though.

For example, off the top of my head: Two museum curators are buying discovered artifacts (the clues) with money (the investigation tokens). They need to visit different people (the characters) over the course of a week (when their big museum show starts) to acquire the money and artifacts. The public's interest (the clue values) is greater the more of a complete collection each museum has. At the end of the week, when the museums' shows start, whoever has the most public interest wins.

That's just a 10 minute idea. I'm sure there are better ones. At any rate, I haven't played the game but it does seem like an odd theme choice. I would almost say it was pasted on with the hopes of drawing attention because Sherlock is 'in' right now... but there's no way of knowing and I'm not going to accuse someone with no evidence.. (heh, Sherlock metaphor).
4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Ludrick
United States
Austin
Texas (TX)
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
kevinjohn3d wrote:
I would almost say it was pasted on with the hopes of drawing attention because Sherlock is 'in' right now...


And because Sherlock Holmes is public domain.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.