Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
no realy this is blank
badge
HOBBES!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a reprint kickstarter backer and was watching Radho's runthrough last night and I got to wondering if you could seed the store in Magic the Gathering like blocks (historically 3 expansions 1 big and 2 small, and recently changed to 2 expansion sets 1 big and 1 small). I wonder if you could seed your store deck in a "block like fashion" with primarily core set cards for a few (maybe 9 cards) then transition into one expansion, then the next with some intermingling at the boarders of set change over then randomly inserting core set cards through the seeded pile. This could show a gradual change in mechanics and play types seen in CCGs.

Also in his runthrough final thoughts Radho suggested that either the tournament or deckbuilding phase would make a great game on it's own. As such I wondered if you were trying to ease people into the game could you do something akin to a sealed pre-release event for magic. Could you pick 3 expansions and a few cards from the core set and give each player some packs (set number of cards 15-20?) for them to make a deck from , no buying selling or trading. Flip the meta cards and play a tournament. one round tournament to grow familiarity for new players and help people get to know cards in a set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Concentrating an expansion too much in the store deck could hurt game balance. There are some expansions where putting lots of those cards together is good, so if they're all close together in the store, somebody is going to hit the jackpot and have a really coherent deck. I think?

In one of the very very early playtest versions, there were different tournament formats (a sealed tournament similar to what you describe, pauper tournaments with no card over 3 stars, etc.) I haven't looked through the whole arena deck, so maybe some of those ideas survived there? Anyway, I liked it and I agree that kind of thing is cool.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how much benefit to new players a sealed deck tournament is when you could also just say, "If you aren't sure what to do in your first round, ignore selling and trading and use your $30 to buy 10 core set cards, then you'll have 25 cards to make your deck with."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hai Kulture
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
Shunning Bandersnatches Daily
badge
Gamer Girl: "I've Touched Boob Today"
mbmbmbmbmb
The best way of easing people into the game is through the Pre-release Tournament and the Starter Build for the Store. I also find that gradually building up the 'Freebie' deals per Deckbuilding rounds from smaller increments to the six prevents overwhelming.

We have done random deal Tourneys as just playing the Tourney separately at the end of the night. We call them 'Clean Up' Tournaments because we do them right before the pack away sort. We take all the cards on the table - binders, hands, promos, discards, and mix them into a giant STORE and then just deal everyone 15 random cards to make the best of in a Sealed Tourney.

It is fun and chaotic but completely uneven as you may not wind up with a Deckbox or anything necessary for a good play. It is just a puzzle exercise and a way to get one more hand in at the end of the night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Shackelford
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
34 cards, don't forget the starter deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a similar idea, partly to make the store deck more manageable to shuffle.

What if instead of having one giant store deck you split the core deck into three, and then shuffle in the extra sets, five into each?

Basically you end up with three smaller store decks, and then use one per round or just go through them in order. Sets do come out together, but still distributed through a fairly large deck since each chunk of the store deck is still over a hundred cards.

It'd make setup and teardown even more of a pain if you're planning on playing more than one game in a sitting, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.