Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Sapp
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a good turn out for game night last Saturday and ended up with 6 players. Our group is loathe to split up into two games so my wife picked Alhambra as her game of choice since is says that it is playabe by six.
Our experience was that the wait time between turns was too long with that many players. We were being sociable and it was the first play for three of the players which certainly slowed things down a little.

What is the max number of players that you recommend for this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Cachia
United States
Springfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played a couple of times. I have played with three and I have played with four, and both of those numbers worked for me. I wouldn't choose to play with more, for a couple of reasons.

1) There's nothing to do on another player's turn (except planning for your turn, but see below about that). This would probably bother me much less in Alhambra than in some other games, because turns are quite fast, but when we get up to 5 or more players, I am generally looking for something more interactive.

2) The one thing you can do on other players' turns is to plan your turn. Look at the available cards, look at the available tiles, look at everyone's alhambras. The more players you have, though, the more often you see something you want get snatched up before your turn, and the less opportunity you have for your choices to have an impact on the game outcome. It's an obvious point that the more players you have, the less control a player can exert, sure, but in my mind, there's generally a tipping point in the number of players where winning or losing becomes too dependent on the luck of the draw, and not dependent enough on the actions of the players. My guess is that Alhambra would pass that point for me by the time we reached 5 players.

That's a lot of blather from a guy who's only played the game twice, so take it all with a grain of salt.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lantern314 wrote:
What is the max number of players that you recommend for this game?

Three is best. Four is ok. Never play with more than 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My problem with six players mostly is what was mentioned earlier, the inability to really plan. Since by the time it's your turn most likely the tiles have completely changed.
The first expansion has a component that helps with this to a small extent, and before I got the expansion I played the same rule using home made tiles to recreate the vizier tile play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most, if not all, German multiplayer games are playtested and designed to be played by 3-4 players. Anything above or below that will detract from the 'perfect' gamesituation is some way, and the number of player will usually not even be included as an option unless it is a least possible to get enjoyment out of the game.

While I don't mind the chaos a 6-player game gives, it requires that all players not taking so serious that it overstays it welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Johnston
United Kingdom
Isle of Wight
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
While I don't mind the chaos a 6-player game gives, it requires that all players not taking so serious that it overstays it welcome.

I agree. My group quite often ends up playing Alhambra six handed (often cause we weren't expecting six). As long as everyone plays quickly and doesn't take it too seriously it works okay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.